Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 7 month old beagle mix that's been with us for 5 months. He has one very distinct problem, he uses his doggy door to pee outside 99% of the time but the one percent he doesn't is always in the same spot under the end table next to the couch. Thank God it's laminate flooring there.

I've tried everything to stop him. The areas been cleaned with everything known to man including pure bleach. I've sprayed the area with water/vinegar mix, water/bleach mix, pure lemon juice, and a few other things that were recommend online.

I've used pet deterrent sprays from Amazon and that doesn't stop him. I laid a piece of plastic about the size of a car window (not windshield) over the area and he'll pee on that. I've put his food and water bowl there and he'll just pee on his bowls. He did it once when his bowl had food in it. Iv'e blocked the area off with boxes and he'll try to get through them, which he's done, or he'll pee on top of the box or right next to it.

The area is small, probably one square foot, but it's always exactly the same spot. This has been going on for months now.

So the wife is fed up. It's not every day but damn close that we'l find a puddle under the end table. And only under the end table, nowhere else. She can't take it anymore, says if the dog hasn't stopped by now he won't, and there's no way she wants to deal with this for as long as the dog lives. She says the dog has to go. I'm leaning towards agreeing with her.

Besides that the dog is well behaved, knows commands like sit and lay down, will follow me outside to pee if I go first, no behavior problems except this one.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Your "dog" is still a puppy and not fully housebroken. It can take up to a year (or more) for a dog to be 100% trustworthy. If he's peeing in the house and you're not noticing until some point afterwards, he has too much freedom right now. Go back to the basics - supervise him constantly, when you can't supervise him crate him instead. Take him out regularly. Personally I wouldn't allow a puppy to use a doggy door - imo it make housebreaking harder since you're aren't in control or even aware of when he is going and what his potty schedule is.

Have you taken him to the vet to rule out any health issues?

Not to be harsh, but if this one issue is enough for you to consider re-homing him maybe you should. He is going to have other issues come up in his life, especially when he's old. Finding a more permanent home now will be easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your advice and will start over with some basics. We haven't supervised him since he learned his doggy door months ago. All day/night he's been going out on his own. It's just the one spot he pees in the house that's go me stumped. Everything else is fine. There's just something about that one spot the dog is drawn to and I can't figure out why.

He got a clean bill of health last month at his vet appointment.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I guess the first thing I would do is try to figure out when it's happening, which should be fairly simple if he's supervised all the time. If it's at the same time each day you could be proactive and take him out to the bathroom well before he has a chance to go in the house. It could be happening at night, in which case, crating him at night would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agree with what Jen2010 said. Crate him when inside. No freedom. Rewards for going outside. Put in the effort. No freedom for the next 3-4 months. He is either crated, working with you, or outside.

This is a beagle and they are bred to be independent so you have to make doing the right thing in his best interest with good food rewards for going outside (means you have to go out with him).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts