Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is me venting so please understand. Where we live we are surrounded by dogs. These dogs (a majority) are not really taken care of. They are probably fed and maybe played with but a lot of them never see the light of day (unless they are looking out a window). You know they are there but never see them. It makes me sick both because that is not a life for them but also because they are using the inside of their home to poop and pee. Today really got to me though. I heard a dog crying and Odin and I went to check it out. It was on the next block over (you can see the house from where we live). This chocolate lab was in a kennel out in the rain with no protection from the elements (it is raining today). You could here a woman yelling at it to shut up. I wanted to march into her house and choke her but instead called the humane society. They said they couldn't do anything.
My question is "why own a dog you most certainly don't care about?" I would rather all of these people surrender their dogs to the humane society and risk being euthanized then keep them the way they are. It is so very sad.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've had much the same reaction to a few dogs in my neighborhood, too. I get that my priorities are not everyone's, but keeping your dog in a shelter and exercising it seems pretty basic.

I really don't get it. If you don't want to interact with a dog, don't get one. I get why people have kids they don't particularly want. (I'm not excusing neglecting or abusing children, mind you.) It's easy to accidentally get pregnant and hard to get rid of the resulting baby, but a dog? You have to seek one out and you can give it up as easily as driving to the shelter or putting an ad on Craigslist. So why keep feeding an animal you clearly don't want?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Is the Humane Society responsible for animal control in your neighborhood? If not, call animal control. You might even be able to file a report online.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Several years ago I had neighbors that got a puppy. I think they said they got him for their kids, but their kids were 1 and 3 years old. Obviously unable to care for a dog on their own. The puppy spent almost all day on a rope outside the house crying. All day, all I heard was that puppy crying and the woman yelling at it to shut up. A few times, I went over there and asked if I could walk him, and once I looked after him for a day while they were away. The puppy pooped in my apartment, and I saw that it had worms. I told them about it, and they took him to the vet to get it taken care of.

A few times, they said they would give the dog away if we wanted it. One day, some friends of ours were over, and they talked to the woman about it and she said they could take the dog. So one of my friends who lived on a farm out of town took him home with him. The next day her husband comes over and demands we give the dog back. We told him his wife told us to take the dog and that we noticed they neglect him. He said that he was not going to give a dog away that he just spent 300 dollars on (for the vet visit and de-worming, etc). We got into an argument over it, but had to call our friend to bring the dog back because the guy threatened to call the cops on us.

It sucks that now that dog is probably miserable and maladjusted with people that don't even really want him instead of being happy and having tons of open space to run around in with someone who actually wanted him. It seemed that he just wanted the dog back because he had invested all this money in it and to give him away would be like giving his money away. He didn't actually want the dog at all (before he took the dog to the vet after I told him about the worms, he talked about possibly giving the dog to us).

At another apartment I lived at, something very similar happened, except the people didn't care that someone more responsible took the dog from them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You basically just described just about every single one of my neighbors.
It's so heartbreaking to have to watch. And when they cry, well, that just tears you up.
Most of my neighbor's dogs are either out on chains or stuck in house. They're never walked, never groomed, just tossed some food, maybe some water, and ignored.

I just... don't understand why people get animals they clearly don't care for. This is really something that baffles me. I cannot find an answer for it. Any animal, not just dogs- why get a pet you have no interest in caring for? I have 8 pets right now, a cat, 3 dogs, 3 rats and a fish, and I'm also caring for a stray kitten I've named Killian. Sure, it's a lot of money towards food and vets and other basic things, not including their treats, their toys, etc. It's a lot of time and effort. There's walking that needs to be done, grooming, feeding, watering (I think making sure they all have fresh food and water is the biggest part of the work) other forms of exercise, training, just basic interaction. These are things that every animal needs daily, not just every now and again, maybe. I can't imagine having a pet and not caring anything about it. I would think myself a very terrible person if I just went to work or sat in front of my computer all day and never cared for my animals, never spent any time with them.
If you don't have the time, resources or desire, just don't get a pet. There's no excuse for that. Maybe some people go into a situation prepared, but things happen. Well that's understandable but you should do what's best for the animals. But knowing you don't have the money/time/or want for a pet... why get one. I'll never understand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's like that everywhere you look, unfortunately. There are some heartless people in this world - way too many.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Not providing food, shelter or basic interaction is unforgivable but its possible that some of the dogs in the house live a better life than you think... (at least I hope thats possible not knowing your situation). I adopted my terrier mix prepared for a furry bundle of energy and discovered he is the ultimate couch potato. He gets his daily walk but honestly I think left to his own devices he would sleep the day away. Maybe some of the other dogs are that way too... for their sake I hope so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know. I have a neighbor who keeps his dogs shut up in a barn. They may be let out 1-4 times a year. When I was young I used to sneek over to see the dogs. There owner who we will call Mr.X. Mr.X does not feed them proparly. When Mr.X comes home around 5 the dogs go crazy because when he comes home he feeds them. He also leaves them somtimes in an outdoor kennel with out water. MAKES ME MAD. I did call thehumane society twice though and they came over.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In both the experiences in my post, the dogs were chained outside alone all day. In the more recent one, it was a this sweet chocolate lab/husky mix that they would leave chained outside for days without giving him food or water. I would hear him yelping from getting his rope tangled in brush or wrapped around a tree. My gf and I, as well as the other neighbors basically took care of him. Luckily the other neighbors ended up taking him.

I can't say about any dogs that are just kept inside all day and not let out often. A dog might become used to it (or maybe already low energy) and maybe they don't mind it as much because they can at least be around people in the house. But it's definitely heartbreaking to see a dog left out alone without any thought or care to its feelings or well being. It's just kept on a tie or in a cage and when it asks for help it gets yelled at. I think some people like the idea of having a dog, so they get one, and after they realize the amount of work that goes into having one (especially a puppy), they give up on it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Some neighbours of ours got a puppy for their daughter (who was a similar age to me, around 7 at the time) however both parents worked and the mother was over the top houseproud so they left the dog in the yard every day then wondered why it barked and just expected it to be housetrained when it was taken inside! Fortunately for the dog they decided it wasn't going to work so had it rehomed after about 6 weeks, but I dread to think how much upset they caused that poor dog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When we lived in an apt. our landlord lived down stairs and bought a border collie for the kids. :doh: The dog was new when we first moved in and was a really sweet dog. But despite the fact that it was a nice large property, that poor dog was never allowed to run. He was kept locked in a enclosed porch 24/7. He was let out 2 maybe 3 times a day to do his business and that was about it. Maybe she would throw a ball for 10 min., for one of the trips out. I never saw them take him for a walk. I think maybe twice, they at least tied him out for some fresh air. Over the 2 years we lived there we watched that poor dog go from a sweet friendly dog to one of the nastiest, meanest dog I ever saw. We actually started getting nervous that he would bust thru the screens, when ever someone walked past. Which they had to do to get our apt., that dog went berserk. My dad called him Cujo, for good reason. I had 2 small children at the time, it was rather nerve wracking!
Then they just didn't understand when he starting biting people!:frusty:
They said that re-homed him to a farm, but I wonder.
Turned out to be a horrible, psycho landlord also!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
There is a dead end road that we walk down; almost at the end there is a house that we believe is a harder. There is stuff everywhere outside and omg, the smell. We see dogs in the windows but only see one dog outside when her son comes over. While we don,t live there, we know two of the other people who confirm the others never come out. They have been reported but nothing has been done. Sadder in a way because some are Katrina dogs, seemingly came here for a new life.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't walk my dogs. To many loose dogs in my city. But they are certainly loved dogs. When the front yard gets fenced they will be able to be out front with us when we are out front (back yard is already fenced). The dogs would love to go for walks but they do fine without them. In my old neighborhood I did walk them but even there I was always nervous about loose dogs. So I wouldn't put not walking your dog as bad ownership. Depends on where you live.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For some indiviuals its a status thing, or a bragging right. An indivual I work with brags about having champion huskies, but I drove by one ance saw them outside in a small area dog run at mid-day with no shade or water, and we live in Key West. I was sweating just from being outside I know the dogs had to be hot. I thought perhaps they were out just for a potty break but drove by a little while later to make sure. Both dogs had dug trying to get to cool dirt and laying on thier sides panting heavy so I knocked on his door and joked about him forgetting this isnt Alaska. I asked if his dogs were outside a lot and mentioned he may want to have their fur shaved for the summer months here and they most definately need water available when out there. I think he honestly just never thought about it.
Others I know have rotties who are chained in the back yard and never come in (they have dog houses) and never played with. Thier needs for food and water and medical care are taken care of but they arent interacted with and one is a male and the other the female and they are chained just out of reach of one another but when she is in heat there he is going crazy trying to get at her. Chain finally breaks and he roams around the neighboorhood with no social skills and scares the nieghboors, is returned and a few days later it happens again and he bites someone and is told the dog needs to be surrendered and put down. Guy isnt even sad, just mad his "investment" is gone and says he better have gotten the female pregnant so he could "get his money back". REALY?!? I refused to talk to him after that episode and ignored him whenever he tried. So Sad.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I don't walk my dogs. To many loose dogs in my city. But they are certainly loved dogs. When the front yard gets fenced they will be able to be out front with us when we are out front (back yard is already fenced). The dogs would love to go for walks but they do fine without them. In my old neighborhood I did walk them but even there I was always nervous about loose dogs. So I wouldn't put not walking your dog as bad ownership. Depends on where you live.
Yeah, I don't walk mine daily either... The temps here lately have been over 100! But she gets at least one a week when I have a chance and it's not too hot :) We just went on an hour long bike ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is very sad. We've had to call the Dog Warden out because there was a poorly dog. He seemed to have a HUGE growth under his stomach and the owners did naff all. In fact, the dog was permanently outside roaming.

I watched a animal rescue programme and it was was amazing that a homeless guy with 3 dogs had his dogs in perfect health and friendly. The dogs came first for him, yet you have others in homes and they mistreat their animals.
I could never mistreat an animal, it's not right and all they do is give us their undying love.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I asked if his dogs were outside a lot and mentioned he may want to have their fur shaved for the summer months here
Actually, shaving a husky is a big no no. It would hurt more than help.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The fur that protects in the cold also helps protect against the sun/heat. However, the guy clearly needs to take the dog in the house during the day at least. It gets HOT in the Keys, for sure - been there several times in the summer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good to know, you can see I have never owned the breed. I have all short hair'd dogs but many owners in our doggie group get their pets shaved down for the summers here, come to think of it though I have never seen a husky shaved and now I know why!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
That's a shame, I don't know why people would get a dog if they can't care for them properly. I see it where we live too; there are too many dogs that aren't taken outside for walks. They get this iron peg in the ground (sorry forget the proper word for it) and they're on that for their bathroom breaks. Or I hear the owner shouting at them to shut up if they're barking. The dogs here are big and whenever they're out to go to the bathroom, I avoid them with Luke. I don't know if they're socialized or not and could harm us.

This one lady I bumped into yesterday was walking her Pug/JRT mix and said, "He's horrible. The worst dog I've ever had." I really felt like telling that lady if she just invest in a good trainer the dog would be fine. Some people are incredible. They get a dog because they want one, then they don't take care of the dog or just let it fend for itself. These dogs are our pets and they look to us to care for them. In my opinion, people like that should never ever own an animal again unless they wise up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts