Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to purchase my new house when I looked at various homeowners insurance. There's a section to disclose the type of dogs you own. These were on one list:

Akita
Pit Bull
Alaskan Malamute
Presa Canario
American Staffordshire Terrier
Rottweiler
Bull Mastiff
Husky
Chow Chow
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Doberman Pinscher
Wolf Hybrid
Great Dane

I know dogs can cause damage... however, it's the type of owners that allow dogs to distruct their homes. I have an idea dogs can damage houses especially after looking at a few the past month, However, why pick on the breed?

Obviously, I would need to check the box for 'husky', but I'm wondering how much more this might cost me :(...... He is excellent in the house.

Has anyone run into this?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
tons of people have run into this

its dumb because it relies on fallible statistics.

and it will cost you more money most likely. these are the "dangerous breeds"

most of society doesnt understand how dogs work and think that the word breed is an ironclad rule in dictating a dog's temperment. they are worried about these breeds hurting people and destroying the house

hey if you want

im not a homeowner but i know a few homeowners with pit bulls and one in particular i remember her talking about having this issue and i think she said there is one compaany that doesnt list like that that she found

if i see her again soon i will ask her who it was

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes I've run into it more then once unfortunately. One was an outright cancel after they changed their policy.

What an "innocent" dog owner you are. I don't say that in a mean way, just that you are lucky thus far not to have had discrimination issues. Though with a husky I can understand why. They are not as much in the spotlight as Pits, Rotts, even GSD, Dobie or Chows.

The reason they are black listed is because they are "dangerous breeds". This has nothing to do with destruction of your home, but because when your dog attacks someone your HOI will be sued. These breeds have higher stats of attacks. So they think these breeds are going to be dangerous and therefore cost them money.

If you are lucky and they will still insure you while owning a husky and it will only cost you more or you will need to pay for a separate liability policy (which of course is more cost too). Otherwise typically they won't insure owners of the listed breeds at all. It does depend on the company but many with a list have them because if you own one they won't insure you at all, so that is part of their process to weed you out. They do not want to take the risk of insuring someone with a "dangerous dog that will attack sooner or later".

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It's the same thing as when they charge a male under 25 more for car insurance than a female under 25, because statistically, he is more likely to crash.. to them, he is a greater risk to insure.. even though an individual male under 25 may be a better driver than most every male/female over 25, he'll still be charged more.. It's screwed up, but it makes some small amount of sense to the insurance company.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
State Farm has no breed black list...I didn't have to disclose my dogs breeds at all, and in fact I get a discount for having dogs because of the thinking that people are less likely to break in homes with dogs. Downside is that State Farm is not among the cheapest insurance out there....not sure how it compares when you factor in the extra cost of owning a "dangerous" breed with other companies.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These two are harmless. Though... Ilya is a little dangerous with Wubbas.

Ilya makes a horrible guard dog and Lola quickly licks everyone. Maybe the wolf like features scare most people.

Thank you for the info. Another person recommended State Farm to me also. I wonder if there's discounts for being trained. The current place I'm renting can't prove Lola is a pit soooo... I guess she's I don't need to worry.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it isn't about if they are destructive and cause damage to the house...it is about them being a liability and causing damage to another human and then you getting sued which will then file a claim on your homowners insurance! You will either pay more for insurance or they will not take you and a customer. I have a doberman and a rottweiler and it was hard to find insurance that allowed them! and my dogs are perfectly behaved, and obey...but they have the name and that is all that matters to many!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yup. Like others have said. Homeowners policies have a general liability clause and the breeds listed are considered liability problems. I am surprised it misses the APBT and the GSD.

It is all pretty stupid. Stupid or ignorant owners with no desire to put an effort into dog ownership create liability, not the breed of dog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I work for an insurance company, and we do have an aggressive dog list. We won't necessarily decline you right away, but we would probably send someone out to meet with your dog and do a type of interview. I have never had to set this up before, so I am not sure how it works, but I do know that we have insured people with these dogs in the past.
I wanted to also touch base on the other comments listed here. I understand it can be frustrating as you may have one of these breeds, and they are well behaved. Unfortunately, you have to pay for the people that are irresponsible with their dogs and do not train them properly just like you have to pay for people who are uninsured and who makes many claims on their policies. You have to view insurance as a pool, and this is why insurance companies somewhat rely on statistics. Statistics show that these breeds have a larger chance and have had more issues with claims and harming people excetra just like males under 25 tend to have more accidents. It's the same way with a credit based insurance score - the lower your insurance score, the more likely you will file a claim and have a loss. Again, these do not apply to everyone like you have said, but there is a higher chance that these apply to most people.
If you have any more questions or would like to get a quote from me, feel free to let me know! Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Isn't it funny? I mean, I have had Rottweiler's for over 31 years now. I have NEVER had to make a claim for my dogs. They have never bit anyone or threatened anyone. They are not running the neighborhood or causing any ruckus. (other then in my house ;) ) Not too many people can claim that. Especially with as large of numbers of this breed as I have worked with. To me, that shows a fault in the insurance companies reasoning. Safe owner, safe dog. The opposite also applies. IMO

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
i agree with inga

you should be looking at the people, not the dogs. ask for vet records to see if they are taking care of the animal. ask for evidence of obedience training. ask for city registration evidence which you could then use to see if the people have ever had animal control called on them. do it with EVERYONE who has dogs.

insurance companies do this sort of thing with drivers and their driving history...why not with dogs? they could go a long way towards preventing the kind of incidents that cause problems.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My friend has a Staffordshire, mind you if you'd try to break into his house, the dog will most likely go and show you where all the jewlery is kept!!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
FWIW when I had Farm Family insurance they never even asked. I now have Liberty Mutual and they asked and dropped it when I said my dog had her CGC and we were working for Obedience titles.

I think that while they may statistically handle this, a company that truly wants your business will go further. Certainly, as with driving, if you have had a previous liability claim with a dog bite, they will likely enforce the list. If they don't need your business they will enforce the list. There may be areas of some cities where they also enforce the list due to statistical claims.

Does not mean I agree with it BTW.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have an aggressive dog that bites the mailman they are going to sue your home insurance, makes sense, unfortunately these breeds tend to be unpredictable even with the best owners.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Society doesn't understand dogs or owners. Here's a news flash: Society doesn't understand actuarial science. Hell, I work for an insurance company and I don't understand it.

I do understand that it is the opposite of arbitrary. If acturarials and underwriters didn't use statistics to set premiums or approve coverage, everybody else would pay much higher rates. This may seem more "fair" but most people wouldn't like it.

I used to make my living underwater. Life insurance was difficult to get and expensive. From a practical standpoint, it didn't matter that I was an experienced and well-trained instructor.

And another example that I deal with in my new, more sedate, life: If you have group health insurance through a small employer, your premiums will depend on your age and gender. If you are a female if child-bearing age, your rates are going to be up to double those of a male, and it won't matter if you don't intend to have children. Should we imagine that insurance companies hate babies? No, but babies are expensive and risky - from a claims standpoint, just like some dog breeds.

If you work for a larger employer, with a larger shared risk pool, everybody will pay the same premium. Good for those young females, but no good for the menopausal ones.

So you can find homeowners carriers that don't care what kind of dog you have but it just means that their non dog-owner clients are sharing the risk and paying at least slightly higher premiums (almost certainly without realizing they are doing it.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can thank the stupid dog owners.

If you have an aggressive dog that bites the mailman they are going to sue your home insurance, makes sense, unfortunately these breeds tend to be unpredictable even with the best owners.
Have you ever met or had any of those breeds ?
Most of them would just lick people to death, and like Kina_A show them where all the good things are kept.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I believe anyone who understands actuarial science is an Alien Implant (or has one..)... and they DO walk among us! :p :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand firsthand why dogs such as Pitbulls attract higher premiums. My neighbor had a pitbull which was pretty docile until my dad bought a new pickup truck with a loud diesel engine. Though the dog had never been aggressive before, it attacked my dad and was put down subsequently.

Sometimes the dog's behavior is beyond it's conscience mind and becomes instinctive, you can't train that out of an animal!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts