Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie is 9-months-old now and has always been gassy and had soft stools. He did have giardia when we first brought him home. We treated the giardia and he has checked out fine by our vet since. His stools have firmed up since then, but not completely. They are kind of like soft serve ice cream. We started him on EVO, but decided to switch to something with a bit less protein, thinking maybe it was too much for his system. We switched to Wellness Puppy. The food really hasn't made a difference in his gas or stools. He has really bad smelling gas daily. I thought it was diet related, but a couple of times when I have been at my aunt's house, Louie has snuck some science diet kibble from her dog's bowl. The Science Diet made his stools firm and normal looking..and less gas too.

Do I want to switch to a corn-filled kibble to prevent gas and ice cream poop? No! I'm out of ideas...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A little oat bran in his food will firm up his stools (same result as corn-filled dog food, but healthier :D ).

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
No, you don't want to switch to horrible quality kibble. Give him some pumpkin with his food every day. That will firm up his stools. Be sure you're not over feeding him - overfeeding does that. You may wish to try other good quality kibbles and see how he does with them before thinking about going to Science Death...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why the gas? I ask that same question about myself. :D Seriously, dogs are like people and who knows what it is that they eat that gives them gas. I had two dogs with terrible gas and loose stools and once I took them completely off of grains, both issues resolved almost immediately. Their constant feet licking and tear staining disappeared as well.

Wellness Puppy looks like a good quality food but it does contain sweet potatoes and fruit which can make dogs gassy. Too much fruit can also cause diarrhea as can allergies to any number of things in dog food. I was lucky to discover rather quickly that my dogs don't tolerate grains. I hope you are as lucky to quickly find whatever it is affecting your baby.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts