Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
I imagine it has a lot to do with the dog being huge and the child being very small. I have met a few mastiff type dogs, and I know they can be very intimidating looking and have a very deep, loud bark that can be startling even for a fully grown adult even though they've been quite gentle. I don't think this is a problem with the dog at all.

Perhaps she doesn't want to talk about it because she doesn't quite have the words to describe the why of her feelings? Children can be afraid of things and not really have specific reason why. Personally, I would validate her feelings and acknowledge that such a big dog can be scary, but assure her the dog doesn't want to hurt her. Don't force any interactions or make her feel like she has to pet the dog or even like him. Likely, as she grows her fear will fade.

You may, of course, want to consult someone who knows more about the "irrational" fears that children can have. We're pretty good with getting in a dog's head here, but not necessarily children! I'm sure there is plenty of research available on how to help children through their fears.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts