Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally's discovered he can shred things. He just "killed" one of those blue long skinny squeaky toys shaped like dogs (and come in like a billion different colors).
Found a little hole and just gutted the thing. It doesn't squeak anymore :eek:

Now he's trying to take apart a little football. He was trying to pull something of a soft plush dog. I took the football from him (it's a beanbag so I didn't want him to swallow any beans in case he got lucky and tore it) and give him his rabbit - now he's trying to shred that.

What is it now with the shredding? Is it because he's "growing up" and is now starting to do more "dog things"?

LOL now he's sleep. I guess he wore himself out. How the heck could that wear him out? :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
when Hawk shreds a Plush squeeky toy I will take out the rest of the stuffing and the squeeky and give him back the skin, he still likes them.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea - I'll have to do that. Thanks :)

Now he's watching me pull the stuffing out.

LOL

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Upendi likes to shred rope toys and as a result she can't have them anymore. She tries to eat them after she shreds them. Silly girl. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My dogs LOVE to shred toys, kleenex and paper towels. I also pull out the rest of the stuffing and the "squeaker" and return it to them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My crested does it with his stuffed toys given any opportunity. Why? Because it's fun. He loves to shred paper towel, too. Doesn't eat it, just shreds it, then surveys his disaster. Has a blast then looks at it with great satisfaction.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Sooner or later every dog lover returns home to find some unexpected damage inflicted by his or her dog...or, more specifically, that dog's incisors and molars. Although dogs make great use of their vision and sense of smell to explore the world, one of their favorite ways to take in new information is to put their mouths to work. Fortunately, chewing can be directed onto appropriate items so your dog isn't destroying items you value or jeopardizing his own safety. Until he's learned what he can and can't chew, however, it's your responsibility to manage the situation as much as possible, so he doesn't have the opportunity to chew on unacceptable objects. Take responsibility for your own belongings: If you don't want it in your dog's mouth, don't make it available. Keep clothing, shoes, books, trash, eyeglasses, and remote control devices out of your dog's reach. Don't confuse your dog by offering him shoes and socks as toys and then expecting him to distinguish between his shoe and yours. Your dog's toys should be clearly distinguishable from household goods. Until he learns the house rules, confine him when you're unable to keep an eye on him. Choose a "safe place" that's dog-proof, and provide fresh water and "safe" toys. If your dog is crate trained, you may also place him in his crate for short periods of time.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Give your dog plenty of people-time. Your dog won't know how to behave if you don't teach him alternatives to inappropriate behavior, and he can't learn these when he's in the yard by himself. If, and only if, you catch your dog chewing on something he shouldn't, interrupt the behavior with a loud noise, offer him an acceptable chew toy instead, and praise him lavishly when he takes the toy in his mouth. Have realistic expectations. At some point your dog will inevitably chew up something you value; this is often part of the transition to a new home. Your dog needs time to learn the house rules and you need to remember to take precautions and keep things out of his reach. Chewing is normal behavior for curious puppies who may be teething, but adult dogs may engage in destructive chewing for any number of reasons. In order to deal with the behavior, you must first determine why your dog is chewing—and remember, he's not doing it to spite you. Normal play behavior sometimes leads to destruction, as it may involve digging, chewing, shredding, and/or shaking toy-like objects. Because dogs investigate objects by pawing at them and exploring them with their mouths, they may also inadvertently damage items in their environment when they're exploring or investigating.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Thanks Dogstar. Seems only polite to indicate the author of something cut and pasted which is written by someone else.

KBLover
I think they shred the first thing and it is so self rewarding they move on to the next thing. Atka shreds hard paper because the sound is self rewading IMO.

Meanwhile, Oliver (cat) shreds plastic because he likes that sound (or he knows it is a sure fire way to get me up in the middle of the night).

Sometimes it seems to be a texture thing... Atka likes to pull apart anything that is foam.. probably for the way it is tears when she does it.

Sometimes they pull apart stuff and know that you will come and deal with it.. which gives them attention. I look at Wally's Pictures and I think he is absolutely capable of that chain! :p

Of course, I don't leave Atka with things and let her shred them. Fact is, she has never chewed or shredded anythng inappropriate since I have had her, but I am pretty vigilant.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How old is he again? Any chance those last molars are coming in?
He'll be two at the end of May.

Sooner or later every dog lover returns home to find some unexpected damage inflicted by his or her dog...or, more specifically, that dog's incisors and molars. Although dogs make great use of their vision and sense of smell to explore the world, one of their favorite ways to take in new information is to put their mouths to work. Fortunately, chewing can be directed onto appropriate items so your dog isn't destroying items you value or jeopardizing his own safety. Until he's learned what he can and can't chew, however, it's your responsibility to manage the situation as much as possible, so he doesn't have the opportunity to chew on unacceptable objects. Take responsibility for your own belongings: If you don't want it in your dog's mouth, don't make it available. Keep clothing, shoes, books, trash, eyeglasses, and remote control devices out of your dog's reach. Don't confuse your dog by offering him shoes and socks as toys and then expecting him to distinguish between his shoe and yours. Your dog's toys should be clearly distinguishable from household goods. Until he learns the house rules, confine him when you're unable to keep an eye on him. Choose a "safe place" that's dog-proof, and provide fresh water and "safe" toys. If your dog is crate trained, you may also place him in his crate for short periods of time.
Well, he's chewing his own toys so that's fine. I don't leave anything in reach that's mine and I don't want him investigating. I'm more surprised by the sudden desire/attempt to shred than the fact he actually shreds things. I know a dog can destroy just about anything he gets his mind to killing :)

As far as spite - well I know that. I know he's not "out to get me" or trying to "get back at me" for something, and he gets plenty of people time. Three/four long walks a day, some training time, so play time, some just hang around me time.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KBLover
I think they shred the first thing and it is so self rewarding they move on to the next thing. Atka shreds hard paper because the sound is self rewading IMO.

Meanwhile, Oliver (cat) shreds plastic because he likes that sound (or he knows it is a sure fire way to get me up in the middle of the night).

Sometimes it seems to be a texture thing... Atka likes to pull apart anything that is foam.. probably for the way it is tears when she does it.

Sometimes they pull apart stuff and know that you will come and deal with it.. which gives them attention. I look at Wally's Pictures and I think he is absolutely capable of that chain! :p

Of course, I don't leave Atka with things and let her shred them. Fact is, she has never chewed or shredded anythng inappropriate since I have had her, but I am pretty vigilant.

Makes sense - I guess it's like "hmm...let's see what happens if I pull this apart." Then it's "oh that was so cool - I have to do that again!" :)

And I wouldn't put the attention thing past him either. :p Wouldn't surprise me one bit that he'd do it because it makes me come over to see what's in his mouth, what he's doing, should I take it or not, etc.

Texture - I know he seems to like fuzzy/furry things. He has licked my sweaters before because of the texture, and that long dog-looking toy is furry. The rabbit has rough sort of hair on it. That plush dog and pig has fuzzy texture. Doesn't explain the football, though, it's a beanbag and not fuzzy at all.

Maybe with the beanbag and with leaves it's a sound thing like for Atka and paper. Funny how they like things like that! Never thought a dog would actually like to make a sound happen over and over again - except a click, but even then we had to teach them to like that sound :)

Yeah, thankfully, Wally will just choose his own items. Only once did start to chew the leg of my TV stand, put an end to that quick and give him his nylabone. He never tried any "bad" chewing again.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Don't you just love it when your dog starts to train YOU?

I got a Brother and Father (the human variety :p ) both name of Wally. Trust me when I say I know Wally's Behavior! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
How old is Wally? He might of just hit a teething phase and yes get some harder toys for him to chew that won't destruct or teach him to respect the toys that he can play, but not tear them apart. I have done it with my dogs. I would take the sqeekers out! When Tensing did get them opened!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Toby always wants to take the squeaker out of toys. He'll work at it for hours (if it's that tough), but once he gets the squeaker, he has no more interest. I have a lot of squeaker-less stuffies now :p

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Don't you just love it when your dog starts to train YOU?

I got a Brother and Father (the human variety :p ) both name of Wally. Trust me when I say I know Wally's Behavior! :rolleyes:

LOL

Yeah, it's pretty cool. He better watch out because I can rebel like a adolescent puppy, heh

Oh wait, he'll probably just think we're doing that shaping thing I'm always talking about and start just doing stuff until he gets me to give him a treat or something. :rolleyes: :D

How old is Wally? He might of just hit a teething phase and yes get some harder toys for him to chew that won't destruct or teach him to respect the toys that he can play, but not tear them apart. I have done it with my dogs. I would take the sqeekers out! When Tensing did get them opened!
He's almost 2 years old. I think he was past all the teething and such when we got him (just a little over 1 year old).

Hmm...teaching him that some things he can shred and some he can't? Interesting idea!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts