Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone who buys/adopts a dog without doing their homework first is a fool.

1. The first thing any novice needs to know is this: Dogs are work. LOTS of work. And they're expensive.

2. A dog is NOT a fashion accessory.

3. You have to spend hours every day training them. You have to train them not to pee and poop inside. You have to train them how to walk on a leash. You have to train them not tob nip or bite people. You have to socialize them - that means getting out and meeting other dogs and people. This is NOT easy. And sometimes, it isn't fun. Its repetitive and boring. But its necessary.

4. You can't go away for the night without making sure someone will be feeding and walking the dog.

5. If you go away for a vacation, the dog must be cared for - and that can cost BIG bucks.

6. The dog must be fed. Some dogs eat alot. Some dogs, not so much. But they have to be fed DOG FOOD. Not people food.

7. The dog must be taken for vaccinations. And regular Vet visits. And be spayed or neutered.

8. Some breeds are prone to certain diseases. Do your homework and research the breed so you're prepared.

9. Dogs must be groomed. Even a dog with a super-short coat needs a bath. And his/her nails trimmed, and anal glands expressed. This costs money.

10. Dogs WILL PEE AND POOP on your floor. No matter how well trained they are.

11. A dog will probably eat your favorite pair of shoes.

12. A dog needs to be walked. In the rain., In the snow. In an ice storm. And they need to be walked OFTEN. Every few hours is best for an adult. Every hour for a puppy in training. If you don't, see item # 10.

Do the world and any poor animal you might buy or adopt a favor - i you don't have a clue, don't get a dog.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well said. A puppy is not something to buy on impulse after seeing a cute face in a petshop window. Research, research, research.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well said. A puppy is not something to buy on impulse after seeing a cute face in a petshop window. Research, research, research.
Even that doesn't prepare you. I did about 2 months of research before getting my puppy, and I was still overwhelmed by the amount of work that goes into him. However, that being said... wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
It has nothing to do with today's society. People have always gotten puppies as impulse items. In fact, 20 years ago, a pet store that didn't sell puppies was a novelty.

People don't educate themselves before getting a dog because they don't know that education is part of the process.

Vicious circle, huh? And what we're doing here is preaching to the choir.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's called impulse, and it has existed for thousands of years..

However... instead of posting this on a forum that is very well awear of how much work, pain, and money a pup takes... i would go outside where the real ignorant people are and let them know in any way you can think of.

Just a thought though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
What was said by the OP is true in general but I have to take issue with the dog food comment. As I've said before, food is food, some is healthy and some is not and that goes for both commercial dog foods and so-called people foods. In fact until after WWII, when the cereal companies figured out they could use the not-fit-for-human-consumption leftovers to make dog food, there was no such thing as commercial dog food.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Anyone who buys/adopts a dog without doing their homework first is a fool.

Do the world and any poor animal you might buy or adopt a favor - i you don't have a clue, don't get a dog.
Heh, people have children without having a clue, being educated about parenting or doing their homework or having a means of support.. no surprise they'd do the same with a dog.

There are as many fools in the world as non fools, maybe even more..

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Heh, people have children without having a clue, being educated about parenting or doing their homework or having a means of support.. no surprise they'd do the same with a dog.

There are as many fools in the world as non fools, maybe even more..
HaHaHa.. you said it b4 I did.

Easier to get a kid than a dog for most people... you can make one of those w/o having to spend any money.. and the process is HIGHLY "impulse" related.

If people could only turn their brains on b4 putting anything else in gear....

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
People don't educate themselves before getting a dog because they don't know that education is part of the process.
That's what I was thinking. If you aren't aware an education is needed, what's the motivation to get an education? It's only after people get the dog that they realize they jumped into it without proper preparation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It has nothing to do with today's society. People have always gotten puppies as impulse items. In fact, 20 years ago, a pet store that didn't sell puppies was a novelty.

Vicious circle, huh? And what we're doing here is preaching to the choir.

A large and ever-increasing number of people (especially people under 50) are using the internet as a tool for just about everything. With cell phones, (high speed internet, cell phones that connect to high speed internet, Wi-Fi etc., our society has become one of instant gratification. The world has become very fast-paced. In general, we are almost always on the go, and we have to wait for very little. There is so much at our fingertips, and most people don't have to travel far for anything. As cell phone/internet generations (those who grew up with instant-gratification technologies) are becoming adults, this mentality comes even more into the adult world.

I agree- people have indeed always bought dogs as impulse items. I'm not saying that dog impulse buys are always a product of today's society, but the ever-growing demand for instant gratification does play into it. People see how cute dogs are on animal planet, see how Paris Hilton and others use them as stylish accessories, and jump into it without using the wealth of knowledge that is out there for them.

It has only been in the past decade that this wealth of information has flooded the internet on dog care/ownership. A lot of people now know that they can easily do research (research that was much, much more difficult to come by in the "old days)," yet they chose to buy now and research later, (if at all). Instant gratification.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
The Internet DOES provide a lot of resources. The problem is that 90% of it is garbage.

I say that as someone who uses it every day, but you have to develop a very good BS filter to use it effectively. The information out there, much of it conflicting, is overwhelming for someone who doesn't know for certain what they're looking for.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
3. You have to spend hours every day training them. You have to train them not to pee and poop inside. You have to train them how to walk on a leash. You have to train them not tob nip or bite people. You have to socialize them - that means getting out and meeting other dogs and people. This is NOT easy. And sometimes, it isn't fun. Its repetitive and boring. But its necessary.
This point really takes care of some of the others mentioned. A dog can be trained to accommodate just about anything, and to leave anything alone, imo. I think it's possible to train an adult dog to be fine overnight. I'm pretty confident Wally would be if push came to shove and I had to do it. I'm likely "gone" in his mind for 10-12 hours starting at around 10-11 PM anyway. (that's when I put him to bed in his crate and have no further interaction with him until the next morning).

Training need not be boring. The trick is to view the process as being fun - then you'll look for creative/fun ways to teach the same old tricks/cues/socialization.

The Internet DOES provide a lot of resources. The problem is that 90% of it is garbage.

I say that as someone who uses it every day, but you have to develop a very good BS filter to use it effectively. The information out there, much of it conflicting, is overwhelming for someone who doesn't know for certain what they're looking for.

I have to disagree that it's 90% BS. It's been HIGHLY valuable for me in teaching me much of what I do know about dogs. It's thanks to google I could home-train Wally to do basic obedience instead of having to pay for a class, then wonder how he'd react to being around all those strange dogs and people in a strange place, especially valuable given his "issues".

The internet taught me how to clicker train. Got me going in the right process with some exercises to start with. Taught me why it works and why it's so effective. Taught me about calming signals (which then prompted me to find books about body language - but it was the 'net that first introduced the concept to me).

While the internet isn't infallible considering it's just what people put up there without any verification - the same could be said for many resources out there. Read two training books and you might get just as much conflicting info as you would two training websites.

Just a couple examples - this post would be a mile long if I listed out what all googling has shown/taught me.

With pretty much any researching on a topic as frequented as this, you have to sift through information to see what would work/does work and doesn't for you. I've had to do that even with physical books. Yeah, I could have gotten lucky and just gotten CU first - but you could say the same for the internet and websites. Just my view and I use it a lot as well.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If you do your research, #9 isn't true. I bathe my own dog, trim his nails and he doesn't have anal gland issues. If I had to pay for these things, I would be very disappointed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to disagree that it's 90% BS. It's been HIGHLY valuable for me in teaching me much of what I do know about dogs. It's thanks to google I could home-train Wally to do basic obedience instead of having to pay for a class, then wonder how he'd react to being around all those strange dogs and people in a strange place, especially valuable given his "issues".

The internet taught me how to clicker train. Got me going in the right process with some exercises to start with. Taught me why it works and why it's so effective. Taught me about calming signals (which then prompted me to find books about body language - but it was the 'net that first introduced the concept to me).

While the internet isn't infallible considering it's just what people put up there without any verification - the same could be said for many resources out there. Read two training books and you might get just as much conflicting info as you would two training websites.

Just a couple examples - this post would be a mile long if I listed out what all googling has shown/taught me.

With pretty much any researching on a topic as frequented as this, you have to sift through information to see what would work/does work and doesn't for you. I've had to do that even with physical books. Yeah, I could have gotten lucky and just gotten CU first - but you could say the same for the internet and websites. Just my view and I use it a lot as well.
However, that 10% in the amount of internet pages that are in existance, is a HUGE percent.

Saddly, what he says is right, most information on the internet is not very complete, not even the mighty wikipedia, like wikipedia, all the internet can be easily edited with wrong information in the blink of an eye.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I think 90% was being generous.

Anything you read on the Intenet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. If I am researching a particular idea, I'll read as many sources as I can and try to form some kind of consensus.

Even then, you have to be cautious. A lot of consensus is just urban legend.

I don't mean to dimish the value of the Internet as a tool. I use it all day every day in my work and, in my spare time, I use it some more for recreation, shopping, networking and gathering information.

I'm just very careful about what I accept. I dohn't think someone unfamiliar with dogs at all is going to have the experience to distiguish good information from bad.

Even on this, you develop a sense, after while, of who is credible and who is either just, plain wrong or is just regurgitating what he's been told.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2. A dog is NOT a fashion accessory.
I have to disagree here.

I find that my dogs are not only a fashion accessory but a whole ensemble. In fact it is rare for people to even notice the person attached to my dog when we're walking. I should probably walk my dogs with a bag over my head. I doubt anyone would see a difference.

This is a good point. While I think "hours a day" is a little over kill for the average owner, most people don't realize the amount of time that it takes to teach a dog something as simple as peeing outside. But it's not so much time per day that important, it's more consistent training over an extended length of time. And hopefully that length of time will equal the entire life of the dog.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts