Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do my gsd pup fears guitar sound
i got 2 labs and they never fear the guitar sound .. but when i strum my acoustic guitar my pup goes into hiding . i stoped playing after tht infront of my pu and near him

could anyone please put some light on to this?:confused:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How about these to start with?

1. he's a puppy
2. he's in a strange new place
3. it's too loud?
4. he's never seen a guitar before
5. he's a puppy

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Your GSD is a 4 week old pup who has likely never heard a guitar in his life. Any loud unfamiliar noise is bound to scare him at this point. He needs to be conditioned to the sound, to get used to it. He's also brand new to your home and VERY young. He's probably really scared in general and unsure of most things going on around him.

Also remember that all dogs are different. What you experienced with your Labs is in no way a guarantee of what you will be presented with in this new pup's life.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It may not have bothered your labs, but they are not your GSD. They are all individuals. Your GSD pup may also be very sound sensitive compared to them. Guitar strings vibrate and the sound lasts longer and is more intense than it is to our ears.
She is new to you, new to your home and likely everything new is a bit scary for her. You have to socialize her to sounds, using food and keeping the strum very very soft to help acclimatize her to the sound. Puppies need to be exposed to many many things when they are young to help them be calm adults. But it must be done carefully, always relating GOOD things to the things that they are unsure of and not forcing anything.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
And he's only a month old and hasn't been socialized at all. Be prepared for him to be afraid of everything. There's a reason people preach about a good breeder. You're about to enter into the world of discovery. You're going to discover that other people knew what they were talking about and you chose not to listen. Have a good time.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
And he's only a month old and hasn't been socialized at all. Be prepared for him to be afraid of everything. There's a reason people preach about a good breeder. You're about to enter into the world of discovery. You're going to discover that other people knew what they were talking about and you chose not to listen. Have a good time.
I hadn't read the other thread prior to posting on this one. Otherwise the age factor would have been on the list as well.

*shakes head in disgust*

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
As others are saying, the socialization curve is very steep at this age. Mom would have given him the skills to cope with some basic fears (sight and sound) but, now you have to do that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my guitar isnt loud its an acoustic guitar it doesnt uses speakers

and plays melodious sound . yea it is scary for pupy as u guys says that he has no exp of sight n sound . i know but the thing is , here no one waits for 2 months . everyone waits for 1 month

and if we wait more then that we feel like we missed on their childhood

u guys have every right to be mad at me

well i got my pup nothing can be done now.. i will take ur advice and

slowly introduce tonew things .. guitar will wait for my pup

now he is part of the family everybody loves him a lot , we love watching him sleep .

right now he has 4 things only
eat poop play and sleep

he is adorable :)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Something sure could be done.

You could do what's right and take this puppy BACK

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Exactly. This puppy belongs with its mother for 4 more weeks.

Impusle decisions, especially where dogs and ESPECIALLY where the GSD is concerned, are a horrible idea. I am absolutely sure that you're going to go through "HE double hockey sticks" trying to potty train this puppy. Not to mention getting him to stop biting you when his teeth get a little bigger and it's not so "cute" anymore to be bitten by him. And then when his true temperament starts coming out and you can't have guests or worse, he bites someone and you discover his hips are bad from bad breeding at the age of 9 months...

You have a rocky road ahead of you...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok ima talk to breeder and take him back tomorrow
but

"you discover his hips are bad from bad breeding at the age of 9 months... "

how will giving him back to his mom improve on that ..i didnt get that point please elaborate

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
how will giving him back to his mom improve on that ..i didnt get that point please elaborate
It won't. But if you had sought a proper breeder, they would have done hip testing on both parents and you would have a much greater chance of having a dog with healthy hips. Hip dysplasia is a COMMON problem with the GSD. Especially those who are bred by back yard breeders or puppymills, which is what your breeder seems to be. I say that because a good breeder probably wouldn't let you pick out the puppy and wouldn't EVER let a puppy go at a month old. NEVER.

I'm just saying your impulsive decision to ignore all the good advice here about finding a good breeder is going to bring you heartache in many forms, hip dysplasia being a very likely one.

I hope the breeder will take the pup back. I fear they may have wanted to get rid of him to lighten their workload and financial investment...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh that part its already been taken care of

i have seen the farm of breeder theres nothing like puppy mills dogs roam free there :)

and AFGHAN's (my pup) parents are fine
i have seen thier medical data's they didnt had a problem like hip diplasia .i know gsd's are legends for it butmine wont get it :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
i have seen the farm of breeder theres nothing like puppy mills dogs roam free there :)
Dogs roaming free doesn't mean it's not a puppy mill or BYB. :rolleyes:

and AFGHAN's (my pup) parents are fine
i have seen thier medical data's
What are their hip scores?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
umm combined score was near 25

father was at 10

and mom at 15

still have to get AFGHAN checked for hip score tomorrow

@klaire12
hi i am from india , Chandigarh

·
Registered
714 Posts
you can not get a month old puppy health checked for things like its hips/elbows/eyes...or whatever is prevelent in that breed. the dog needs to be an adult. and combined hip scores do not matter, its each parents that is imporant.

and i will let the gs experts here tell you if those are good scores. and what other test should have been done.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I've never heard of hip scores like that....

The Indian breeders that I know of follow the SV system (There are TONS of GSD breeders in India that have show and working lines!!!!!), and use ZW scores.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I've never heard of hip scores like that....

The Indian breeders that I know of follow the SV system (There are TONS of GSD breeders in India that have show and working lines!!!!!), and use ZW scores.
These two threads have given me a really good chuckle this morning. The best was the whole thought of scoring a 4 week old pup.

Take your dog back to the breeder and find one that will keep it til 7 weeks at least. A country of a billion people, you'd think there will be at least a few half decent gsd breeders.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
well those are the scores i saw

anyhow yes i am gona take the pup back tomorrow the first thing in morning

and i will take the pup back after 4 week the same one :p

it will complete 2 months

ok guys im going to sleep now ima take pup checked tomorrow and take it back to his mom at breeders farm ..thanmks for ur support..

cant wait to see this pup after 4 weeks :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts