Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my service dog Hunter for about two years now, he's 3 years old now. He's a very tame and lovable dog, always giving kisses and being very tame. Never bitten anyone. He's a Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix.

However, for example, the maintenance guy came by my apartment to fix the latch on my front door. Hunter started growling as he heard the maintenance guy approach the door, and started barking like crazy. when he got to my door. I had to hold him back and calm him down while he started working. He finally did calm down, but before leaving, the maintenance guy held his hand out and Hunter showed his teeth a little bit.

He does awesome when I take him to the dog park, and at my parents house and on walks. No issues whatsoever.

Is this a protective action from Hunter to protect me?

These are pictures of him.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are both known to be aloof around strangers, which is kind of breed standard. Sometime this aloofness is magnified into fear of strangers due to poor breeding, unfortunately.

It's genetic, so there isn't a whole lot you can do about it other than teach your dog that he is not required to interact with strangers. If strangers come to your house, crate your dog or send him to his bed that is out of the way. Don't put him into situations where he is uncomfortable around strangers. Advocate for your dog and don't let strangers interact with him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my service dog Hunter for about two years now, he's 3 years old now. He's a very tame and lovable dog, always giving kisses and being very tame. Never bitten anyone. He's a Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix.

However, for example, the maintenance guy came by my apartment to fix the latch on my front door. Hunter started growling as he heard the maintenance guy approach the door, and started barking like crazy. when he got to my door. I had to hold him back and calm him down while he started working. He finally did calm down, but before leaving, the maintenance guy held his hand out and Hunter showed his teeth a little bit.

He does awesome when I take him to the dog park, and at my parents house and on walks. No issues whatsoever.

Is this a protective action from Hunter to protect me?

These are pictures of him.
Maybe the maintenance man gives the dog reason to mistrust him?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts