Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
Don't you just hate when they can't be friends.... 馃 馃榿

Registered
As it should be.

P.S. you need to update your signature before Oliver notices...

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, if I see Franklin alone, I go investigate because it almost never happens.

This morning Franklin came to me and gave me his best, "I think you'd better come and see this" dance. This is what I found.
Vertebrate Blue Carnivore Water Dog

When he saw me watching him, he stopped and jumped out, like he wasn't sure he should be doing this. But this is exactly why that little pool is there. He is a known water dog. Soon, we'll try a trip to the beach on a long lead.
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Grey

Registered
Ah, Franklin is a tattle tale! Always good to have one of them.

Registered
Sorry if this is ignorant, but what breed is Oliver likely to be? That's cute, the water dog part surprised me.

They are both so adorable. Congrats on the 2nd dog!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rescue says schnauzer mix. I will do an embark test. He has a rather coarse coat and is virtually non-shedding. He is not an alarm barker, but he barks for attention. I assume he will need regular grooming.

The water would have surprised me. But the foster warned me that he likes to play in the water dish and dump it out if he can. He gets into the walk-in shower with my wife, while Franklin runs and hides. The pool just has s few inches of water so it remains to be seen if he will actually swim.

Registered
Haha that's funny, most schnauzers (if that's what he turns out to be) are not so much water dogs. They typically hate to get wet, even some rain. I bet that courser hair helps keep him feeling dryer. The soft coat just soaks it all up, I imagine it would be like falling in the water with your clothes on, or the wet clothes feeling afterward. Should be interesting if he likes to swim!

I have a mini schnauzer and didn't want him to fear rain, so I always made sure to go out there with him in the light rain. That and I wet him down in the summer on walks. He doesn't really mind getting wet or the rain too much.

Registered
My guess would be that there is some terrier in there to account for the water dog.

The pool is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so we'll see if Tornado-dog enjoys swimming as much as he loves the sprinkler. Whether I put up a deck or not depends on that answer - if he doesn't want to swim, deck can happen; if he loves swimming, no deck so he can't get in the pool on his own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts