Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 5 1/2 - 6 month old puppy was housebroken about 2 weeks ago. He didn't have accidents in the house and would whine when he had to go out. All of a sudden he seems to have forgotten everything that he knew. He no longer whines when he has to pee and just starts peeing the instant he wakes up. I mean the very instant he wakes up he's peed on my couch because of this! If this was just a one time thing that would be fine, but this has been happening every day this week. It's as though he's completely forgotten his training. Is this normal? Should I seek out a trainer? What should I do?

·
Registered
359 Posts
So my 5 1/2 - 6 month old puppy was housebroken about 2 weeks ago. He didn't have accidents in the house and would whine when he had to go out. All of a sudden he seems to have forgotten everything that he knew. He no longer whines when he has to pee and just starts peeing the instant he wakes up. I mean the very instant he wakes up he's peed on my couch because of this! If this was just a one time thing that would be fine, but this has been happening every day this week. It's as though he's completely forgotten his training. Is this normal? Should I seek out a trainer? What should I do?
is he showing any signs of discomfort? urinating more than what's normal for him? if so, he could have a UTI and antibiotics from the vet can fix it in a jiffy. is he neutered? he's reaching "puppy adolescence" where marking kicks in, so that's something to think about as well.

i would revert back to square one: the crate. start over just like he's 10 weeks again. make him sleep there until you can take him out in the morning.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Also, the spots where the accidents happened need to be cleaned thouroughly with an enzyme cleaner that destroys all of the odor. That residual smell is like a flashing neon sign....."Toilet here".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts