Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a weird question but for a few weeks now i have this issue with one of my dogs where she holds her poops in when we go on walks and later poops inside the house. i know for a fact that she needs to poop when we go on walks because i can see the turd poking out of her butt but she clenches her sphincter and sucks it back up. i am getting very frustrated with this because she used to actually poop outside and now she very seldom does; if she does its usually a few little pebbles and then she finishes pooping inside later. please someone help me figure out what the heck is going on with her cus this is getting very annoying and i have no idea what to do about it. she goes on walks 3 times a day and even spends some time outside in our patio and just does not seem to understand that pooping inside is not ok no matter what we do. she is a 1 year old pug by the way.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
She honestly sounds constipated. Pebble-like poop is often a sign of that. So she may be physically struggling to get the poo out, in which case this isn't really a housebreaking issue. You can try adding a spoonful of plain, canned pumpkin (the 100% pumpkin stuff, not the pie filling that's full of sugar and spices) to her meals and see if the fiber helps.

Another possibility or complicating factor: have you or anyone in your household/in a previous home ever yelled at or punished her for pottying in the house? Oftentimes, dogs learn that this means it's bad to potty in front of their owners, not specifically that going in the house is the problem, so if this is the case you may also be dealing with the fact that she's not comfortable going when you can see her. Obviously if that's not the case, you don't have to worry about it! I'd start with the extra fiber in her diet and go back to puppy basics with rewarding her when she goes outside for a little bit, because even if this is mostly constipation, it's good to reinforce good habits when there's been an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts