Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so most dogs I know start adolescence at 6 months but Manna is starting early (vet confirmed/testing done and showing obvious physical and personality changes other than what's listed here)

Some puppies forget their house training during the teen months, while others forget their obedience. Manna forgot that she's not supposed to bite.

She's a little over 4 1/2 months old (18 weeks) and she hasn't bit anyone since the first week we got her, but she started up again over the weekend (Saturday). For now it's play biting and I'm training the way I trained before (same method as the thread "the bite stops here") but my mother who witnessed Manna chowing down on my arm after playing with her small dog, is worried that I'm raising a vicious biter. The chowing left indents in my arm but no actual damage (indents went away in seconds but my shirt was soaked for what seemed to be forever).

Manna is by no means a small puppy weighing in at roughly 50 pounds and growing so it can hurt if she gets too excited.

The good news?
She's picking up on everything else really quickly now and things that were out of reach last week she's now picking up with lightening speed.

Walking on leash? She walks instead of sitting or rolling now, and loose leash is somewhat consistent. She no longer chases vehicles and is easier to direct away from people.

Obedience, just as fast as before. Faster than most of my previous dogs.

House breaking? No accidents in weeks, no needing to go out over night (8 hours) and doesn't want/need/refuses to go for another hour after waking. Uses the bear bells to go out everytime and instead of scratching to be let back in…well she taught herself how to knock with a bone. I didn't teach her that one, she just started knocking on the door with a bone one day so we encourage it to save our door.

Crate training? Complete…no seriously I can't ask for any better, she has only needed a gentle spoken reminder once in two weeks to go in there for bed, she normally just heads there with little to no prompting.

She has become a little more vocal but it's still very undercontrol and no where near being a nusience bark.

I just don’t get it…Why biting again! And she just does not get that it's not a good thing, she was doing soo well too.

Obedience classes start on the 13th, I hope we can get it undercontrol by then, because now socilization is on hold until we can trust her not to bite again.

RAWR Manna what's with the biting!?!?

If you read this, thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
She's 4.5 months old. She's teething. Teething makes them mouthy. Totally normal, just be consistent with it and provide a lot of approved chews.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
^ yeah...

I'm curious to know how the vet confirmed or tested for her to be going through adolescence so early? She's a large breed dog, they don't finish maturing until close to three which means she won't hit adolescence until 1 or so. Right now she's teething. Adolescence will be much worse. ;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's 4.5 months old. She's teething. Teething makes them mouthy. Totally normal, just be consistent with it and provide a lot of approved chews.
I know it's normal, I've been spoiled with a few non biters in a row before Manna so it makes her look worse.
Though I give credit where it is due, she's a bloody genius compared to previous dogs I've had.
If we had anymore chews we'd own more than the stores in town. She was spoiled with gifts from family and friends.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. At least I know I'm on track.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
I know it's normal, I've been spoiled with a few non biters in a row before Manna so it makes her look worse.
Though I give credit where it is due, she's a bloody genius compared to previous dogs I've had.
If we had anymore chews we'd own more than the stores in town. She was spoiled with gifts from family and friends.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. At least I know I'm on track.
You're on the right track. Thud's a little younger than that and had barely stopped making me bloody when he started teething. Now if it's within reach of his face, he chews on it - again. And he's not gentle about it. I've stopped trying to pet him. I just shove things in his mouth and play with him and keep my hands away from him unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ yeah...

I'm curious to know how the vet confirmed or tested for her to be going through adolescence so early? She's a large breed dog, they don't finish maturing until close to three which means she won't hit adolescence until 1 or so. Right now she's teething. Adolescence will be much worse. ;)
Tested for illness and hormones. Large breeds can go into adolescence around 6 months (though not usually) depending on diet and genetics. Newfoundlands have been know on rare occasion to be early, especially in the working lines. (less so in recent years)
adolescents in large breeds can last longer though...ending between 1-2 years old. Or at least that's what my vet and a few breeders I know have told me.
she is being a major brat in other ways though...if she gets much worse I'll be tearing my hair out.

She likes bitter apple, citrus and black pepper....she looks for them to steal.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
she is being a major brat in other ways though...if she gets much worse I'll be tearing my hair out.
Did I miss something in your post? All I saw was that she'd gotten mouthy, but was still picking up/following commands and doing as you'd asked, without blowing you off? What do you mean by bratty?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did I miss something in your post? All I saw was that she'd gotten mouthy, but was still picking up/following commands and doing as you'd asked, without blowing you off? What do you mean by bratty?
following commands yes but still getting into things she knew in the past not to get into and being sneaky about it too.
Finding loop holes too.
I didn't mention it because it won't be too hard to correct. The big thing is being mouthy. She sneak a sock or something but then look right at you and chew it right in front of you. Doing stuff like this much more often.
I know I'm probably reading too much into it, she just making me frustrated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts