Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was watching the news and a story aired about the next full moon. The TV had a very large picture that filled the screen of a nice full moon, however when Maddy (my black lab/hound mix) saw it, she stood up on the couch and arched her back like a cat and started growling at the TV. Normally when she sees dogs or cats on the TV she runs right up there and whimpers and gets all excited. This was very different. She appeared geninuely scared out of her skin. She never moved off the couch, kept circling and growling and the hair on her neck was standing straight up. The story continued and a picture of a blue moon appeared, because it was going to be the 2nd full moon of the month and she started all over again. She was kind of shying away with her head, but kept looking at the TV and really growling. Has anyone every encounted this kind of behavior with their dog? She is a rescue dog and from what I know was abused by her previous owners. I don't know what kind of abuse she endured and she has never shone any strange behaviors in the 5 years that I've had her. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Every once in a while, hot air balloons come near to our training field, they totally freak one of my classmate's dogs. She has never been abused. Last session, my dog (never been abused) barked at the hot air balloons (this was a first for her). The other day, we bought a couple of exercise balls and left them in the family room. Later, one of my little rescue's saw them and starting barking at them. She came from a hoarder. Actually I think it is more that they are seeing something strange and out of place and not liking it, kinda creeping them out.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Is it an older TV? Older TVs make noise when there's a lot of white on the screen (yes, I can hear it!). The newer LED/LCD TVs don't though. So if it was a newer TV maybe she just didn't like the brightness. Now, if she freaks out about the real moon, you got a problem! LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts