Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Shih Tzu and I decided to try Wild Calling's Shepherd's Choice canned food and she started out ok with it but eventually her poop went from ok to soft to diarrhea for a few days. I had to give her pumpkin and I switched her to Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach canned food and Solid Gold Hund N' Flocken Lamb, Brown Rice and Barley canned food. I'm going to assume that Wild Calling had too much protein and/or fat when converted on a dry matter basis. But, if that's the case, why can my dog tolerate Solid Gold's Hund N' Flocken canned food when its analysis is similar? Could it be that Solid Gold has grains while the Wild Calling is grain-free?

Here is Wild Calling Shepherd Choice ingredients and nutrient profile:
Guaranteed Analysis / Calories

Crude Protein (min.)8.0%Crude Fat (min.)8.0%Crude Fiber (max.)1.0%Moisture (max.)78.0%

CALORIE CONTENT
(ME Calculated) 1293 kcal/kg, 484 kcal/can

Lamb, Water Sufficient For Processing, Lamb Liver, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Cassia Gum, Xantham Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Here is the nutrition information from Solid Gold Hund N' Flocken canned food:

Crude Protein (Min.) 8.5%
Crude Fat (Min.) 8.5%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.5%
Moisture (Max.) 78.0%

Calories Metabolizable Energy (calculated) 1,475 kcal/kg 552 kcal/can

Lamb, Water Sufficient For Processing, Lamb Liver, Ocean Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Carrots, Barley, Canola Oil, Cassia Gum, Xanthan Gum, Oatmeal, Alfalfa Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Olive Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have a Shih Tzu and I decided to try Wild Calling's Shepherd's Choice canned food and she started out ok with it but eventually her poop went from ok to soft to diarrhea for a few days. I had to give her pumpkin and I switched her to Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach canned food and Solid Gold Hund N' Flocken Lamb, Brown Rice and Barley canned food. I'm going to assume that Wild Calling had too much protein and/or fat when converted on a dry matter basis. But, if that's the case, why can my dog tolerate Solid Gold's Hund N' Flocken canned food when it's analysis is similar? Could it be that Solid Gold has grains while the Wild Calling is grain-free?

Here is Wild Calling Shepherd Choice ingredients and nutrient profile:
Guaranteed Analysis / Calories

Crude Protein (min.)8.0%Crude Fat (min.)8.0%Crude Fiber (max.)1.0%Moisture (max.)78.0%

CALORIE CONTENT
(ME Calculated) 1293 kcal/kg, 484 kcal/can

Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Sunflower Oil,

Here is the nutrition information from Solid Gold Hund N' Flocken canned food:

Crude Protein (Min.) 8.5%
Crude Fat (Min.) 8.5%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.5%
Moisture (Max.) 78.0%

Calories Metabolizable Energy (calculated) 1,475 kcal/kg 552 kcal/can

Ocean Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Carrots, Barley, Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Alfalfa Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Olive Oil,
I removed the common ingredients for you. Possibly the lower fiber content or possibly it's a different sort made the difference. The first food gets fiber from guar gum and the SG doesn't use that particular type of gum. Or she got into something extra that day or you put an extra spoonful in her dish. Perhaps she does better with fiber contained in well cooked veggies than highly refined fibers like found in gums. Possibly but unlikely the type of oil matters. Even less likely that the calcium source matters. Does the Solid Gold say it is a complete and balanced food? No calcium source listed. Lamb or fish MEALS commonly have a lot of bone included, unsure if lamb or a listed fish would.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Solid Gold says it's nutritionally complete and balanced for maintenance. I know that my dog had a terrible time anytime that I fed a high protein/high fat food such as Orijen, Acana and any similar foods. She'd get the worse diarrhea until I went down to moderate protein and either low or moderate fat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts