Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Why Dog Parks?????

7K views 93 replies 43 participants last post by  Jpepper 
I agree with Sassafras. We have several parks, but the only one we go to is a 9-acre fenced wooded park. There is a path around the perimeter and one down the middle. When you walk into the park, you have to pick a direction and walk. Without this park, my setter would be imploding with anxiety. This is her only opportunity to get out, run and stalk critters. It is very important to her mental well-being. It is a risk I take, but I'm not careless about it. I go when it's quiet, or I don't go at all.

Most dogs are busy walking, with a little play in the mix. There are small incidents, which have grown in number ever since the park was advertised by the county, but I am always reading the dogs. When I don't like what I see, I turn around and go in the opposite direction, or pop into the woods, until the dog and owner leave. One owner normally meets me there. Sometimes, she thinks I'm a little over cautious.

I like the added element of having a path that forces you to pick a direction and walk. It tends to weed out those who just want to dump their dogs and sit. It also sets up an environment that promotes a more productive and peaceful setting, where most dogs are not posturing and challenging each other.

It's darn near impossible to govern dogs and owners. The majority of the ones who stir up trouble, simply don't get it.

I feel that parks have to better designed and owners need to be educated on etiquette and body language. Maybe part of the solution is membership with a mandatory seminar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.