Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out on a walk with Brutus and Zero and once again people thought Brutus was a weiner dog. I don't have a clue why people think this, but I'm wondering if there may be something to it. The lady I got him from thought he might be a basset/dachshund cross. I don't know why that would be though. I would bet money he's a purebred basset. Not that it really matters. Just curious why people would think he's a dachshund at all. Here's some pics:

Brutus focusing intently on planning his next crime:

Brutus contemplating possible escape routes post-crime:

Brutus realizing that I am watching him therefore I might be inclined to feed him too.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
45 lbs or thereabouts.
A little small for a basset but way too big to be a doxie. I could see mix, if the mom was the basset ;)

Not everyone knows of every breed. I met a French Mastiff today and the owners said he always gets called a Boxer, because the face is similar. To some people, the only dog they know of with a long body and low to the ground is the doxie.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not that I'm an expert at all but I've worked at a vet and a pet store for years and I love playing what kind of dog is this ;). I'm relatively decent for some one with no real knowledge ;) (just what I see all the time in the store and info people give me on how close I tend to guess).

That being said, I have no clue why people keep saying dachsund when it is quite apparent he could have a lot of bassett hound and htat would explain any trait I see that could be attributed to the dachsund (long back and short legs). I'm not sure he looks like a pure bassett (or rather I could see him being a pure bassett but unless told that I'd be questioning if there wans't something else there or not. I want to say something about him seems like he might have beagle but I couldn't point out to you what and i know the two breeds can look similarish if you ignore the long back and short legs. But something about his face and his rear legs reminds me a little more of a beagle. I think he seems to have too tight of skin around his face and rear to look pure bassett if I was to try to place a finger on why I say that).

Oh, and from what I understand most people see mini dachsunds and assume they are standard dachsunds. I've met some standard dachsunds and they are almost as big as bassett hounds but a lot more lean body so don't give off quite the massive appearance of bassett hounds (but height and more so length seem very close - least if the guy was telling me the truth and they were standard size for a standard dachsund).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Shippo gets mistaken for a "wiener dog" all the time, and he's even FURTHER from that than your dog is LOL. It must be the long, low thing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shippo gets mistaken for a "wiener dog" all the time, and he's even FURTHER from that than your dog is LOL. It must be the long, low thing.
People are so ignorant *rolls eyes*. How in the world do you mistake a corgi for a dachsund? For that matter, how does one not realize a bassett hound is why they have a long back and short legs?

My dog looks mostly Siberian Husky (several people ask if she is and some are even surprised when I tell them she's not a purebred desipte the fact her ears are way too big and don't stand up at all). Shoot, my first hunch when I saw her was lab/husky mix. APparently I'm really odd there cause no one else has guessed that (but I swear I've seen some lab husky mixes that look like her though they didn't quite get the undercoat like a husky but more of a lab coat with husky colors. but if you just glance she could appear to look like a lab coat iwth husky colors).

I think the wackiest I heard some one think she was was golden retriever (ok, that was cheating since it was an 8 year old kid). But I did have one guy who though she had beagle in her.

(a few pics to illustrate my point)

http://www.angband.org/dan/pics/pets/Aurora/DSCN7695.jpg
http://www.angband.org/dan/pics/pets/Aurora/IMG_0917.JPG
http://www.angband.org/dan/pics/pets/Aurora/IMG_0924.JPG

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Oh, I don't know. For the same reason people ask if our Elkhound is a GSD, wolf hybrid, or an Akita? Or when people think our purebred Miniature Dachshund is a "Wiener dog/Chihuahua mix!" because he has weird ears?

Hell, my own parents told people their very obvious Australian Shepard mix (hardly looked like a mix at all, in fact) was a Border Collie/Rottweiler.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
There are sure a lot of misinformed people lol. At one of my previous doggy daycare jobs, I had a heated debate with a co-worker, because she insisted that one of our obvious red merle Border Collies was an Aussie, simply because "Border Collies don't ever come in merle. It's genetically impossible and only Aussies can be merle."

She refused to back down and even tried to use her past experience working at shelters, pet stores, and talking to breeders. It must've been some really dumb breeders, because I can't imagine an experienced BC breeder not knowing the genetics of their own breed!

Whatever... >9.9<

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
it's common knowledge that the BC only comes in bl/wh....didn't you know that?....sheesh, what's wrong w/ you people.....if it's any other colour (even if it comes from 2 reg. BC parents) it has to be an Aussie or something else.....:D:D (JK folks.....we all know that it's not all black and white...there are different "shades" there)

on that note i have had people insist that mine were ESS crosses....they're the only ones that are bl/wh and i even had Titch accused of being part Holstein (ok, i can see where they'd get that:D)

oh, another one was Tir had Dalmation in her b/c of the "spotting" on her....

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Maybe it's the color? I mean, he's still obviously a Basset, but people see a differently colored dog and they exclaim strange things sometimes.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I seen a basset/dachshund cross at the dog park about a year ago. Looked like a stretched limo dog. The dog was about 1.5 times in length than a normal bassett.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
hulk, I'd guess people are thinking wiener dog because the coloring is not so typical of Bassets. Brutus looks like he would qualify as a black and tan, though. He looks pretty Bassety to me.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hulk, I'd guess people are thinking wiener dog because the coloring is not so typical of Bassets. Brutus looks like he would qualify as a black and tan, though. He looks pretty Bassety to me.
He definitely has the face of a basset. The coloring is a little different. Maybe that's what throws people.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Alright, now i'm confused. Cause people say that is not a typical color of a bassett but I swear I've seen a ton of bassetts in that color.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts