Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my female Belgian Malinois from a man that got her from a breeder in NY. She was 8 months old and skinny to the point where I could see some ribs. We thought she would pack some weight and it’s been 2 and a half months and she’s the exact same. She eats a lot and very quick. He said she was purebred and healthy. She’s been to the vet before we got her and they’ve said she was fine. I’m not sure what to do

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
If you've had her 2-1/2 months, and you haven't taken her to the vet yourself, you're way past due. Don't take someone else's word for it.

It will be impossible for anyone on an Internet forum to diagnose her condition.

Dog Health Questions
Caring for your dog's health and well-being aren't always that easy. While our members may have good advice, it is just advice. Please use this section as a resource to discuss "diagnosed" conditions and treatment options for your dog. *Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.

This is not a suggestion. It's a forum rule. Anyone who requests or offers medical advice prior to a vet visit is subject to disciplinary action.

Canine Medical Emergencies and DogForums.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've had her 2-1/2 months, and you haven't taken her to the vet yourself, you're way passed due. Don't take someone else's word for it.

It will be impossible for anyone on an Internet forum to diagnose her condition.

Dog Health Questions
Caring for your dog's health and well-being aren't always that easy. While our members may have good advice, it is just advice. Please use this section as a resource to discuss "diagnosed" conditions and treatment options for your dog. *Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.

This is not a suggestion. It's a forum rule. Anyone who requests or offers medical advice prior to a vet visit is subject to disciplinary action.

Canine Medical Emergencies and DogForums.com
What is the point of taking her to the vet if they already said she was healthy and has all her shots up to date?

·
Registered
151 Posts
What is the point of taking her to the vet if they already said she was healthy and has all her shots up to date?
To get the info for yourself instead of taking someone else's word for it. Espcially if you see a potential issue such as this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have papers that have said all the vet info that’s why I said there was no point
When were the papers from the vet filled out? Like at which age? Was she a puppy getting her shots? Could be somethimg that occurred after the vet visits?

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Clearly she's not healthy.

When you become the new caretaker for a new dog, the FIRST thing you do is take her to the vet - even if you believe she's healthy. You do that to establish a baseline for the dog's condition and to establish a relationship with the vet.

But this dog is not healthy.

Your reluctance to go to the vet is very concerning, and we can't help you until you do.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Malinois are supposed to be lean, but that's thin, even for one doing hard work. Her pelvic bones and spinal protrusions are evident in a couple of the photos. You really do need to take her in, and I would suggest that she be tested for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). (No, not a vet, and not diagnosing anything, just that's a common cause of dogs, especially herdy type ones, not thriving.)

Also, making sure she is getting enough groceries is important. If she's not getting enough calories either through a metabolic problem preventing her from utilizing her food properly or simply not being fed enough, then yes, she will be thin.

Reactions: Deacon.dog

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
If you start having severe stomach pain do you not go to the doctor just because they said you were fine last week at your annual check-up?

A dog that's skinny from neglect but gains weight once given proper care probably doesn't have an underlying health issue. A dog that's unhealthily skinny despite a healthy diet has a medical condition, and one that probably requires more thorough diagnostic testing than a quick wellness check and vaccine boosters. If you can't provide that you need to find her yet another home, because not providing medical care to a sick or injured animal IS a form of abuse, and I know you don't want to cross that line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My one year old female German Shepherd has the same. She eats 2/3 times a day and you can still see sculptures. This may be because she was kept in a basement as a puppy and was getting practically nothing to eat. When she came to me, she was already 2 months old, and the time will not be made up: C Despite this, I did not notice any less energy in her, so your dog may just have it and everything is fine :) Fast metabolism

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t know if she was abused by her previous owner but she is very active and doesn’t seem to be in pain or anything. I also give her plenty to eat. She eats very quick as well

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
so your dog may just have it and everything is fine :) Fast metabolism
And this is exactly why we don't make guesses about health conditions on this forum. Only a vet can determine if "everything is fine."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.