Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
From the dog's point of view, watching TV, being on the computer and reading area all doing nothing. Neither Muggsy nor Kabota would/will bother me while I'm actively doing something, i.e., cleaning, folding laundry, etc., but while I'm watching TV, I'm apparently fair game.

You know what I've learned? I don't ever regret putting off Newsroom for another day and playing with my dog is so much fun. So tell your husband to get off his duff and have some fun!

Also, look into positive training. I don't agree with "no"s and foot swipes and such for any dog, but for a dog like the one you have, it's very counterproductive. You can't make him trust you enough for full bonding/training if you're scaring him silly on a regular basis. (Remember, what's scary to you and what's scary to a dog are two entirely different things. I don't cry if someone says "no" to me in a stern tone. My dog hides under a table.)

Instead, use clicker training and use redirection and management. If he has a shoe, trade him a treat for the shoe, then give him a toy to chew on. Praise for chewing on the shoe. Then take all the shoes and put them away so the dog can't get them. That's redirection and management.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts