Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who already own a dog: why did you want a dog?

it'd be nice to hear people's various perspectives.

edit. this thread was inspired by a question posed in alexisbatman's thread. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had always wanted a dog growing up but was never able to have one due to housing situations. The day I bought my own house I brought my first dog home( I had picked him out, or he had picked me out before the move in date though). Its the best thing I have done so far.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It was a couple of days after my first doctor's appointment, I was 11 weeks pregnant and there we discovered that the baby had no heartbeat. DH and I had always talked about getting a dog, but that was the catalyst, looking at the puppies in Petland, knowing that I would be having surgery to remove the baby from my body in a week. I went home and started contacting breeders to find a puppy, we picked her up just a few days after my surgery. Like Marsh Muppet said, she has been the closest thing to an antidote possible, though it's still hard, dealing with the loss.

Reasons why we wanted a dog before that, we wanted the companionship, we love animals, wanted to bring another member into the family that we could do things with like go on walks and trips. Jilly has been almost nothing but a joy. Housetraining was hard, especially for us first time dog owners, but looking back, really didn't last that long at all. Training has been a fun and interesting experience for both of us. She's also taught us more about communication than we ever dreamed we needed to learn. Rearing a puppy requires a lot of consistency which means that we had to talk through our plans of action and discuss approaches to training and discipline ahead of time to ensure we were on the same page and wouldn't confuse Jilly. I think that when we do finally have a baby we will be better parents from getting Jilly first.

·
Registered
673 Posts
sad to say but I never really wanted another dog after my other one passed on but I gave into my daughter's request to having a puppy and I actually thought she was going to be very involved but.... since she has moved in with her boyfriend and they can't have any pets there and now I couldn't part with the dog anyway, but she does give me a good reason to get out of bed in the morning

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow Jesterjigger- that's horrible. Sad to say I know that feeling. It gets better with time. Time heals all.

I don't have a dog now, but I live with my BF and his dog. She's a nice girl, just a little fearful. We're working on that, and some other issues that she has.

I guess I've always had dogs, and understood dogs. I've always been able to read them very well- not sure why. My life just won't be complete until I have a dog of my own. It's just the way it is for me. Some people have hobbies they're into, like cigars or antique collecting. It's kind of like that, only much deeper.

And to me, maybe because I grew up with keeshonds, a spitz is how a dog should look to me. For my BF, a lab is the "ultimate" dog. Everybody has those quirks- MDawn has a mastiff and a lab, IoreksMom love sammies, some love the terriers- anyway, everyone has an ultimate dog.

That's my drive to have a dog, specifically a samoyed. I love dogs, and to me, that's what a dog should look like.

I'm sure others will have other opinions. I look forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I second (third) Marsh Muppet. My dogs inspire me to do things I would never do without them. I talk to strangers, I walk twice a day, I sit out in the backyard and watch the birds, I pay attention to my moods. They make me more aware.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I can't imagine my life without one (or two...or three) and a cat thrown in on occasion. Unfortunately (or fortunately), they have been the longest relationship I have had (outside my family). They love without question, no matter your mood, are ALWAYS glad to see you no matter how long (or short) a period of time you have been gone, and are usually better than most humans I know. While I don't have to get up in the morning to let them out (doggie doors are the best thing EVER) they give me a reason to come home at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have always had dogs, every since I was little I have always had a dog, not just one dog more than one. Even though I had a bad accident with my pit Bruiser, it wasnt her fault i lied to my parents so they wouldnt put her to sleep. She accidently bit my finger off when I was feeding her hotdogs I was 8 or 9 years old. They sewed it back on and all was fine. I never had any hard feelings against her. I have owned alot of dogs. Even now I cant imagine life without a pack of dogs. I would feel naked without one. I got one under my feet as I type. When im sad, upset and all i got to do is hug my babies and all is right with the world again.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I guess for me I have always had a dog. I have also been to peoples homes without dogs and find them too quiet or still or something. It always feels to me like something is missing from their homes. Dogs add something to a home. A sense of peace and Chaos, happiness and craziness. I don't know exactly in words what it is that a dog adds but their is a feeling of happiness for me when a dog is in the home. Even though they commonly drive me crazy and give me daily messes to clean up the are worth it. IMO

·
Registered
267 Posts
My dog is my only real-life friend. Because of my disability, I can't get a job. So I am always at home with my dog. I would be very lonely without her.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Well I was born on a farm full of farm dogs. When I got a little bit older my parents divorced and I went to go live with my mom, she had dogs then I got my first dog; An Akita that followed me around everywhere and was the best dog ever! Since Captain (my akita) I've always had dogs. I never quite understand people without dogs. Sure, they may be "just dogs" but I can't picture life without my babies!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
So I can sleep soundly :p . Seriously, if I try to sleep without a dog in the house I get nervous. Even though I don't expect the dogs to protect me, I know they'll at least start barking if anything happens.

....Besides, who'd want to live without a dog? They just bring joy to all :D .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jokingly my answer is always.. 'I want the dog to eat one or more of the cats, or at least give them heart attacks.' (My GF has 3 cats)

I got MY first dog when I was 4, lived a whopping 18-19 years... had to put him down about a year before I bought my house. Even though I loved that Austrailian Terrier X, I always wanted a bigger dog, one I could play more physically with. Mind you, I don't think I'll ever find a cuter dog then my first one, which is probably for the best.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
So I can sleep soundly :p . Seriously, if I try to sleep without a dog in the house I get nervous. Even though I don't expect the dogs to protect me, I know they'll at least start barking if anything happens.

....Besides, who'd want to live without a dog? They just bring joy to all :D .

Except for when they are in bed with you and let out a loud bark at 2 a.m....makes me almost wet the bed. At least I know I'm alive since my heart is pounding ninety to nothing!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I was pretty young when we first got Spunky, and I'll admit that at that age I was still under the idealistic impression that puppies were just fluffy balls of love that jumped out of gift boxes at Christmas and snuggled up to you in bed all night. We had moved into our new house for about two years when one day I thought "hey, how come we don't have a dog?" My parents both grew up with and loved dogs, and we had the perfect yard for a canine companion. Why wouldn't we all love a dog to toss the Frisbee around in the yard with, to gander off-leash over the grassy hills of the nearby park, to perform all kinds of lovely, endearing tricks?

Of course, this illusion was very quickly shattered by having a Beagle as my first dog... a breed that's more likely to eat a Christmas tree than curl up under it. She destroyed two Frisbees before she ever learned to catch one and was (and still is) totally unreliable off-leash in the park. So yes, like many Beagle owners out there that I criticise, I found out about the Beagle's "flaws" only after I had acquired one. (The dog book I checked out of the library described them as "fun-loving and rambunctious"!) By then it was too late, though, because those "flaws" were already strengths in my eyes... her hard-headedness demonstrated character to me; her mischief was a sense of humour. I was completely in love. Since then, she's been my teacher, my playmate, my sister, my training guinea pig, my personal trainer and my all-around best friend.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts