Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a tall male, I have found that getting down to their level and playing with a barking dog is helpful. I like the "I am here!" comment. i am guessing that Toby wants a relationship but neither he or your husband are confifent of how to build it.

Of course, we can't tell from your post if your husband wants to actively participate in the dogs life. The stare down is not a way of building rapprt, and dominence theory is pure bunk. Therefore I would urge you to abandon that tactic right away, and engage the services of a behaviorist. You cannot train a dog from the couch with a remote in your hand. You can stare and shhh until you are blue in the face, and your dog will just think you are crazy.

If a behaviorist is not in the budget, try lots of walks and caregiving (by your husband and also together) as suggested by others. spending quantity time tiring your dog and meeting his needs to explore your neighborhood should go a long way towards bonding, and it's great for your relationships all the way around! And thank you for adopting a rescue dog!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts