Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stella has had her first few adventures at the dog park. For some reason she's started humping some of the other dogs. Tonight she kept going after the same dog....

She's an almost 10 month old schnoodle puppy....very well behaved...sweet disposition. Clearly she only approaches dogs her size or smaller....is it a dominance thing?????

·
Registered
631 Posts
Humping isn't always about dominance. Some dogs do it cause it feels good. Some do want sex. Some use it to initiate play. Some may be dominant. Depends upon the dog and the situation. Cider does it to try to initiate play, but it isn't always the most appropriate way to do so with new dogs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my husband was thinking that she sees the other dogs doing it....and maybe just thinks that that is how dogs play? I would just walk over and distract her from the dog. Kind of embarrassing when the poor parents of the dog were just trying to play fetch with it....

Esssshhhhhhhh. Am I being weird by wanting her to stop??

·
Registered
629 Posts
You should make her stop. You know it's not about sex if you dog has been fixed but other people don't know that. It is seen as rude behavior.

My dogs like to tackle anything that runs and pretend to bite the neck of the dog. That is rude too so we won't go to the dog park until they are older and better trained. lol

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Some dogs do it when their excited, but most dogs who are the ones being humped will usually take it as dominance. Either the dog won't care, or this can lead to trouble. Hunter is a humping machine himself and he often does it when he thinks a dog is "acting out". Specially if your dog is targeting one dog, it may be because she thinks she needs to "calm that dog down". Either that or she is very intent on showing that dog how much she loves him/her. :p

I always stop Hunter from humping because it has lead to cases where quarrels were started over him humping.

·
Banned
617 Posts
She is a sex crazed maniac. I would suggest finding an agent dressing her up in some sexy skimpy outfits and get that girl in the movies. Start her out young maybe she'll have a full career before she becomes an old has been. :p Just remember to save some of the profits so we dont have to read about her being old and broke.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My lil Aiko does it to his toys. I don't think it's dominence.. I think it's excitement. When he started humping my aunt's arm a week ago I posted here and people told me it was excitement. I guess I didn't really believe it till I saw him doing it to a stuffed animal and tonight he did it again to a pillow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should make her stop. You know it's not about sex if you dog has been fixed but other people don't know that. It is seen as rude behavior.

My dogs like to tackle anything that runs and pretend to bite the neck of the dog. That is rude too so we won't go to the dog park until they are older and better trained. lol
She IS fixed....and I would guess...because of her coat...you may not know from just a glance...that she's a girl.

We keep a close eye on her at the park....and will be stopping her from the random dog humping!! I understand she may be excited and can't help it (or she's in love!), but I just don't want our dog to the the annoying one that people dread seeing show up!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dogs humping other dogs is only inappropriate to people. Some dogs don't like it and I wouldn't allow it to continue for those that don't (or the other dog may stop it through force) but there isn't anything terribly wrong with it other than it being a bit embarassing (which it shouldn't be). If the other dog or dog's owner doesn't like it, so be it, but if no one is getting hurt and the dogs don't mind than I think it's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i agree, it's offensive to the two legged sort at the dog park.

I forgot to say that I have two spayed females and they do it to each other. Mia isn't very good at and tries to do it to Luna's head. :eek: We do tell them to stop it because we don't want to see it, as innocent as it might be. We too don't want our girls to get a "bad reputation"!!

chrisn, you are funny. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts