Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last days... Prudi has been mauling two of her pups, The smallest one,and the gray pup, at first i thought she was just teaching them.

But i just noticed that prudi gets up, growls at the smallest one, and rolls her over with her paw, pushes her around again and mouths her spine aggressively, and it seems to be without any reason at all! She just did it while tiny black was sleeping.

With the gray, she just growls and rolls her, but that is it.
She has never done it with the Black pup and Harry, oddly enough, Harry and ''Blackie'' were the first born, i do not know if it has something to do with it.

Little black seems traumatized now,and at the bottom of the pack by now.. she is farther away from mom than the other pups, it looks like Prudi doesn't want her in the pack at all.

What could be the cause of this behaviour? It's so random, but maybe i'm skipping something i can't see...

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
It could be that those two puppies are weak and she doesn't want them to nurse anymore. They could be sick and just wont live so she's trying to save her milk for the stronger puppies.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She lets them eat all the time, plus according to the vet, the pups are healthy, we took them to a general checkup yesterday.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've heard of mother dogs doing this, although I've never seen one do it to a pup that is just sleeping.

Shippo's breeder says that Shippo's mother singled him out all the time and beat up on him, because he was the "dominant" puppy in the litter, but Shippo's breeder is a dominance-based trainer, so that is her answer to a lot of things.

I hope they will be okay!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Eric, how old are the pups now? It could be that the pups are starting to get teeth and are hurting her when nursing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pups already have one month of age, they do have their pointy teeth.
But again, she mauls this specific dog (Little third) while she is sleeping, she just did it again at around 5:30am, woke me up and had to split them, yesterday when it happened at around the same hour, my sister tried to take the pup and prudi tried to bit my sister.

However, i do wonder why she attacks this pup when the other bigger pups have pointier teeth and bug prudi alot more.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
When puppies reach about 4 to 5 weeks of age, the mother tends to start rejecting the litter when they try to nurse. Some will be more passive, others downright aggressive -- the severity of the rejection varies by the individual dog. This is part of growing up for the puppies; it signals the end of their care-seeking and dependency phase of life and the beginning of a social life in which they learn about self-maintenance, their place in the social order and how to accept punishment. It's just another stage of social development.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sounds like she's starting to wean them. Get some puppy food and make a thin mush with a little goat milk and water in it and start sticking their noses in it to get them to start eating. It's also a good time to start introducing them to the outside and potty training.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We bought her some goat milk to feed her because she doesn't want to be close to Prudi (probably traumatized) so we have been feeding her and taking her close to prudi to see the behaviour.

I think it's escalating, Prudi barks at her as soon as she sees her defecating or near another pup.

This pup is very innactive, so i don't trust what the vet my mother and sister took the puppies to said.. I'll be taking her to Apollos vet tomorrow (the super vet) to get a second opinion.

We searched for fleas, ticks, anything that could also be harming her.
Also, in the last attack, Prudi bit her face and injured the puppies right eye, so i will have that eye checked out too, she can open it, but it is very inflammated, and has a little yellowish pus around the eyelids, dunno if it's an infection really.

I'll keep you peeps updated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a question i just thought about..
We have been intruducing the pups to Apollo, one by one, and little black sure had a good time with apollo sharing licks and friendly sniffing..

I don't know if this pup caught Apollos scent, nor if this could be the cause, because the other 3 pups also met apollo the same day and there is no aggressive behaviour against the 3 others.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This pup (or pups) should be removed from the dam,she was obviously trying to do this herself and if not removed she could kill them (I have seen mothers do this). It could be that the pup is sick or she is trying to selectivly thin the litter.At 4-5 weeks of age (or before) weaning starts and all puppies should be away from the dam for periods of time (or if like mine they are mostly away from the dam all the time except if she wants to see them) and introduced to solid food.We start weaning at 4 weeks of age.I will say that my moms leave the pups at 4 weeks of age and don't look back:) They will hop in the pen to look at the pups but they hop back out again right away.My moms go back into the regular pack then and prefer it that way,this is the time I step in and do all the work (feeding food,cleaning the pen, ect).The pups have been handled by us from birth but this starts the majior imprinting as they learn to depend on humans for food and love and correction.

Also I generally do not introduce my pups to the older dogs until they are around 6weeks of age.Just remember when weaning the mom's will try to get in there to eat the food so you have to seperate them,you also have to seperate the pups from mom so that they will be hungry when offered food,I will let my moms in after the pups eat to finish the food and so that the pups can get a bit of milk from them.Remember when weaning to offer water at all times (you may need to add something to the water so they can see it)

here are some weaning formulas I use

Pups should be feed approx 4 to 5 times a day to start

Almost like moms
1 lrg (15oz) can evaporated milk (or you can use goats milk for sensitive puppies should be evaporated)
2 egg yolks
1 8 oz carton plain yogurt with active cultures

for bottle feeding add 6oz boiled water

This is great for bottle/tube feeding

Supplement or supper

1 lrg can (15oz) evaporated mild (or goats milk in the evaporated cans)
2 cans water (use the evaporated milk cans to measure if needed)
2 beaten egg yolks
1-2 tablespoons Yogurt with active cultures
1 tablespoon cream (or half-half)
1 tablespoon honey (reduce if stools are loose)
They also say that you can add 2 pkg of unflavored gelatin (dissolve in cold water heat & blend) I have not used gelatin in mine when I make it.I would assume this thicken it without adding the cereal ? But i prefer the texture of the cereal.

Both formulas can be mixed in a blender,stored in the fridge and heated to body temp for feeding.

Baby rice cereal (use this to thicken the mush after you heat the formula to the desired consistency.I use the cereal to start with and then I switch over to ground up dog kibble with the cereal )

I use this formula and some water when softening my kibble as they get older.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you VERY MUCH RRM_Mom08!
I finally convinced the pup to drink more milk, she drank till she fell asleep, and she finally put on some weight,and she got more active, we start with your recipe and sepparated prudi from the pups already, the little black instantly felt more relieved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts