Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog just past away yesterday and I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what happened??? This is what I can tell you.
He was 13 years old has always been in good health.
First when he was about 9 or 10 he started having trouble with his back legs. He was running around like normal. Then he squealed then he limped for a while and he recovered fast. The vet said i could pay several thousad for surgry or he might have a little limp. His left leg was the problem and it went out once or twice more and eventually he lost most of his use in that leg. But he was strong and worked around it. Also if he saw a squirrel he ran like a puppy and used both legs and never seemed like he was hurt.
Some time last year we noticed that he had gone mostly deaf and could really only hear us whistling.
Other then his legs and ears he was very happy and health until he got sick. About 6 months ago he had pretty bad diarrhea for about a day before I took him to the vet. He used to weigh 97 pounds and he was down to 85. But the vet gave him some meds and said if it worked then he's probably fine. He was back to himself before the meds hit his stomach. I'm not sure now maybe this is where I should have paid for the expensive battery of tests.
Then sometime around February or so he started urinating and drink water a lot more than usual. It seemed he just went out came back in drank more and then asked to go back out. He never peed inside and that never changed. He could still make it while we were away for even 4 or 5 hours.
It seemed like he's going outside less or maybe we got used to it. But he really seemed okay. I would have paid anything to fix him but no I don't have $2000 to do it when he still might not
make it. So now this is what happened 4 days ago.
He was being his usual self. Happy. Had eaten and drank all day the day before. But sometime in the early afternoon he was outside and came back yelping. I ran out side and my first thought was his legs were out again. He couldn't walk very well. He was falling down. But he wasn't paralyzed yet. I thought he would heal as usual but I hadn't noticed yet that he hadn't eaten all day. Cause once in a while he would skip breakfast and wait till dinner. But not often. He ate twice a day up till then.
So then next day I realized he wasnt eating and when I tried to give him he favorite human foods he turned his head. And that freaked me out. Remember he's a tank and he's always eaten everything. So finally the vet tells me that again we need lots of test that I can't afford and be told me to consider putting him down. It could be anything from cancer to his legs.
So his legs started getting worse. I had to help him get up to get out. But he would yelp when I grabbed him around his ribs. I had to basically carry his back half. But when we got out side he couldn't pee.
He started sleeping a lot more and eventually he stopped helping at all like he had no feeling in his back legs. And at first when I helped him up he could walk on his own for a ways when I let go and now he can't make it 3 feet. We now were dragging him everywhere he needed to go on a blanket. All the while he was drinking water but he would immediately puke it back up like a minute later.
So I couldn't just let him go right away because I didn't know what was going on and I want also wanted time to either say goodbye or find out what I should do.
After four days he was completely paralyzed hadn't eaten in four days other than we did get him to eat two small bites of chicken. He was drinking and throwing it up so on the last twenty for hours we didn't give him much water thinking we were making it worse. But we were having drink for five seconds at a time and drinking off a wet rag.
We had the vet coming around five to the house to let him go. It was a hard decision but he didn't even make it. My best friend is gone and I miss him. I know he was sick. But I just know why it happed so fast. Was he paralyzed because of his legs or was it some type of cancer which I've heard can do that to dogs. Should I have had the vet come to let him go sooner. I have so many questions I didn't know if any of this information was connected to form a larger problem or not. I also know you can't very well diagnos him now. But given all this anyone have a good guess??? :(

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If he was paralyzed so he couldn't pee, then his bladder may have ruptured. Or, he may have had Diabetes, since you say he was drinking a lot. That can cause heart problems left untreated, or he could have gone into a diabetic coma/death.

There is no way to know without a necropsy though.

I probably would have had him at the vet when he wouldn't eat/seemed paralyzed, and probably euthed sooner, but hindsight is 20/20. You do the best you can. Just remember this in the future, and maybe consider taking action as soon as a dog seems in pain or stops eating. My condolences on your loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if he did have diabetes or a ruptured bladder or anything, then dose that mean he probably died from this? I know there is no certainty here I'm just trying to get peoples best guess. I just want to make sure that he didn't starve or die of dehydration. I tried my best but I have 2 kids and at his age with no promise that the treatment would work then I couldn't spend the kind of money they were asking even if I had it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What breed of dog was it? 97 lbs is a big dog, and most big breeds never see 13 years old to begin with.

I'd say more than anything, he may have died of old age. It could have been cancer, or it could have been his body just shutting down like old bodies will do.

I'm sorry about your loss.

Edit: also it's my understanding that it's very common for dying dogs to stop eating. That's one of the signs that things are really bad.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It kind of sounds like a heart problem. . .thrombosis can cause paralysis. He probably was dehydrated if he couldn't keep water down, but I doubt that's what finally did it. At his age sometimes things just stop working :(. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya 97 lbs. Doc said he was morbidly obese from the age of 3. I guess he proved em wrong on that. But he was a mutt. Rescued from the street when he was about a month old. When he was a year or younger he looked like a pit bull and a golden retriver. With the coloring of a boxer. He lost the Pitt face as an adult. But he had fur about 2 inches thick and more in some. His tail fanned out just like a retheriever. He was a beast. A tank but he was beautiful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think everything that everyone is saying is plausible. But if it were only old age I don't understand what the yelp was for. He yelped and then got stopped eating and got sick. Before that yelp there was nothing wrong. At least nothing apperant from his physical body on the outside and he was his same old self.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
View attachment 32962
This is zeusbear at 6 months.
He was lovely.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Having a beloved pet die is horrible no matter what circumstance. In the future, just use the info from his passing to try to get to a vet earlier and euth earlier if needed. I've had several old dogs and cats put down due to illness/diesease. FWIW, I've never felt that I put one down too soon. The one that haunts me is the one where I think I waited too long, and was trying to keep her going (she had congestive heart failure). But I think everyone has one, early experience like that early on, that changes how you do things in the future. And that is really the best thing to learn from it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I think everything that everyone is saying is plausible. But if it were only old age I don't understand what the yelp was for. He yelped and then got stopped eating and got sick. Before that yelp there was nothing wrong. At least nothing apperant from his physical body on the outside and he was his same old self.
I suppose though I didn't realize it yet, But he had already stopped eating that morning.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well, not sure where but it seems somebody said we are born and then we start to die, actually 13 years for large dog is a good life.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Pain around the ribs might indicate kidney issues.... and lots of dogs die from kidney problems. General problems are determined by bloodwork. ... Mine went downhill quickly at an old age in about 4 hours... Usually no warning, b/c dogs are stoic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pain around the ribs might indicate kidney issues.... and lots of dogs die from kidney problems. General problems are determined by bloodwork. ... Mine went downhill quickly at an old age in about 4 hours... Usually no warning, b/c dogs are stoic.
So that makes sense but I'm wondering? He could barley walk and yes his ribs hurt when I helped him. Then why about a day or a little more later was he completely un able to walk and then no more yelping from the ribs. Or yelping for anything anymore. I used the blanket to hoist on the the bed to lay with us and he never made a sound about that anymore ethier. Its almost like he felt no pain at all. Like I said his left leg always limped and made him yelp if you tugged a bit to hard or something, but when I was trying to see where pain might be coming from its like he couldn't even feel his back half at all anymore.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honestly, at that age, especially for a large dog, the possibilities are too many and very likely related simply to old-age. That's not to say that he died just because of old-age, as obviously there were some sort of issues that progressively worsened over time, but definitely sounds like the overall cause was old age. One thing leads to another. The leg issue may have been leg or hip or some sort of nerve issue or various things that over time worsened. Other issues come with age and size and next thing you know he may have had organs that began to slowly shut down, and one leads to another and so on and so forth. Even had you spent the money, at his age, there was probably little benefit to be gained, if any at all. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it so much, or continue questioning so specifically every detail, because while I realize you've lost a dear friend, he did apparently live a good, long life.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't, just don't. I know how you feel, but don't torture yourself.

My Muggsy (in my sig) was that big (though not obese, he was a GSD mix) and he died a week after his 13th birthday. Friday night, he was dancing around with joy at going for a walk, Saturday morning, he couldn't stand up. I put him to sleep on Monday, and I truly regret not doing it sooner, but I hoped, really hoped, he would get better. He didn't.

Old dogs are old. The vet's best guess with Muggsy was liver cancer as he was in full liver failure by the time I brought him in to be put to sleep (prior to Monday morning, he was very sick, but not any sicker than he'd been in the past with gastroenteritis and I did treat that at home a few times), but the vet said basically age killed him, just as it kills any dog that's lucky enough to live that long.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Zeus looks like a good dog.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If he was paralyzed, were you emptying his bladder for him? When Suzi (rip) got botulism, she became paralyzed and we had to press her bladder. If you didn't do that, a rupture might have been the case.

But yeah, 13 is a nice age for a large dog! He was beautiful. I'm so sorry that he passed, but I definitely understand your pain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts