Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of hours ago, I took the three dogs for a jog while I'm on the bike. I had such a good experience taking all three from yesterday and today is such a gorgeous day, so I thought why not go again?

Halfway home, Xena's attachment to the leash (I use one leash with attachments to walk all three) broke. For one second, my head screamed. I would admit I thought it'll be a nightmare. 22C, a mile away from home, we're on the sidewalk next to a busy street, 2 leashed dog, one unleashed puppy and a bike and I dont have my celfone with me. If I have my phone, I can just phone my DH and tell him to pick us up. But I don't.

I did some quick thinking and realized that If Xena continously stay in between Cain & Abel, the boys can help keep their sister from running ahead. IT WORKED. Everytime Xena jogged a little too fast, I tell her to heel and she corrects herself. The boys even helped correct her. Cain & Abel nudged her everytime she's jogging a few inches ahead of them. She stayed in between her brothers the whole time.

To cut the story short, we all made it home SAFE & SOUND. Today's plan now includes going to the petstore to get a new attachment. :D

My hardwork paid off. I just hope this will never happen again. I must admit, eventhough I tried to stay calm, I can hear my heart beating loud and fast, and its not because of the exercise I was getting. :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Very impressive! Good girl, Xena! And her brothers, too!

I suggest a redundancy hook-up for each dog. That way, if one breaks, you'll have an extra.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's great- awesome work on their training! What's your secret? jk. I'm glad that everyone made it home safe.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Excellent end of the scary tale turning to a fairy tale story. The amazing part of training is that a lot of people have no idea how much more they would interact and enjoy their dogs. Often at pickup I ask people if they love their dogs, everybody of course says yes they do. I then tell them that there is nothing that is more fun than working/interacting with your dog. The hard truth is the 1st 30 days home the clients are very serious about the work at home program, at day 60 much less work and by day 90 no work. That's why I tell people I can't drive to their house, beat them up and make them work their dog/dogs. My opinion is that working your dog is like therapy, have a hard day at the office go out and work your dog for a while, relax, work and have fun with something that thinks your the greatest thing since dog kibble.

If you work like that when an emergency comes out of nowhere to smack you, it ends as a Mudra fairy tale.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Yes, we managed to get home safe and sound. :D This experience inspire me to continuously work with the dogs training. Like wvasko said, you never know when situation like this will arise and it is good to be prepared. The dogs each got rewarded for their good job.

This made me realize that you wouldn't know the level of training your dogs have until they are faced with real life situations. I feel that all the time, sweat and tears, I put in training the dogs is rewarded today.

And WVASKO, it is indeed a wonderful fairy tale ending for a pretend princess like me. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Amazing. What a great outcome for your dedication to your dogs/family. I would have freaked out! I am so glad I joined this forum, I learn and I get more and more motivated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks aoki! This experience definitely inspire and motivate me more in training my three furry kids. :D

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Wow Mudra! That is some good thinking on your part. I'm so glad everyone made it back safe and sound.

Congrats on being able to keep it together and think fast! You deserve a pat on the back for all the work you have done with them...it definitely saved the day today! :D

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Congrats on good training paying off. never know when you will REALLLLLLY need it.

I had a scare yesterday with blaze. getting him out of the van, I thought I hooked his leash on, Guess I missed the collar thinking I got it. Called him out he jumped, and went a head of me (he normally does this as he is terrified of the sliding door on the van. bad incident when I closed it on his tail before lol). so offcourse he is offleash, in a pet store parking lot, plenty of dogs all around. I scream "blaze", JUST before he almost gets hit bya car, he ran back in to the van so fast and sunk down on the seat lol. so glad his training paid off then too.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Congratulations, Mudra! It's always so encouraging when you realise how much your work has actually paid off.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Inferior metals and construction are among several reasons why I ditched the snap leads and went to locking carabiners.

Sounds like the boys know what's what.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone! :D

and harisse, thanks for the carabiner idea. I think I will try that. :D I am getting alot of practice bike riding with all three. Now, I just need to get me a BUBBA and you and I can have a bike face off. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts