Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three large dogs. A Rottie and two GSD's. Well, yesterday they all ate some grass and threw it up. Why? Are they missing something? Are they upset? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Why am I eating this whole big bag of M&Ms even though I know I'll feel gross later?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Some dogs eat it because they feel icky and know it will make them throw up.

some dogs eat it because they like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
LOL! I do that sometimes. Like yesterday, I ate two Cadbury eggs.

Maybe they felt icky. It had been raining for three days, and they were confined inside, only going out to do business. As soon as the rain ended, I let them out to play, and all three went into eating grass.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Was the grass still wet? Sadie does that sometimes if the water fountain stops circulating. She licks the grass.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've been told that dogs eat grass if they have a tummy ache --- grass makes them throw up and feel better -- so if you see your dog eating grass -- don't bring him back in the house right away -- 9 out 10 times, he will shortly throw up after he's done!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have heard both stories , the tummy ache one and the they just like it story. My dog is like a cow , he goes out in the back yard and looks like he is grazing out there but he never throws up , he's done it since he was little . I doggysit my my friends Aussie and she is the same , always seems to be eating grass here and have not witnessed her throwing up either. I have read somewhere that dogs have been eating some grasses since day one . I have a lawn that is nearly all Kentucky blue grass . When I take my dog over to my friends house , he will not eat the grass over there , I dont know what type of grass it is there but it is a very different shade of green . Maybe there are some strains of grass that tastes really good to dogs ?

My 2 cents worth :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dog only eats grass when his tummy is upset. First, I will notice him obsessively licking the carpet, so I get him outside quick. Then he will eat the grass. I just sit and watch. Make sure he doesn't eat a plant or something he should not. Then, he will either get sick or he will stop and his entire behavior will change and I can see he is feeling better. My dog only eats grass when he is sick. I'm sure there are many dogs that eat grass because they want to. It sounds to me that all your dogs had something going on at the same time that made them sick. I'd be wanting to know what that was....

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had a dog that ate grass almost every day. I guess she just liked to have fiber in her diet. Not all dogs do it. Some chew the ends of the grass but don't really eat it and some dogs do it when they seem to be acting sick to their stomaches. Wouldn't life be easier if they could just tell us why they do what they do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts