Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Whereas I consider Webster "small" at 23lbs, 17.5" and Kim "normal/upper end of medium" at 53lbs, 23". They represent about as small a dog as well as close to the upper size limit that I would seek. So my sister's 8lb dog is, to me, an "itty bitty" size...whatever that translates to in miniature/toy/etc. terms. Cute, but itty-bitty, lol.

Then again I also consider basset hounds to be Large dogs, though they fly in the face of the height many people seem to require to consider a dog large.
I have a 15 lb cocker spaniel that I would call a small to medium sized dog. I have a basset that I would call a large dog. He's 45 lbs, but can get to stuff that a 100 lb mastiff could get to. He's short, but in terms of size and bulk, he's a large dog IMO.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Somewhere there's probably an "official" list of what constitutes small, medium or large for dogs.
I recall that "medium" was considered to be from about 25 lbs. to about 45 lbs.. Anything over 100 lbs. was considered "giant". I don't know how official those standards were, but that was in the days before 75 lb. Springer Spaniels became a not-uncommon sight.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It's funny how everybody seems to have different ideas of what counts as 'big'. To me, I focus more on width than actual height or weight. To me, an English Bulldog is "bigger" than a Great Dane.

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts
Here's Ron's Rule. You can take it or leave it, but it works for me.

If a dog can fall asleep on my lap without cutting off my circulation, it's a small dog.

If I can comfortably pick up a dog, it's medium.

If I could pick it up in a serious emergency (and providing the dog is cooperative) but regret it later, it's a large dog.

If attempting to pick up the dog causes me to pull muscles I didn't realize I had, making it impossible to lift a gallon of milk for the next three months, it's a giant dog. I might get as many as two paws off the ground, but that's it and, by then, the dog is probably growling at me.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Here's Ron's Rule. You can take it or leave it, but it works for me.

If a dog can fall asleep on my lap without cutting off my circulation, it's a small dog.

If I can comfortably pick up a dog, it's medium.

If I could pick it up in a serious emergency (and providing the dog is cooperative) but regret it later, it's a large dog.

If attempting to pick up the dog causes me to pull muscles I didn't realize I had, making it impossible to lift a gallon of milk for the next three months, it's a giant dog. I might get as many as two paws off the ground, but that's it and, by then, the dog is probably growling at me.
I like that, lol.

I'd like to add one though...if I can pick up and carry the dog comfortably with one hand, it's a miniature/toy sized dog.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Using Ron's rules - Wally is either small or medium. He could probably fall asleep on your lap and you wouldn't realize it, but he could easily be picked up.

Then again, the following rule - would he be a toy dog (I can pick Wally up with one hand/arm).

He's 14 lb and about 13" tall at the withers.

I don't know about a trend to larger dogs (I'd consider most of those listed as Medium as I think that's what they are "officially" classed), but I know Wally's one of the smallest dogs in the neighborhood - and probably a couple neighborhoods. I've seen a group of tiny litle dogs being walked, but they are probably pups.

There's a few dogs I've seen that are smaller than Wally, but every other dog is easily medium and then there was the Great Dane and some BIG dog that I have no idea what he is. In fact, she had two BIG dogs walking - but both seemed really gentle (as gentle as a dog that big could probably be anyway)

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts
The only one of those rules that really matters is the last one.

The first time we went to a do-it-yourself dogwash, I tried to pick up my 115# lab to get him up in the sink area. It accomplished nothing (we bathed him on the floor,) annoyed the dog immensely, and injured me in ways I didn't think possible.

In a more serious matter, years later he suffered from degenerative disc disease. There were a couple of incidents where he was incapacitated and there was very little I could do for him without help.

That may be when I decided that my next dog would be at least slightly smaller. I wouldn't carry Esther around for a lark, but I could get her in the car if she couldn't walk.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I consider my 7 lb dog small and not tiny. 7 lbs seems pretty normal nowadays.
I don't have a cat :eek: under 10 pounds here..
I like Paps a LOT.. even if they are smaller than the cats!

I have a 15 lb cocker spaniel that I would call a small to medium sized dog. I have a basset that I would call a large dog. He's 45 lbs, but can get to stuff that a 100 lb mastiff could get to. He's short, but in terms of size and bulk, he's a large dog IMO.
I have two cats bigger than your Cocker.....

The only one of those rules that really matters is the last one.

The first time we went to a do-it-yourself dogwash, I tried to pick up my 115# lab to get him up in the sink area. It accomplished nothing (we bathed him on the floor,) annoyed the dog immensely, and injured me in ways I didn't think possible.

In a more serious matter, years later he suffered from degenerative disc disease. There were a couple of incidents where he was incapacitated and there was very little I could do for him without help.

That may be when I decided that my next dog would be at least slightly smaller. I wouldn't carry Esther around for a lark, but I could get her in the car if she couldn't walk.
Yeah. That hit home...

My last dog was 95 pounds. She was the best dog ever, but when she had trouble as you describe your lab having, it was real hard to do much to help her.

I was going to get a Border Collie because I never wanted a huge dog again.. then I got Atka and she is 68.5 pounds and ideal wieght and size IMO.

·
Super Moderator
11,491 Posts
I used to walk Cubby in semi-remote areas before everyone had cell phones. (Who was I gonna call, anyway?)

I'm a worse-case-scenerio kinda guy and I sometimes wondered what I would do if he were injured and couldn't walk back to the car.

I started keeping a large plastic tobaggon in my vehicle with blankets and straps to secure him. I figured I could drag him back to my car if I had to and wrestle him up the ramp that was always there.

And that makeshift stretcher is how my son and I got him up the stairs and out the door the day we had him euthanized. God Bless him, though, he walked into the vet under his own power with a lot more grace, dignity and nobility than I myself was able to muster.

Crap. Gotta go find a Kleenex.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't have a cat :eek: under 10 pounds here..
I like Paps a LOT.. even if they are smaller than the cats!
Lol, under 10 lbs has it's moments. I can carry all four at once if I really needed to, I can scoop them up with one hand, I can have all four (plus probably a few more if we had them) sitting on me at once and feel all my limbs...

Though, miraculously one 7 lb dog is still capable of hogging the entire full sized bed. I've found that out the hard way after being pushed into the floor by Summer.

Most the time they don't feel small... until I see a pic like this:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I second the pug thing. The most popular dogs where I live (Eastern PA) are pugs, labs, and pit bull mixes. When I'm walking around, some days it seems like there's someone walking a pug on every block. It's some kind of weird trend or something. I think they're super cute, but too small for my taste.
As far as dog sizes go, I think they are too varied to encompass in three sizes. I think there should be five: extra small (less than twenty pounds), small (beagles), medium (pit bulls, border collies), large (labs, german shepherds), and giant (newfoundland, great dane).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hrmm...I wonder what sams would be considered. At the large end, they are 75 lbs. At the small end, probably closer to 55.

I know that sams used to be much larger then they are now.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I really, really would like to have a mastiff one day, but size is the big thing for me. If anything happened to that dog there's no way I'd be able to move it. I way 130. The dog would likely outweigh me. I suppose I could invest in a forklift.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Shoot, I have a friend who weighs 100lbs and somehow she manages 3 Great Danes... I don't know how she does it!

I don't know what it is, but I have always loved dogs on the larger end of the spectrum (medium to large, not really so much giant). Maybe it's because I am small and I have a complex?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts