Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happens more often then we would like to think about. A person gets a puppy,so cute and adorable.They play with it and pet it like tommorow.The all of a sudden,something happens.The puppy begins to grow. The puppy is turning into a dog,outgrowing the puppy stage.Suddenly the owner has no time for the dog,leaving penned up in the back yard and forgotten. They're missing out on a lot of fun here and don't relize it. When I first got my puppy,she was three months old,round and fluffy.Now she is big and clumsy,and funny as well. She likes to play fetch/keepaway and when I throw one toy down the hall,she tries to carry back two them. I can tell my dog loves me,even though she is only six months old. It doesn't compare to a scared little puppy that used to live in my house.

Comments?

As you can probably tell,I'm not talking about the average dog lover here.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't know. I don't particularly like puppies (though they're cute, and worth putting up with to get the adult dog at the end!). I LOVE dogs, though, and especially seniors.

·
Registered
442 Posts
People that aren't bright enough to know that a puppy becomes a dog shouldn't own one , period. I think a lot of people get puppies for the wrong reason . I knew what I was getting into , friends of mine have full grown Aussies and I knew full well what to expect. And I still read about them for months before making a commitment. Puppies are a handful !!! I was lucky because I don't work during the winter and had a whole lot of time to raise him properly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think that lots of dogs seem to be abandoned around what I like to refer to as the you-can't-make-me-and-I'm-not-gonna stage ie- when they are teenagers. They conveniently seem to "forget" everything you've taught them and they also test their boundaries.

They get gangly, some go through the "uglies" as they start growing into their ears and paws. They start losing the puppy coat and just look downright gawky- a far cry from that adorable 10 week old puppy the buyer brought home.

And some dogs are much, much naughtier then others. I know that my mom's male keesies seemed to lose their minds from about 7 months until 18 months. Sometimes, it's longer then that.

That's just my opinion.

I also think that in today's economy, people just can't afford their pets anymore as sad as that is. If someone is on unemployment, they may have enough trouble feeding their family, let alone their pets.

I would personally go hungry before my animals would, but I also don't have children and I don't expect everyone to feel that strongly about their pets.

·
Registered
246 Posts
April-May is when we see a lot of owner/family give-ups. Got the dog for the kids for Christmas. Four months later he's no longer a puppy, the kids have lost interest, blah, blah, blah.

Saw an interesting segment on one of the science shows a few years ago in which they said nature makes all newborns "cute" and un-threatening so they won't be rejected by their mother or their pack.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Man, I couldn't wait for my puppy to become a dog. I wanted to know what she would look like, I quickly got over the puppy crazies, and while she was an adorable puppy and I loved her, I just I wanted a dog.

I liked watching her grow up and into herself. She's a good dog now. I like it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Man, I couldn't wait for my puppy to become a dog. I wanted to know what she would look like, I quickly got over the puppy crazies, and while she was an adorable puppy and I loved her, I just I wanted a dog.

I liked watching her grow up and into herself. She's a good dog now. I like it.
It was pretty much the same with me.

I remember with Uallis I couldn't wait for him to grow up...I wanted to see what he'd be like as an adult. lol I enjoyed him enormously when he was a puppy but I enjoy him much more now. Sometimes, I still miss the little puppy that he was but still...I like who he is now. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
As far as I am concerned Puppies are over rated. They bite, they scratch they pee and poo on the floor, they whine and yap, they have stinky breath. I agree with the OP that it is lucky they are cute. IT is worth putting up with a puppy to get the the wonderful adult dog that it will grow into. That said, give me a 1 year old dog any day over a 10 week old puppy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When I used to volunteer at no kill animal shelter I remember this sweet-loving nature Rottie Mix. She was 8 months old, she wasn't fully grown but she was probaby about 40lbs not sure exactly. Anyways I remember she was return not only because she was being misbehave it is because the family forgot that the puppy they thought they adopted GREW up into a adult dog

I know it's very stupid and very selfish way of thinking. If you had a baby and the baby grew is that person gonna give that child up?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ahh puppies... I do have to admit that I love puppies with a passion, but I find myself more and more curious with how Little will grow up and what he will look like. Right now he's in the "puppy uglies" (his baby coat is falling out and his adult coat is growing in) and I just can't wait to see what kind of a fluffball I'll have in the future.

But yes, puppies are cute, and people can't imagine that they're fluffy little cutie will grow into something big and gangly some day. When they've lost the puppy appeal, they're more expendable.

But then there are those puppies who turn onto maniac dogs, and owners just don't know how to handle them. I have a feeling that's what happened to Bambi, my lab/GSD, who was found as a stray. Her owners never came to get her at the shelter (and she was there for over a month)... I now see why. She's destroys everything she gets her paws on, barks like a maniac when around other dogs, teases Tori, and chases the cats... but when you have pets, those are the things you should expect. Despite her flaws, I still wouldn't trade her for anything... puppy or not.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I totally agree that puppies are overrated. Dogs are not. Oddly, my boyfriend wanted Pepper to stay itty-bitty forever at first. He is obviously thrilled with the dog she has become now.

They are soooo cute, though. That's their appeal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup, they're super cute, and people forget that they get bigger and loose the cute factor. Puppies ruin stuff and they need to be trained. It takes a lot of work to get from the cute puppy stage to the good grown dog stage. People aren't willing to put in the work.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I love puppies, but I definitely agree that cooing and ooing at a puppy down the street is completely different from raising one, and that too many people do not understand that there is a difference, let alone such a significant one.

I think I'm lucky that Trent has been quite an easy puppy to raise (thus far). However, I do have scars on my hand and shredded worksheets from school. People always tell me to "enjoy him while he's still a puppy". I, however, look down at him and think "actually, I'll probably enjoy him more as an adult." Not that I'm not completely besotted with him right now, it's just, I admire German shepherds as adults. As puppies, they can be quite a lot like any other breed behavioral wise. In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
As far as I am concerned Puppies are over rated. They bite, they scratch they pee and poo on the floor, they whine and yap, they have stinky breath. I agree with the OP that it is lucky they are cute. IT is worth putting up with a puppy to get the the wonderful adult dog that it will grow into. That said, give me a 1 year old dog any day over a 10 week old puppy.
x2. If I ever decide to go with a purebred dog I think I might go with an older puppy or maybe a breeder rehome if they're young enough. I'm so happy I got Marge as an adult dog.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I thought I would like puppies better too. However, once we got our puppies I just couldn't wait for them to grow up as I was curious as to what they would be like. I still would probably get a puppy again so I could have more control on its upbringing (socialization etc.). Puppies are cute but I am glad they become dogs quickly.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I love puppies. But I love more the dog they become. With puppies, love is almost always one sided at first. YOU LOVE THE PUPPY. THE PUPPY IS STILL LEARNING TO LOVE YOU. While I do love Xena with all my heart, I have had wayyy to many memories with CAIN & ABEL that I have yet to make with Xena. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I read CL pets everyday and I think I see a lot of people rehoming who really didn't understand the financial and time commitments that any animal takes -- reptile, cat, dog, fish, etc.

I do see many people giving up dogs that are older puppies/early adults. It is my opinion that they did not train properly, know how to train, understand that training is important. The dog is still not potty trained, is destructive, etc. I also think that many young people get animals and are not prepared to care for them on CL, at least. I think they put up with the behaviors and then give up when the dog gets out of cute puppy stage.

I see a lot of poor planning, too -- many people get animals on some romantic notion and then don't want to follow through, or can't keep up with vet bills.

All that said, Ruby is an older puppy who was badly abused from my understanding. It's very hard to rehabilitate an abused dog -- my new kitten who is young and not abused is already trained on everything and it's been very easy. I'm still working with Ruby to not go poo in the house and it's been 2 months!! She also is very picky with food and I believe it's from her past experience as she is so pathological about it all.

April-May is when we see a lot of owner/family give-ups.
This is also suicide season in humans, I wonder if there might be a connection of some kind.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I would never own a puppy myself for the same reasons I'd never buy a new car. I prefer to buy something that someone else has already worked all the kinks out of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts