Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love dogs, and most dogs seem to sense that I'm a sucker when it comes to scratching, playing, and giving treats.

That said, some family friends have an older, fairly large dog who takes her role as guardian of the house very seriously. She barks when people enter the yard, and seems to take delight from scaring or asserting herself over strangers. I've known her for about 10 years and she has always been cowardly towards me. On the odd occasion she even acts submissively towards me. When I visit, she will often hide behind people or place furniture between us. Sometimes she will move to another floor and bark at me from there. But she doesn't usually approach or try to push me over with her shoulders or head the way she does with other visitors.

I can coax her into relaxing (as much as is normal for her, being a rather protective and territorial dog) and accepting my touch or treats given 30 minutes or an hour, but the next time I visit she's back at it.

I've never struck her, but sometimes I bark or growl back at her, which usually causes her to stop.

Her owners tell me that she probably acts that way because I'm one of the few people outside the family who isn't immediately afraid of her. I wanted to know if anyone here had any insight into the matter, and I'd appreciate advice on how to properly act towards her.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Most dogs who bark and bluff a lot are actually quite insecure. Does she engage with the people she scares? Probably not. She's probably poorly socialized and not confident.

As for how to act, do you want her to like you or just ignore you? But definitely don't do anything dumb like bark/growl at her or do anything forceful. Insecure dogs will bite if pushed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Stop barking and growling at her. You are making her not trust you.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Stop barking and growling at her. You are making her not trust you.
This, instead IGNORE her cowardly behavior and reward (with the owners permission) her being friendly with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts