Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My family has had a golden retriever for eleven years. She is relatively well trained and hasn't gone to the bathroom inside the house for years, since she was a puppy, except for a few rare occasions when she was particularly terrified of thunder storms.

However, all of the sudden, about a week ago, she started peeing inside the house. She doesn't even try to alert us she has to go first, since usually if she needs to go she stands over by the door and barks. Now, she just pees right in the living room, usually around the same spot. She has done this multiple times in the last week.

Is there any reason why a well-trained dog would all of the sudden start peeing inside the house? Could it be some sort of health issue? Anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
This definitely could be something health related like a UTI or other infection. I would have a vet take a look.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious. :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yes, you need to look at health issues first.

Also, are you cleaning the spot with an enzyme cleaner? If not, she may smell the previous spots, and it makes her want to go again.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
At her age, it's most likely a health issue. Could be cognitive dysfunction, too. A vet check is definitely in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts