Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about the kind where you hook the leash on the back. I'm genuinely curious. I see a lot of people walking large (and small) energetic dogs on harnesses and having little control over them. I've never been compelled to use or recommend a harness, other than a front clip for pullers, I prefer plain old flat collars, so I want to hear what others think!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Manna doesn't pull usually unless on command. A harness with a handle just gives me more control and allows Manna to work as my unofficial balance and mobility dog.

(Alberta requires a lot of training, paperwork, government approval, global dog training school and just a bunch of time and money I don't have or want to part with.)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I use a harness when we're going to the river and there might be a chance I'd have to haul them out of there. Also, Penny WON'T pull with a harness (she's weird) so if I want to take her for a leashed walk I'll put her in a harness.

People with little dogs might use them because small dogs are prone to tracheal collapse if they have too much pressure on their neck.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I use a harness to prevent damage to the neck should she decide to pull toward something. It also gives me more peace of mind if I need to pull her -away- from something vs yanking on her neck.

And a lesser reason, with the clip on the back it prevents her from tripping on the loose leash. Omg I went for a while without a harness and it was so annoying constantly having to manage how much leash was out to prevent her from getting it caught under herself. It also caused the collar to pull down and the tags/leash/collar to rub against her leg/shoulder area which I felt had to be uncomfortable and seems like over time would cause irritation. (she wears a martingale so the collar sits looser than a regular collar when not engaged)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I use a harness to prevent damage to the neck should she decide to pull toward something. It also gives me more peace of mind if I need to pull her -away- from something vs yanking on her neck.
This ^^^^ I have a puppy and he HATES collars - would NOT walk in one. As soon as I put the harness on him he was fine and walked like he'd been on a leash for years (which is silly because he's only 4 months old haha)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Same reason as Sass, but I'll expand on it a little:

I cherish my dogs' loose-leash walking skills. They were hard-earned. So, if I am going on a walk where I want my dogs to explore and have fun and sort of tune me out, I put my dogs on rear-clip harnesses so they can just go and be dogs. If they find a varmint or something and give chase, their necks won't get rung when they hit the end of the line. My dogs aren't allowed to jerk me around when harnessed, but they don't need the gentleness I require with loose-leash walking or the precision of heeling. I'm a big fan.

We hike in remote areas all the time. For hiking, I use harnesses for safety and the preservation of my training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not used a harness, but I am considering to buy one since I saw my friend's unique one!
11889703_438100469695405_7978905567858587729_n.jpg
He sad that is better for his dog and it spares the neck of the dog. This is the producer's site if somebody wants to check out the models: http://www.bestiacollars.com/en/harnesses_for_large_dog_breeds-c256
I like "Maximus" harness and I can match this with the same collar and leash. :rockon: Do you like it too?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I see a lot of people walking large (and small) energetic dogs on harnesses and having little control over them.
I'd also like to address this specifically; the dogs that are out of control on a harness would most likely also be out of control on a collar (presuming it isn't a prong or similar corrective collar), unless the dog REALLY hates just wearing a harness for whatever reason, nothing about it inherently gives the handler less control.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I do find harnesses to offer more of a safety component than collars for sure - for example, my pup recently decided he wanted to try to jump off a ledge into some water, except he just kind of walked over the edge and fell like a ton of bricks. I grabbed him by the harness and took him out of the water. Would have hurt him MUCH more and would have been a lot more difficult to grab if he just had a collar.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Both dogs will pull on occasion and I'd rather they pull on a harness and not choke themselves on a collar. Ryker has a good loose leash on the harness because that's what I trained him on. I also gently pull them away from stuff when they decide they'd rather sniff than walk. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that on a collar.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use them because they spare the necks of the dogs although Ginger is the only dog I've had that really coughs when leashed.
They pull less on a harness because the leash and leash clip aren't in their faces. It's the training not the restraint that keep dogs from pulling.
They get tangled in the leash less.
They are annoying to put on though. After 2 years Ginger still doesn't let me put hers on without focusing on a treat.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Louie has a very sensitive neck and has always freaked out when I tried to walk him with a collar. With his harness on and a flexi, all it takes is a few leash "pops" using the flexi button to keep him from pulling too far forward. He also has a tendency to freeze on walks so I can use the harness to lift him away if he froze in a bad spot.

Clyde only wears his harness on the long line or when he is tethered outside to keep him from entangling himself all the time(which he still manages to do with the harness...). Strangely he is more polite on the long line than the 6 ft so I don't need power steering from the corrective collar.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see a lot more people using harnesses lately. I like them because the dog doesn't choke themselves and hurt their neck. I have one puller who will cough and hack if on a flat collar. I also have one dog with a collapsed trachea. So yeah.

I use flat collars for when we are actively working on his leash skills the whole time. If we're just on a regular walk it's usually harness + long line.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I use them if they are allowed to pull, or if I even need them to pull, like on a hike. I also want an easy way to grab them and lift them in case terrain gets rough.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I love harness because.... well, I like the look of them..... that's silly I know. Lol.

However, I did a lot of off leash walking, swimming and such and it was easier if a sudden distraction popped up to just clip the top of the harness instead of digging around through hair for the collar clip.

Also, hairy dogs, can slip collars easy, Royce did a few times, completely unintentional, he stood there looking confused, and our sheltie? Forgot it, couldn't keep a collar on her, just pop right over her little head. Lol.

But again, mainly, I like how they look, especially on larger dogs. Royce walked the same on collar or harness.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Also, hairy dogs, can slip collars easy, Royce did a few times, completely unintentional, he stood there looking confused, and our sheltie? Forgot it, couldn't keep a collar on her, just pop right over her little head. Lol.
There are collars that are unslippable (martingale, limited slip) and plenty of dogs can slip out of back clip harnesses. I'm sure you know, just throwing it out there for the OP and anyone else reading :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use a harness whenever Lincoln is in the car and tether her to the seat belt to prevent her from being hurt and so I don't worry about her jumping or falling out of the window. When walking Lincoln, I just use the collar.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I use a harness when we're hiking or when there are lots of dogs around in case I need to pull her out of the fray with a quickness (luckily that hasn't actually happened yet but it's a lesson learned from previous dogs). I find she's actually REALLY good on a harness and in fact less likely to pull than with a collar, though she's pretty good on leash either way. I also use a harness in the Jeep so I can clip her in - I just don't like her roaming all around especially when I have all the windows out.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Same as a few have mentioned...when my dogs are on collars no pulling is tolerated. When they are in harness some pulling is allowed and they are encouraged to sniff and run around a little (depending on length of leash). If I'm using a long line or my long flexi they are in a harness so when they run to the end of the line they don't hit it with their neck.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts