Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
I have a Frenchton (boston terrier/french bulldog) that doesn't seem enthusiastic about her meals. She behaves and sits for her meal on command, but when I give her the signal to eat she just sits there for a while and then saunters away. Usually within the hour she will come back and eat it.
I changed her food from (science) to (taste of the wild) but nothing changed. When I started to mix her dry food with wet food it seemed to help a little, but just for a while.
Can anyone speculate why she doesn't seem interested in her meals?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Do you free feed? As in you leave the food out all day? Instead of leaving it out until she eats it, leave it out for 15 minutes. If she hasn't eaten it then take it away. Don't give her any food until her next meal.

Do you give a lot of treats or handouts during the day? If you do, ease back. If you're doing training give very, very small pieces of treats. The treats I buy are about the size of a dime. I cut them in half, then break each half into 2-3 more pieces, and my dogs are much bigger than a frenchie/boston. They don't care how big the treat is.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
And to add to Sibe's excellent information, how much are you offering? The information on the back of the bag is generally far more food than most dogs need. Dogs get fat or have loose stool if they over eat and if they don't eat until they are fat or have nasty poop their caregivers worry! If your pup is in good weight where you can easily feel all the bony bits but only see the shadow of the last couple of ribs then she is eating exactly what she needs.

If she comes back to eat it then she is playing you. Leave it down for 15 minutes and if she is eating by then fine but if she is away then pick it up and put down at the next feeding time. She will figure out meal time is now and not when she feels like it.

It is possible she is a shy eater too. Maybe sitting and waiting with you that far from the bowl is too much for her. Maybe she is more comfortable if you are further away from her food?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts