Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just a little concerned because this morning she didn't get her normal amount for breakfast cuz we were basically out of her food so this evening I may have given her an extra big helping for dinner and shortly after eating it all she layed down and was reall still just staring up at me like maybe she had that "way too full" feeling and maybe had a tummy ache or something.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If dogs eat too much at once they can definitely feel bloaty & too full just like we can. In really extreme cases that's called "food bloat" which occasionally needs veterinary attention, but most of the time they just to sleep it off.

I used to have a dog who once busted into and ate an entire 2 or 3 pound bag of dog treats and she did a lot of laying around feeling sorry for herself that day.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have an adult dog ( almost 6 years old) who just did that ... it was a $234 tummy ache and a day in the hospital. :/ Careful how much you feed and watch out for sneaky pups too! Lol! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replys. My husband says i'm just a big worry wart! But hey, she's my lil' baby!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
Given the opportunity, hounds, labs and guppies will eat until they die.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I used to live with a dog whose dearest wish is to be obese. Once, right after he was rescued, he got into his bag of dog food and ate easily 5 pounds. No one realized until later that night, when he got sick all over the doormat. He was ill for days afterwards. Yes, some dogs will eat themselves sick!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Make sure you don't let a dog gorge on kibble. I've heard it can kill them.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
LOL, that sounds familiar. Kit was overweight when I got her, as a 7mo old puppy, despite a very high activity level. I trimmed her down nicely, but the fat girl is still under there somewhere.
LOL, that sounds familiar too! This dog, he's a black terrier mix, had been in the shelter for awhile before he got rescued (around age 2), and he was overweight when my roommate brought him home. It takes a special dog with real dedication to food to get fat in a shelter!

Kit looks great btw - her inner fat girl is definitely invisible! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts