Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some opinions on a diarrhea problem that my pup has been having. I know that nothing here should be taken as medical truth, but I was hoping to get some ideas on the seriousness of it, what to ask the vet, possible causes, possible treatments etc.

Problem: 2 yr old sheltie has bouts of diarrhea sporadically, maybe every 2 weeks. Only lasts for 1 day, maybe 1 1/2 days. Diarrhea is very watery, almost like puke sometimes and after the 2nd or 3rd BM small flecks of blood appear.

Other Info: Generally healthy dog. Broke a tooth which got infected a few weeks ago. Had that removed at the vet, found out he had flea and tape worms at the same time. He's been on flea preventive, but it doesn't seem to be working. He's allergic to the bites (not deathly so, but huge bumps appear) and fleas like him the best. Our other dog doesn't have fleas (we've checked with a flea comb and treated him as well). He doesn't get raw bones anymore because it aggravates the diarrhea. He's fed California Naturals chicken and rice and was on TOTW. He did well on TOTW, but we like to try new foods for variety. He did have diarrhea on that as well.

I'm getting frustrated (and disgusted) cleaning up so much diarrhea and I'd love any advice possible. Just somewhere to start to handle this before I go insane and so he doesn't have to be removed from the family so often.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get him back on the TOTW (either High Prairie or Pacific salmon), and leave him on it. He may have a sensitivity to grains/common proteins like chicken. Has he been tested for Giardia? Add a couple tablespoons of pumpkin to his meals. Pumpkin firms things up.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It might be a food sensitivity. My adult dog has loose stools when he's fed food/treats with beef.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I've had him on pumpkin before, he really loves the stuff, really all the pets do even my cat. With food sensitivities and/or Giardia would the diarrhea be so sporadic? I've thought about the food before, but the problems were always gone in a day or so. If it is food sensitivity is there a plan where I can find out exactly what food is causing it? Its likely my pup will sometimes stay with other people when I travel and I'd like to tell them what they have to avoid.

Also this random diarrhea thing has been going on for months, probably close to a year now. When it first happened and blood showed up he went to the vet but nothing was wrong. Since then we've always waited a day to see how things went because we can't afford the $300 vet bill every month or so. Also he's been on every type of TOTW and this has happened. We'll switch him back because its happened more recently on the california naturals. I don't mean to be argumentative and I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It may be due to a food irritant instead of a full blown allergy. You may have to experiment with different foods for a while to see what it is that is bothering him. It may also be a chemical irritant like the flea preventative or worm medicine.
Do you make sure to give your dogs filtered water? I always know when to change our water filter as my dog will start getting diarrhea if it's gone too long.

Sometimes these can be small things that bother them. After feeding TOTW to my dog for a year or so I found out he was allergic to the tomato/tomato pomace in it. Maybe try a limited ingredient diet like Natural Balance Bison & Sweet potato.

Also if you would like an alternative to the harsh chemicals of flea and worm medicine try Diatomaceous Earth. My dog had persistent worms in his lungs that even the vet worm medicine could never fully clear up and after trying this stuff for less than a week he was completely clear of them. You can also (very carefully) sprinkle it on your dog's brush and brush him with it and it will kill the fleas.
I'll include a link for more info and reviews for both human and animal use.
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm hoping to get some opinions on a diarrhea problem that my pup has been having. I know that nothing here should be taken as medical truth, but I was hoping to get some ideas on the seriousness of it, what to ask the vet, possible causes, possible treatments etc.

Problem: 2 yr old sheltie has bouts of diarrhea sporadically, maybe every 2 weeks. Only lasts for 1 day, maybe 1 1/2 days. Diarrhea is very watery, almost like puke sometimes and after the 2nd or 3rd BM small flecks of blood appear.

Other Info: Generally healthy dog. Broke a tooth which got infected a few weeks ago. Had that removed at the vet, found out he had flea and tape worms at the same time. He's been on flea preventive, but it doesn't seem to be working. He's allergic to the bites (not deathly so, but huge bumps appear) and fleas like him the best. Our other dog doesn't have fleas (we've checked with a flea comb and treated him as well). He doesn't get raw bones anymore because it aggravates the diarrhea. He's fed California Naturals chicken and rice and was on TOTW. He did well on TOTW, but we like to try new foods for variety. He did have diarrhea on that as well.

I'm getting frustrated (and disgusted) cleaning up so much diarrhea and I'd love any advice possible. Just somewhere to start to handle this before I go insane and so he doesn't have to be removed from the family so often.
read this aricle hope it helps http://www.ehow.com/about_6529925_intermittent-diarrhea-dogs.html
did your vet do any kinds of exams such as blood work,fecal tests?try making a bland diet of lean beef or chicken with no fat and white rice for a few days to see if that helps

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Ask your vet to do a diarrhea panel (and sensitivity test). The cost for the test is not cheap it tests for other intestinal problems beyond the basic ones (ex round, hooks, whips, giardia and coccidia) We had a sheepdog with the same symptoms owner did the panel turned out the dog had a salmonella infection (higher count than normal). Treated with the correct ab cleared up the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts