Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog trys to scratch the water out of his automatic waterer. Why is he doing this? He also sometimes turnsover his food dish. Both behaviors happen in his kennel. I know he would rather be in the back yard but is this why he is doing this. I sometimes feed him on the patio in the back yard.

He has me confused and frustrated.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I think the question you meant to ask is why not?

You just need to know one thing about the whys. Dogs do what works.

Is the automatic waterer like the hamster type? An upside down water bottle with a spigot? If so, he needs something else to do. Preferable before entering the kennel so that he's tired and will want to nap. But a frozen stuffed Kong is more interesting than a spigot to most dogs. Interestingly enough the Kong also solves the food bowl problem. Can't tip over a food bowl if the food is in a Kong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the question you meant to ask is why not?

You just need to know one thing about the whys. Dogs do what works.

Is the automatic waterer like the hamster type? An upside down water bottle with a spigot? If so, he needs something else to do. Preferable before entering the kennel so that he's tired and will want to nap. But a frozen stuffed Kong is more interesting than a spigot to most dogs. Interestingly enough the Kong also solves the food bowl problem. Can't tip over a food bowl if the food is in a Kong.
It is a bowl with a hose that runs to the spiget. It fills to a level and shut offs when the float in it rises to a certain level. We give him Kongs with peanut butter and treats sometimes.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Ahh, so he's probably seeing that float moving around, and what dog wouldn't be enticed by a fish-like creature in his bowl? Short of changing to a different kind of waterer, and trying something that keeps your dog from doing what works, perhaps you could make a lid to the water bowl such that it's only big enough for a tongue and not a paw.

I like to feed Elsa with Kongs. I'm content with the idea that a dog preferes to work for food than not. So we keep a number of Kongs around to give her daily ration of food. If you don't care to go that route, fastening the food bowl to a piece of plywood, or something like it, would also end the bowl tipping.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Funny you should post this today as I am having the same issue with my 5 month old mini poodle...I think for her though it's because there is a painted on puppy on the bottom of the bowl, so when she's drinking it, it causes some movement in the water which of course make the puppy on the bottom look like its moving as well. I'm not sure if this is why Ruby is doing it, but I went and bought a new bowl tonight. if she keeps it up though she is going to to have to go to another type of waterer.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca stopped doing this when we switched to using a feeder that holds her two bowls (water and wet food). Feeding kibble out of a kong is a good idea, too. We also put her kibble on a flat plastic mat that we put on the floor. No bowls to tip! Sometimes it's just easier to find another way to do something and I'd rather spend training time on more important things than food bowls.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
As CP says there is no rule that a dog must eat his food at once from a bowl. I think that method was designed to be convenient for people.

I often feed Atka in a Buster Cube. She gets 2.5 cups of kibble a day. During the winter when it is miserable cold and dark, that Buster Cube can use up 20 minutes of time keeping her occupied. It might be less time but Oliver (her cat) helps her and she hurries so he doesn't get her dog kibble.

More exercise and training might help. Remember, a tired dog is a good dog!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts