Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve noticed this poor poodle is often tied up outside at my friend’s condo complex. I confess I have a soft spot for poodles, but it kind of breaks my heart to see it. She has an especially sad bark, which makes it worse. She’s not out there all the time, but she’s left there for one- or two-hour stretches.

This complex doesn’t have private (fenced) back yards, so they can’t really let her out and just leave her. But it doesn’t seem like the dog gets too much benefit from being outside. As you can see, when she moves around, she ends up wrapped around the tree. Plus it would be easy for someone to walk up, grab the dog, and take off.

I guess you can tell I’m not much of a fan of tying out dogs. There is a time and place for it, but not for hours at a time, IMO. What's your take on tying out?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Lots of reasons. I don't think it's ideal, but I'd MUCH rather see it than a dog allowed to run at large- period, end of story.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I'll come clean: I've tied out Kim at my parents' before.

Granted they live in the middle of nowhere, have no fencing, I could see her from the window, and she had both water and shade. Oh, and she had just dove into a creek then dashed across a muddy field.

After an hour or two in the stiff breeze she was sufficiently dry to regain house access after I had brushed the dirt off.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'd MUCH rather see it than a dog allowed to run at large- period, end of story.
I'd agree if those are the only two choices. But it could stay inside . . .

she had just dove into a creek then dashed across a muddy field.
I have no problem with that. And there are certainly other times when it could be appropriate. Camping, for instance. But I go over there several times I week and see this girl outside more often than not.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It was the law of the land for decades that all dogs must be tied up....even if you had a fenced yard. People were fined or had their dogs taken away...'for being loose.'
It become part of our culture/the way to bring up a dog.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have a neighbor who keeps her GSD on a tie out in the front yard, but I've noticed she only does this when she wants to sit on her front porch and enjoy the weather, but doesn't want to worry about the dog running off. The dog can basically roam the unfenced front yard and she's always there to supervise. I don't have any problems with that. My problem is with dogs left on tie outs unsupervised for hours. I've never liked that at all.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Alot of people seem to think that dogs need to be outside for certain amounts of time every day...they think they are providing some sort of enjoyment, exercise or stimulation for the dog....and they may not have a fence or a crate and want the dog out of their hair for a couple hours. I don't agree with these particular reasons, but I do think there is a time and place for tie outs, and a right way and a wrong way to do it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I tie out both of my dogs... but not for long hours at a time. They are tied in the back only when I am in the back of my house and can see them all the time. They are never unsupervised out there. The reason I do this is because my allergies are so bad... I'm on 3 different allergy meds and 2 inhalers and just got on steroids for my allergies. BUT I only tie them out when my allergies are bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must admit i am not keen on seeing dogs tied up but it happens all over.

I think there is nothing wrong with it if you are just going into a shop or something for 5 mins, but 1 or 2 hours does seem a bit unfair.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I tried to tie my dogs out. They just tangled themselves up, and whined the whole time. So I haven't put them back on them again.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It was the law of the land for decades that all dogs must be tied up....even if you had a fenced yard. People were fined or had their dogs taken away...'for being loose.'
What land would that be?....I have no recollection of that:)

They aren't afraid that someone might take her?...that would be my biggest fear of leaving a dog tied out in a public place.....I have no problem with a dog being left outside in the appropriate setting with the right "equipment"....that is not what I see in that picture :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will tie Big Words out on occassion:

- When I vacuum
- If I'm working outside or in the yard

He always has shade and plenty of water. He wears his harness so there's no neck injury risk. His tie out is in the back yard, far from traffic and positioned such that he can't get himself tangled around anything. I keep an eye on him and do not do it if the weather is inappropriate (rain, extremely hot or cold, etc.

Having him inside when I vacuum is majorly stressful for both of us. And if I am outside working, he's happier outside in the sun, than locked in his crate (I don't trust him alone in the house yet).

Given all that, I don't see an issue with putting him on the tie out.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
One to two hour stretches do not sound too bad to me. I know dogs that live their entire lives on tie outs with little or no cover. It certainly is hard to see.
Maybe you could suggest the woman buy a decent tie out instead of using a flexi leash? I mean that way she wouldn't so easily get stuck around the tree. Make sure the dog always has plenty of shade and water, especially as it gets hot out.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I think that must have been a regional thing. Tie outs were not common where I grew up and, yes, I am old......

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have tied my dogs out with an in ground stake and 30' chain before when we lived by the road in ohio and no fence but the whole time they were out I was out with them throwing a ball to them for about 2 or more hours.

Is that dog tied to a tree using a flexi leash?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I Put Hawkeye on a tie out when I want to leave him outside for a few minutes without watching him like a hawk. I don't want him smelling some hot young bitch and taking off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a friend who ties up their Shiba Inu when they are out in the yard playing with their daughter and they want to bring the dog out too. But she jumps the fence if you don't watch her like a hawk. In cases like this, I don't see a problem with it.

Dogs that are tied up all day, every day...IMO why own a dog? Why not get something like a basketball goal or a hammock that's INTENDED to be attached to a tree...plus then you don't have to give it food or water.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's a sad & dangerous situation....the owners probably want the pup to have some fresh air and by not having a fenced yard it makes it difficult.

But tying a dog to a tree for hours is not a good thing to do.....as you said, someone can take the dog, another animal could confront it and the pup wouldn't be able to defend itself --- plus like you also said, it's wrapped around the tree so all it can do is sit there -- and I didn't see any water.

They would be better off letting it stay inside near a screened in open window or door for some air. The pup isn't getting any exercise, so the reason must be for fresh air.

Not a very good thing to do.:(

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Completely depends on the situation. Smalls would go out if we grill. She will not leave the grill alone, and if we leave her indoors she screams and throws herself at the door.

I don't mind seeing dogs tied out if it isn't like some of our neighbors. One neighbor has a young pit that is always outside. I'm also fine with yard dogs, but this yard is covered with car parts, a broken pile of fencing, all sorts of garbage. The dog was scrawny and I never saw a food/water bowl or any shelter. Called AC. Yard was semi cleaned and now the dog has a house, but it's in the back of the giant fenced in yard and he is tethered to it. He's got about a five foot radius. That five foot radius is just poop upon poop. The dog is covered in poop. Still not seeing any food bowls. All I see is a puppy laying listlessly 90% of the time covered in poop. Called AC several times and nothing has changed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts