Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
It sounds like Toby might just want attention. If the bark is just kind of "Hey, I'm here!" sounding, especially if he only barks at your husband once or twice when he is watching TV (as in, seemingly available to play and yet ignoring Toby).

My dog will do that to me when he either really has to pee, it's time for dinner, or I've been ignoring him for quite awhile on my computer. Just a single bark- he gets up, walks to face me, looks right at me and barks once. I ask what he wants ("Outside" "Walk" or "Dinner" and he knows to go to the appropriate door or location for whichever he needs). But I know that bark means I cannot ignore him.

In Toby's case though, it seems your husband "Shhs" him and continues to ignore him. I can see how a dog would get frustrated with that and figure it is much easier to just never bother with this human that doesn't listen to him. If your husband isn't part of his care and isn't responsive to him, then he's unlikely to listen to your husband. Walks are good, little treats are good, gently petting and scratching him while sitting on the floor with him (less intimidating at his level). The more your husband does (positive good actions) with the dog, the more Toby will listen to him (it's not really "respect", that's a human concept I think, it is just like "Oh, this person is good to me so I will do what he says since good things happen)

You want to be really really careful about even the least bit of harsh words or corrections if you have a dog that is especially nervous or sensitive. No staring him down, no raised voices (including between two people- so if you and the husband have an argument and shout, leave the room away from the dog).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts