Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My dogs lived with my cat just fine. Then again, both my dogs AND my cat were introduced to each other carefully. Mahri (cat) grew up with Eevee, so she gets along just fine with her. She was a bit older when I introduced Shippo, so she's a bit more bossy with him. There's no fighting though, and both dogs have a healthy respect for cats.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
What I wonder about those who have dogs and cats that are buddies, is it because the dogs know the cats?

For example, if you take a dog and cat that never saw each other before and stick them in a room and observed - would we still see the dog befriend the cat?

If so, what actually governs dog/cat relations? Temperament of the dog/cat in question? How each reacts if there's a miscommunication? Whether or not there's human interference/influence (either for the help or harm of the meeting)? Breed of each? (Would a Terrier be more likely to be hostile than a Lab? etc)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Can't read the original post for obvious reasons. My cocker doesn't hate cats, he loves to chase them. I think he wants to play more than anything and the cat wants nothing to do with him. My basset ignores cats completely. He simply can't be bothered. It really depends on the dog.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
What I wonder about those who have dogs and cats that are buddies, is it because the dogs know the cats?

For example, if you take a dog and cat that never saw each other before and stick them in a room and observed - would we still see the dog befriend the cat?

If so, what actually governs dog/cat relations? Temperament of the dog/cat in question? How each reacts if there's a miscommunication? Whether or not there's human interference/influence (either for the help or harm of the meeting)? Breed of each? (Would a Terrier be more likely to be hostile than a Lab? etc)
In the case of my dogs I have always taught them "No chasing kitties" etc. My last dog, Kazi, knew "our" cats and on my say so would not only befriend new cats but would never forget those new cats. Same with dogs.. tho Kazi would kill anything on my say so as well. Either way was fine with her, but she never offered to do it on her own.. she ALWAYS asked... (I know this sounds far fetched, but I lived with this dog 24/7 and that was what she did).

Other dogs liked ALL cats. Never asked.. just assumed all cats were to be adopted.

Current dog just LOVES all cats. Wants them all to come up to here and rub on her legs and let her lick them (or do that flea chew thing along their backs). If the cat takes offense (and wise cats who do not know this dog do take offense) she lays her ears down and shows submissive "guilt" and slinks away..

If a cat she knows, like Oliver, pops her on the nose, she takes it as a reason to play (she knows her cats) and so they play (controlled play BTW).

Now I never had a dog that I knew to be a terrier, but they say that German Shepherds have tremendous prey drive to kill.. yet NO dog I have ever had has ever been a cat hurter or killer. I believe it is all in the training of the dog.. and I believe ANY dog can be trained.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with the dog's history with cats, the cat's history with dogs and whether the cat runs or stands its ground.

That last can be hard on the cat if the dog is seriously attacking. I had to rescue a cat who had wandered into our fenced yard when we first got Esther. I still have the scars to show for it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Makes sense that training and past experience would be big factors.

Kinda sounds like everything else in a dog's/cat's life.

·
Registered
861 Posts
holy giant font, batman!

in my experience my dog actually likes cats...just a little too much...

i actually just posted a thread about this. i recently adopted a cat from a rescue and he is moving in with us on Wednesday. I am a little nervous about it, since Rosie has chased a cat or two in her day.

i am hoping that in a few weeks time they will be famous friends!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yep, I used to have a dog who adored cats. She would sleep with them and let them groom her, and groom them. She would protect them too. A lot of it just depends on how you introduce them to cats.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts