Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a dog (1 1/2 Year old deaf Aussie) that for whatever reason will go looking for the cat toys around the house and proceed to destroy them. She has not done this in the past but instead stuck with her filled bones and/or kong. We also recently bought her a chew rope and fillable rubber toy but she does not seem interested. How do we get her to stop playing with the cat toys and focus on hers?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe is there a seperate room you can gate off and just put cat toys in there for the cat(s)? I don't think there would quite be a way to not get her to play with the cat toys (since theyre alot like dog toys) unless theres only one or two then I would just keep telling her no and giving her her toys. My dog LOVES cat toys, I think it is because they are smaller and she can carry them better. She doesnt destroy them though so I am lucky. Maybe try buying dog toys that are smaller? Seems like she enjoys small toys.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Chances are you fell right into her trap. Dogs are very manipulative and smarter than we give them credit for. I suspect you react when she takes the cats toys and ignore her when she's with her own toys. She got your attention....that's what she was after.
I have the opposite problem.....the cat takes all of the dogs toys and piles them in a corner! The only toy the cat won't touch is the tennis ball....she knows that's a very risky thing to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick tips. We have been gone a lot lately especially myself so she is probably looking for some more attention than what she has been getting. We will try the smaller toys to see if she takes to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts