Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know why puppy's chew, but why to adult dogs chew? Lincoln is almost a year old and he is chewing more than he did when he was teething LOL. I mean, when he chews it is with PURPOSE, he is quite an aggressive chewer.

so why?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to buy the huge durachew nylabones that look like they are for a rottie LOL, in fact when I take him with me people look at me weird like "she is buying that huge thing for that little fluffy dog?" Yes, because if I buy "size appropriate" chews, they dont last long!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Jaw strength/teeth cleaning, in kind of natures way of ensuring they stay on top of things orally?
A habit that's followed from puppyhood? It used to feel nice and help teething pain when he was little so I imagine that's rewarding enough to want to continue.

That's my guesses.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Why am I chewing on a pen cap right now? :p I guess he likes it.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is intact, could it have something to do with hormones? He only really started chewing in his later teen years and it has really intensified now that he is approaching 12 months.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
He is intact, could it have something to do with hormones? He only really started chewing in his later teen years and it has really intensified now that he is approaching 12 months.
Nah, Luna is 4 and spayed and she still enjoys a good chew every now and then. I think they just like it, maybe in some ways it's a self soothing/calming behaviour.

I recommend the benebone if you can find it. We got it in a barkbox and she still goes back to chew it a year later.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I think it is an enjoyment thing; I don't think it has anything to do with being intact. Zoey is a spayed female, slightly over 3 YO and when she goes outside she runs for whatever sticks that are on the ground and chews, she used to peel the bark off the tree and chew that - so it probably is the enjoyment of the flavor and the chewing action. She loves rawhides so she gladly chews them as well ... for some reason she stopped chewing antlers as she hit adulthood, not sure if I bought a deer vs elk and she doesn't like the taste. My last dog would cry when she saw us with Dingoes - she just LOVED them, of course they had a flavor to them so that may be why.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
Nah, Luna is 4 and spayed and she still enjoys a good chew every now and then. I think they just like it, maybe in some ways it's a self soothing/calming behaviour.

I recommend the benebone if you can find it. We got it in a barkbox and she still goes back to chew it a year later.
Yeah, this. It feels good, it's fun. My dogs all chew, and the heaviest chewer is, by far, Bug who has been spayed for about forever and is almost 9. Molly's a close second and she was spayed at 5 months.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have also seen that when he has to stay inside and cant go out onto the porch due to the weather or when its too hot is when he chews the most, also, when its alomst time to get up in the morning, I hear him gnawing away LOL, so that might be an idea, that he is calming himself or relieving tension. Oh well, at least he is keeping his jaw muscles and teeth in good shape! You should see his jaw muscles, they are huge now because of all the chewing he does haha.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My roommate's two male Keeshonds, both neutered and both over 1 year are intense chewers. Our friend who owns a dog food shop gives us these huge cow femurs after her dogs, who are not huge chewers, are done with them and they go to town. They chew all the time. We have bone grinds in our couch covers, it's really bad lol.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My roommate's two male Keeshonds, both neutered and both over 1 year are intense chewers. Our friend who owns a dog food shop gives us these huge cow femurs after her dogs, who are not huge chewers, are done with them and they go to town. They chew all the time. We have bone grinds in our couch covers, it's really bad lol.
LOL sounds like my house, you should see what this cute fluffy little dog can do to a "tough" dog chew that is meant for a pit bull or a rottie!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why does my fiancé chew straws.. I think some dogs (and people lol) just pick up a habit. They start chewing as puppies and just don't out grow it. I have a yorkie that can tackle any bone you throw at her! Its amazing haha.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Boredom, frustration, enjoyment? All the above.

Most animals are pretty pre-programmed to use their mouths.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zeus is a super chewer, He pulled apart a baseball in about 20 mins, down to nothing but bits of string and rubber. The only thing I have found that slows him down for any amount of time are those raw hide bones. He eventually destroys them but it takes him a couple hours of dedicated chewing.

I believe for him its just something to do while not other wise engaged

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I think chewing is a self-soothing behavior. It feels good and helps dogs calm themselves. It also gives them something to do.

If you think about it, people like chewing too. How often do you snack on something without really tasting it anymore? The act of eating/chewing something makes us feel good.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
I think chewing is a self-soothing behavior. It feels good and helps dogs calm themselves. It also gives them something to do.

If you think about it, people like chewing too. How often do you snack on something without really tasting it anymore? The act of eating/chewing something makes us feel good.
This. Also, dogs don't have hands. How often do people fidget with a pen, or knit, or crochet, or whatever just to keep themselves busy?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zeus is a super chewer, He pulled apart a baseball in about 20 mins, down to nothing but bits of string and rubber. The only thing I have found that slows him down for any amount of time are those raw hide bones. He eventually destroys them but it takes him a couple hours of dedicated chewing.

I believe for him its just something to do while not other wise engaged
No, rawhide is terrible for dogs! I just had to reply to this because I almost had a dog die from a blockage caused by rawhide, it was horrible and I dont want enyone to go through that :(

Haha maybe that's why I like to chew gum?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
No, rawhide is terrible for dogs! I just had to reply to this because I almost had a dog die from a blockage caused by rawhide, it was horrible and I dont want enyone to go through that :(
Lots of people disagree, but I'm in agreement here. I used to give my dogs rawhides until one day Atlas (in my sig) started choking. Fortunately he's 140 lbs and therefore my hand fits down his throat - I was able to remove the piece of rawhide that was lodged there that otherwise would have killed him.

I will never give my dogs rawhides again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts