Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend called me up this morning and asked if I'd wanna bring Dixie and Jasper to the dog park to meet up with she and her pup Xena. Of course I agree, having had a bad couple of days and really wanted to enjoy some time with my dogs and a friend. So, we get there and it's just us, so we went in and set the dogs loose. After about an hour of the pups playing and just having a ball, a woman showed up with a lab who came in and joined in on the fun. Well, maybe 25-30 minutes later, a man showed up with a retriever mix. This man and his dog walked in and the dog tore after Jasper and latched onto his neck! I screamed, jumped up from where we'd been sitting watching the dogs play, and went and tried to fight the other dog off of Jasper. Once I finally managed to kick the dog off of Jazz; without any help from it's owner; and got Jazz leashes up, the dog went after Dixie! Who when the fight started had tried to get into it but went across the park when I told her to get out of it. I told Dixie to "come" and told the owner he needed to do something about his dog. As Dixie ran to me though, the dog latched onto her neck, which made her start yelping. The guy at that point had the nerve to say his dog was "friendly" and "just playing", and that I needed to "chill out"... I absolutely lost it! I told him he needed to contain his dog right THEN and that he better have proof of a current rabies vaccination, as I kicked his dog off of Dixie, leashed her up, and my friend called the police after she got Xena. The other woman that was with us took her dog to her car and pulled her vehicle behind his so if he did go to it trying to leave he couldn't, and we waited for the police...

When I got my guys to the car I checked them for any wounds. Found none on Jazz, but Dixie has a good sized puncture wound on the side of her neck, which I took her straight to the vet to have it cleaned and got antibiotics for her (which the guy paid for). And lucky for this guy his dog does have current rabies vaccination or he would have been fined a lot more that what he was.

It's idiots like this that make me hate people.... He had no business bringing that dog to a dog park. It could have ended up much worse, especially if the dog had gone after Xena (assumed whippet/shepherd mix) or the lab!? I really don't think I'll be going back to the dog park after this... This is the second time I've had someone else's dog come after mine, and going to the dog park isn't worth risking my dogs' safety. We're better off sticking to visits to Petsmart or Petco where it's controlled leashed greetings with other dogs and people and going for walks at the "people park".

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wrote this post about a few weeks ago about a similar problem at the Lenora Park dog area in Gwinnett County. We've visited there several times in the past few months and that was the only problem we've had but some people don't seem to be able to follow the simple rules.

We haven't been back since this incident, in part due to our dog getting spayed. I'm still undecided about going back. Chloe enjoys it a lot but it's not worth her being hurt because some dumb___ has an out-of-control aggressive dog and brings it into the small dog area.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm surprised the man was fined. What was he fined for? I'm not sure about the laws in your area, but in my area, a dog can fight and injure another dog with no repercussions to the owner. In my area, the owner can only get in trouble if the dog kills livestock/injures a person, but dogs/cats/other animals are free reign.

I prefer not taking my dog to dog parks. Close to my house is a mountainish trail that people let their dogs off, but since it's a wild area with coyotes and other dangerous animals, the dogs that come in are usually well trained, socialized and have a goodish recall. I prefer this to the traditional dog park, it forces the owner to have a certain amount of control over their animals and they can't rely on a fence to keep the dog safe.
Dog parks have too many uneducated owners who use the dog park to drain their dog of all their energy, when the dog park should come AFTER walking the dog and providing structure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wrote this post about a few weeks ago about a similar problem at the Lenora Park dog area in Gwinnett County. We've visited there several times in the past few months and that was the only problem we've had but some people don't seem to be able to follow the simple rules.

We haven't been back since this incident, in part due to our dog getting spayed. I'm still undecided about going back. Chloe enjoys it a lot but it's not worth her being hurt because some dumb___ has an out-of-control aggressive dog and brings it into the small dog area.
I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. I definitely won't be going back to this dog park (it's in hampton), just kinda sucks it's the only one in this area... I loved getting to see my dogs run loose and play like they did there (we don't have a fenced in yard at home), but I may look into the ball fields and let them run there...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised the man was fined. What was he fined for? I'm not sure about the laws in your area, but in my area, a dog can fight and injure another dog with no repercussions to the owner. In my area, the owner can only get in trouble if the dog kills livestock/injures a person, but dogs/cats/other animals are free reign.

I prefer not taking my dog to dog parks. Close to my house is a mountainish trail that people let their dogs off, but since it's a wild area with coyotes and other dangerous animals, the dogs that come in are usually well trained, socialized and have a goodish recall. I prefer this to the traditional dog park, it forces the owner to have a certain amount of control over their animals and they can't rely on a fence to keep the dog safe.
Dog parks have too many uneducated owners who use the dog park to drain their dog of all their energy, when the dog park should come AFTER walking the dog and providing structure.
He was fined with "property damage". I was actually shocked though that the guy followed me to the vet and paid the bill. I expected to have to pay that myself. Hopefully, it actually got through to him that his dog wasn't being "friendly" and he needs to rethink taking it to the dog park...

·
Registered
117 Posts
What is wrong with people taking aggresive dogs to the park and getting mad at others when there dog is aggresive. Had a woman yell at me for having a "unsocialized" (which he is very socialized) "timid/fearfull dog who doesnt belong around other dogs" because I asked if she could please hold her dog back from attacking...The dog was not playing and was hurting multiple dogs not just mine...and unlike the others Forest does not fight back when frightened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What drives me nuts are the people that just generalize aggression as "oh they're playing...they'll work it out..they're dogs". Sure SOMETIMES you can relax on some stuff, but a majority of times you need to take action to prevent an event from escalating quickly, which we all know can happen in a moments notice w/ dogs.

Sorry it happened to you guys. I've been in similar situations where I've stopped going to dog parks all together. I still socialize my dog as much as possible outside of dog parks though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Timely Thread as today was our Akita Dru's first visit to an Off Leash Park.
(Our Township has a Wonderful facility.
Restricted admission. Current License, Shots and a 30 dollar Annual fee for residents.)
He's in Day Care a couple of times a week so we weren't too worried.
He definitely needs some more work at Sit/Stay though.
Went fairly well.... got a little tense at the first mix up.
All the owners were right on top of their dogs so nothing really escalated past play.
He even had a nice romp w/ a 10 pound Terrier mix that was hilarious to watch.

Then as everyone had about left 2 Pits showed up.......
The owners took one look at Dru and left before entering.
Not really sure what that was about.

We did though leash him up at the end when a couple showed up w/ their 2 year old daughter.
They were flinging tennis balls to their little terrier and having a ball.
WAY to close to us though and Dru looked like he wanted to join in.
I had visions of Dru trampling her as he chased around.
Couldn't see why anyone would let a kid that small down in a bunch of strange dogs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have tried public dog parks so many times, but in the end I have come to believe it is not a good idea.

Here was the kicker- Some idiot brought treats, and throws them in a circle around himself, while his dog snarls and snaps at everyone, guarding the treats. Very, very dumb.

When I spoke to him, he winked at me and said his dog wasn't aggressive. Meanwhile his dog is curling up his lips at me.

I did enjoy the Dog Beach in San Diego. The water seems to keep everyone busy and not as prone to srabbles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have a great little dog park down the street where we often bring our dog. I'm always grateful for how conscientious most of thee owners are - on the occasion where someone isn't watching their dog or just lets them run amok, people do not hesitate to tell them off or ask them to leave. I won't, however, bring my dog there on weekends. That's when the non-regulars show up and act like morons, and particularly when the place fills with kids. My dog is totally nonaggressive, but no dog likes being chased after by a 5 year old whose parents just don't seem to know that their child is surrounded by excited dogs who are bigger than the kid and seem to think that just because it's a dog park that means all the dogs want their kid touching them. Mel is a rescue. She's a cuddle muffin, but she's still got a bit of rescue fear, even after almost 3 years. There's a playground on the other side of the parking lot - let your kid play there, not in the dog park, especially if you're not going to teach them how to properly approach a strange dog.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Members Only Park we went to, again today, has a No Food/No Treat Rule.
No children under 16 w/o adult, 3 dogs max, etc.
All their rules are subject to banning or criminal prosecution.
The members there were quick to point out infractions but very calm and nice about it.

We got there and it was empty.
Gave us time to get a little energy run off.
Then as others showed up, one couple w/ a Lab and another w/ a Samoyed/Chow, we leashed him up.
We explained Dru about being a recent adoption and that while he was well socialized it was in a very controlled day care setting.
They all had rescues too so knew how to walk us thru the drill.
They were extremely helpful and after a bit of met and greet we turned him loose.
There was a bit of rough play and some tense moments, for us, but they said "Relax he was doing fine." and in 10 minutes they were tearing around the park.
W/in 15 minutes he and the S/C were gassed from the heat and went to the shade.

So all in all a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is my puppy after a Rott attacked him at a dog park. He's pretty cleaned up in this picture, but there were several puncture wounds and awfully close to his eye and ear, the Rott had almost his whole head in its mouth...the worst 10 minutes of my life:( I have never gone back to the dog park either.

DSCN0091.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is my puppy after a Rott attacked him at a dog park. He's pretty cleaned up in this picture, but there were several puncture wounds and awfully close to his eye and ear, the Rott had almost his whole head in its mouth...the worst 10 minutes of my life:( I have never gone back to the dog park either.
That's insane, I'm surprised the injuries weren't worse! How did it take 10 minutes to break them up?
Most dog fights I've been around usually end in the first 10-30 seconds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's insane, I'm surprised the injuries weren't worse! How did it take 10 minutes to break them up?
Most dog fights I've been around usually end in the first 10-30 seconds.
Well it started with the Rott pinning my puppy. My puppy started yelping, I was about 10 ft away in one direction, my boyfriend about 10 ft the other direction and the Rott's owner....right next to them. My other dog went flying that way, along with about 10 other dogs..I'm really surprised that no other fights broke out. I grabbed the Rotts jaws and this thing would not let go. I was literally on the ground wrestling with this dog, but I wouldn't let him clamp down. If he did, my dog would have been dead. My boyfriend was grabbing the Rott by the back end, at one point he had all of us air borne and the Rott still wouldn't let go. The owner sat there crying, then she started screaming when my boyfriend told her that if she couldn't get the dog off our dog, he was going to stab it. Right after he said that the Rott let go and then carried on like nothing happened..It was really just crazy and it lasted about 10 minutes. My whole body hurt for like two weeks from trying to control that dog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am convinced that dog parks are more for people, and that a mature dog would rather not be there. A great idea to meet local dog lovers, not so great for the dogs. People often buy dog food, toys, and clothing because THEY like it, not because the dogs like it. Dog parks are no exception. We input what we think our dogs might enjoy based on our own social experience.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I see that a couple of you are in Georgia, my ex's dog (Ripley, for those of you who have been around a while), was attacked pretty viciously at a dog park in Marietta last month. He had a surgery and a bunch of stitches on his back leg. Sheltiedad takes him on the small dog side now, even though he is right at the 30 lb limit. I used to take mine some too, but that really spooked me and I don't see myself going back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is wrong with people taking aggresive dogs to the park and getting mad at others when there dog is aggresive.
What do you mean by that? There was only one aggressive dog. My dogs did NOT fight back. My female STARTED to, but listened to me when I told her to back off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was only my 3rd time ever going to the dog park, or any dog park at all, and I will NOT be going back. Of the 3 times, twice I've had another dog come in and start crap with one of my dogs who was doing nothing but playing and minding their own business.

View attachment 36042
Sorry you and your pup had that happen. It's scary to see another dogs jaws on your own dog. I thought this dog was going to kill Dixie when it got a hold of her....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see that a couple of you are in Georgia, my ex's dog (Ripley, for those of you who have been around a while), was attacked pretty viciously at a dog park in Marietta last month. He had a surgery and a bunch of stitches on his back leg. Sheltiedad takes him on the small dog side now, even though he is right at the 30 lb limit. I used to take mine some too, but that really spooked me and I don't see myself going back.
That's scary. Unfortunately, I've met more vicious LITTLE dogs at the dog park than big dogs... Each time the little dogs charge the fence and bark at my dogs for just standing there. It makes me angry. Especially when the owners just stand there (on the little dog side) and laugh because it's "so cute". Ugh!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts