Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is pain med optional when you spay or neuter your pet? I really dont understand this. We had our dog spayed just over two weeks ago and they asked if we would like the optional pain med ($30 package includes tattoo) we did take it and now we are sending our cat in tomorrow (wanted to do them both at once but cat went missing for weeks, because he got out) and again an optional charge for pain med (which again we are purchasing). Why dont they just add it to the price of the surgery and give an optional tattoo? Isnt it inhumaneto give your pet surgery and not give any pain med??

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Some animals don't experience pain enough to require meds - at least they don't appear too. It's the same for humans. A lot of people opt out of pain meds when they can. If I remember right we didn't use the pain meds after Dakota was spayed and she did fine. It was a struggle to keep her from getting TOO active after the surgery and subsequently pop the stitches. Some dogs just recover fast.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then how would you know whether or not they can tolerate the pain? Or would they automatically give them some anyways and those who pay get charged and those who dont get something anyways?

I really am just curious about this :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
With my cats my vet gave an IM shot of pain medicine before they came home (standard, not optional), and told us to call if they seem to be in pain to get more meds. Males always seemed to do fine, but one female seemed to be pretty miserable for a day or so. I can't imagine not giving the females anything.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think it just depends on your particular dog and how well you can read him. Some will whine and cry, some will act not like themselves, some will refuse to move, etc. Some dogs only give a real subtle sign that they're feeling pain.

It's really up to you, though. If you think your dog is better off having that 'safety net' from the pain meds, then I say go for it. For those dogs that really don't show any reaction to the surgery at all...I don't think it's a necessity. And for some dogs it's more traumatic to try and get them to swallow pills then it is to just let them be. In the end, it's just about making the choice that seems right to you for your situation.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey didn't get pain meds when she got spay.. They may have given her something while she was still at the vet, but nothing that we took home.. We had them use the laser surgery on her because it's supposed to be safer, heal faster and bleed less and such. When we brought her home she didn't seem to be in any pain at all.. she wanted to go right back into her normal routine but I had to at least try and keep her quiet for a while. She didn't act any different though.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Our vet does surgeries in the morning, they spend the afternoon waking up and being evaluated, given a dose of pain meds just before they leave...and if the vet observes during the afternoon that the dog seems to be in more than average pain he gives you a few pain meds for the next day or two, you can refill as necessary.

Why? Because many people don't want to pay for something they may not use. I've had several dogs spayed and never given a pain med at home and never noticed any distress from any of the girls.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Esther came home with Rimadyl and didn't need them. I almost took them myself.

Still, I'd rather pay for them and have them and maybe not need them than to have a dog in pain in the middle of the night and have to call the e-vet.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
we never did the pain killers. My vet gives them as optional, some vets make you take them and pay big bucks for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts