Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK does anyone have an idea why Porsche who is dog friendly would attack another dog.
ok here the story my mom told me as i was out with my other half for dinner and what not. Her friend came over with her almost one year old dog,(i don't like the dog at all) i guess they were fine for a bit and then Porsche attack the dog. she not sure if it was do to having the raw hide bones down or maybe cause the dog was to close for Nyx for Porsche liking. Also didn't help as Nyx didn't like the dog and was probably barking at it. she usually does this now to get a dog to play or she is unsure of a dog

ok please note that i have had 5 dogs in the house 3 labs, Porsche and nyx with raw hide bones down and Porsche didn't attack at all. we go to the dog park and i take her to the water where other dogs are and she is totally fine with them all.
Porsche and nyx right now are never apart mostly unless sleeping or a take nyx with me to pick up my bf.

I am totally pissed at both my mom and her friend for having the other dog here while i wasn't as I have told my mom more then once i don't want her friend's dog around my pup. Reason being as this dog has tried to attack my mom twice and it has no manners. It has fear aggression i think.

So right now I am trying to figure out if i have to work on Porsche on dog issues or it was just that one dog.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For lack of a better explanation, maybe Porsche just doesn't put up with that BS?

My dog, Spirit loves to play with other dogs and is generally friendly but she will bare teeth and growl when my friend's dog plays too rough or attempts to monopolize my attention. Most likely she is dog friendly but has no patience for rude dogs.

And what do you mean by "attack"? Did Porsche draw any meaningful amount of blood? Generally speaking I believe dogs have about 4 levels of agitation. 1) barking and snapping in front of the target. 2) A "bite" that may be somewhat painful but doesn't break the skin. 3) A bite that breaks the skin. 4) Mauling.
I've been on the receiving end of 1 through 3 and can say they are very different in my mind. Only #3 and #4 qualifies as an attack in my book while 1 & 2 are strong warnings or attempted corrections from the offended dog.

As usual, I'd defer to the other experts here as I am not one. I'm just a guy who believe he halfway understands his dog and gets along with other people's dogs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You need to have been there to see what actually went down.

Not saying your mother will not tell you the truth but word descriptions cannot cover all the preliminary lead up body language that she probably did not see.

From what you have reported above I would guess the other dog probably showed some fear, probably snapped at Porsche and Porsche responded.

Not knowing your home situation but on the face of it I think it a bit rich for you to tell your mom she cannot have her friends over if they bring a dog. Rather tell your mum to put your dog outside or in your bedroom or in another room , until the visitor has gone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not totally sure how bad it was but no blood drawn i know that. I am thinking it may have been snapping and getting close to a bite. I know she will stand her ground she is a 145.2lbs and about 25inches at withers as of 2 days ago could be a bit less now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
her friend can come over. but i don't want a dog that may attack me in my own home at my house. My mom friend lives only 2 blocks away.(note: her dog has been know to try and bite or attack my mom and me at times the dog used to be great and i could take him for a walk and have no issues)
Even my mom agree that her friends dog is not allowed over as its not well behaved. Also this dog is not cat friendly and i have 2 cats another reason why i don't want it around. would like to come home and not find out the dog attack one of my cats.

My mom now saying she wasn't trying to bite the dog just pin him which to me means a bite and pin.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
My mom now saying she wasn't trying to bite the dog just pin him which to me means a bite and pin.
Hmm, pin and "bite and pin" really are two different things.
My very well socialized, dog friendly dog WILL pin (with his mouth open, teeth visible and against the other dog) a dog that is not behaving. He puts no pressure behind it and it is not in any way a bite. It is not unusual for a well socialized adult dog to try to teach the "rules of the house" like this.

So she very well could have been trying to reprimand the other dog as opposed to attack the other dog. At 145 lbs (even overweight), she has the ability to do serious damage if she wanted to. So if there was no blood or marks on the other dog, then it really indicates to me that she was not fully attacking but more like trying to put the other dog in it's place.

I might be missing something from your story, I find your posts a little hard to follow grammatically (confusing) but I wouldn't stress too much about your dog being aggressive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry about that, I was still half a sleep when i wrote it and kind of pissed off at my mom still. I read it now and I am totally confused myself. I think i will make sure I am wide awake and reread what i wrote just to double check everything so i don't confuse people like that.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Simple solution: don't let that dog come to your house. Dog fights aren't fun. Plus, why would your mother let a dog into her house that has tried biting her???

·
Banned
964 Posts
My dog seems to have very good judgement as how to behave in a variety of situations.
Shes Very Animal and People friendly...but..
When she encounters a strange dog that behaves threatening towards her or me , She goes into protection mode. I didnt train her to be protective ...She was just born that way.

I dont think your Dog attacked the other dog to cause it harm..
I think your dog may have just been standing its ground , and thats a good thing.
(but I wasnt there ..so Im just offering a thought of what may have happened)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I still am amazed at how many people think it's totally fine to allow strange dogs into their house with their dogs. For most dogs it's just not something they're going to be thrilled about having. Some dogs for sure, but for most dogs even if they don't instantly snark at a strange dog, doesn't mean they're going to be thrilled or put up with a lot. Having more than one dog makes it that much harder. In other words you have a pack, so respect their pecking order and don't push it by letting new dogs come in all the time. Or have the rule that if a 'new' dog has to come into the house, all of your dogs go into crates for that time. (not getting into the whole 'alpha' thing by using the word pack, btw, just that dogs tend to be protective of their stuff/house)

It's hard to say exactly what the situation was, unless you really now your dog, the situation and the possible triggers for your dog. My old golden HATED dogs that barked a lot. We did flyball, and my DH took her to the practice for me one time. He came home saying she 'got into a fight' with another dog - totally not something she'd do. Boils down to he was ignoring her, had her at the end of the leash not paying attention, and standing right next to the dog that comes to flyball and barks the whole time non-stop. So of course she got sick and tired of the noise and told the barker off, never touched him but still got on his case to knock it off. Explained to DH that next time he took her she does not like the barking, so to not stand right where she has to listen to it and she'd be fine. In any other situation she was bomb proof, the type of dog that would drop her stick, give a wag of her tail and drop off as a response to an aggressive dog charging up to her at the park (very deflating to the other dog to get the 'it's a silly stick, really!' response).

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with Shell and pi!otguy... I'm assuming that your dog is a Rottie. They may be safe, sweet, and gentle, but if another dog starts something, they don't back down... I think Porche merely said back-off, b/c she could've easily damaged the dog with one bite and shake. I don't expect your friend or mother to have the dog-awareness, but I could imagine the other dog giving her the evil-eye, maybe even a low growl, trying to sniff what Porche was doing, and she did a quick reprimand, teeth maybe never touching skin...this time. If this is the only time and the only dog... I wouldn't worry for now.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I may be too cautious but i wouldn't have my dog with other dogs unless they've proven they can get along and I need to be there. Also, no rawhides around unless dogs are crated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
<snip>she is a 145.2lbs and about 25inches at withers as of 2 days ago could be a bit less now.
Holy cow ... that's a seriously overweight dog.

I agree with Shell and pi!otguy... I'm assuming that your dog is a Rottie. They may be safe, sweet, and gentle, but if another dog starts something, they don't back down... <snip>
The not backing down can sometimes be an issue with a rottweiler. Most rotties must therefore be closely watched with new 'doggy friends' until they have established a "working order".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts