Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this man at the dog park who has a young Dalmation - probably not a puppy, but young. He keeps it on the leash at all times, and he does his best not to let other dogs get near his dog.

The best I can figure is that he is trying to socialize the dog, but the dog LOOKS like it just wants to go and play. I have seen this guy a few times over the last 2 - 3 months.

I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Maybe socializing and desensitizing from a distance. For conversation sake let's say he got on DF and heard some of the dog park horror stories and deciding discretion is better than valor.

At the very least his young pup has not been hurt mentally or physically and he has taken that 1st step in a long journey of pup rearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My guess is it's fear of something....afraid what his dog might do to other dogs and vice versa...or maybe his dog does not have good recall. Seems like he would be better off to walk his dog on a leash at a regular park or take it to the pet store where it will get to see other dogs, but in a more controlled environment, until he feels more comfortable about letting him off led. Better yet, he should enroll his dog in an obedience class where they will both learn something positive...but what do I know :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
When we first starting working with a trainer on Gracie's issues (one being moderate leash aggression/frustration), he took us to the dog park and for the first part of the visit, we kept Gracie on her leash so she could get used to being around other dogs on leash without freaking out. Then we would take her off leash for about 10 minutes and let he play and then put her back on leash and walk her around. It was to desensitize her to being around other dogs while she was on a leash.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
^^All of that.

Also, it's Dalmatian.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I agree with probably desensitization, or perhaps the dog is dangerous and he is trying to train it. At my last class with Lady one guy brought in his white GSD who was extremely dog aggressive to just be in the room for a few minutes at the beginning of class, if anything happened, he left, if anything didn't happen, he left on a positive note. It was to give his dog good experiences around other dogs. We all knew the dog was very dog aggressive so we stayed away and let them be although it was weird having someone in the class not doing anything but standing with his dog off to the side, if you didn't know he had a dog aggressive dog you might have thought "why does he bring his dog if he wasn't going to work with it."

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd say desensitizing too. My dog's always been shy of people, curious/friendly, but shy. She went through a phase around 6 months old where she would absolutely maul anyone (lovingly) that got too close. She'd topple over children with her affection, muddy up people's clothes with her dirty paws trying to play, etc. So I basically did the same thing as this owner youre talking about.. walking her around other people and simply walking past people.

Sometimes I wonder the effect it had on her. She went back to being shy again.. can't decide if this is good or bad.

Either way, there you have it :)

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: Also, it's Dalmatian.

I'm sure it's a fenced dog park. After he runs around it 6 - 10 times, he might calm down and return to the owner :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It annoys me when I see owners take their dog to the dog parks then just sit there, expecting their dog to play without them. I want to scream at them to interact w their dogs! Don't just sit & bs w other people, don't just stand watching your dog, run, play, yell, throw a ball....something!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It annoys me when I see owners take their dog to the dog parks then just sit there, expecting their dog to play without them. I want to scream at them to interact w their dogs! Don't just sit & bs w other people, don't just stand watching your dog, run, play, yell, throw a ball....something!

This one does not allow toys of any kind.... but even so, my dog would much rather have fun with 20 other dogs than me. It's hard to even get her to come to me when it is time to leave. She has a blast. My other dog doesn't care about other dogs. All she does is walk from person to person hoping someone will scratch her head or pet her.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I thought the idea of a dog park was for the dogs to play together. Unless there is a problem or some other circumstance, to me that's expected and normal behavior. If I want to play with my dog I do it in the backyard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too would agree with the dog aggression / desensitizing theory.

My dog(English bulldog) prefers other people's attention then mine, when we are at the dog park. So I often just sit there watching her socialize with the world, until another bulldog is spotted. Then it's on. I don't know if it's just my bully but she prefers the company of other bullies to any other breed of dog.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I thought the idea of a dog park was for the dogs to play together. Unless there is a problem or some other circumstance, to me that's expected and normal behavior. If I want to play with my dog I do it in the backyard.
Not necessarily. My dogs really aren't into playing with other dogs at the dog park, like at all. They like each other, but that's about all they need or want in this world. Infact, I really DON'T like dog parks. Only reason I take my two to the dog park is because they are the kind of dogs that really need to be able to fully run off leash for an hour or so, and we live in an area that's very leash law strict. We either go during a time when there's few to no people there, or we take them into a smaller dog area that no one ever goes into, and play with them in there.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea Pip doesn't like to play with other dogs, either. But we go to the dog park to have a safe, enclosed place to take a nice long off leash hike -- although our park is a little unusual in that it's on several acres of wooded river bottom rather than a yard-type enclosure.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Oh I don't give a crap what anyone does with their dog at the dog park as long as it doesn't endanger anyone. I was just saying there's nothing wrong with just letting the dogs play if that's what they like to do. Luv2byte seemed to think that was wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts