Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Your "dog" is still a puppy and not fully housebroken. It can take up to a year (or more) for a dog to be 100% trustworthy. If he's peeing in the house and you're not noticing until some point afterwards, he has too much freedom right now. Go back to the basics - supervise him constantly, when you can't supervise him crate him instead. Take him out regularly. Personally I wouldn't allow a puppy to use a doggy door - imo it make housebreaking harder since you're aren't in control or even aware of when he is going and what his potty schedule is.

Have you taken him to the vet to rule out any health issues?

Not to be harsh, but if this one issue is enough for you to consider re-homing him maybe you should. He is going to have other issues come up in his life, especially when he's old. Finding a more permanent home now will be easier.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I guess the first thing I would do is try to figure out when it's happening, which should be fairly simple if he's supervised all the time. If it's at the same time each day you could be proactive and take him out to the bathroom well before he has a chance to go in the house. It could be happening at night, in which case, crating him at night would solve the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts