Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not speaking for all dogs her because I have seen some dogs that indeed need there space but I was sitting down watching tv today and my puppy gently sits in my lap and falls asleep there. I thought it was too cute to not mention it and it also got me thinking about all the other times and how much she likes to cuddle and how she always has to be by my side. What is it about a dog that motivates them to do this? This is something that cannot be trained or at least hasn't been on my part. I wonder what goes on in there head when they think about there care taker?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I often wondered that myself. I have had my dogs for about 7 years and often wonder what drives them to want to be close to us. I am no dog pro and have not researched this by any means but I think they are instinctively social and pack animals. I think that is the kind of behavior they would have in the wild as well. They would "cuddle" the other dogs in the pack... You'll notice that people who have multiple dogs, the dogs often cuddle together (mine do occasionally). But just like people, they have different personality so not all of them like the same amount of attention and/or "cuddling". :)

Just my amateur dog owner theory.. :p

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Dogs have a lot of wonderful qualities most people don't have. Don't know why, and not about to complain :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
CM says a dog that sits on you or leans against you uninvited is dominating you. That may not be the case in all dogs though..

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
CM says a dog that sits on you or leans against you uninvited is dominating you. That may not be the case in all dogs though..
Cesar Milan says a lot of things. :rolleyes:

I, for one, do not think my 5 month old puppy is imposing his dominance on me while we are snuggling together at night watching TV, with his head on my shoulders and my arm around him.

I guess I should eat from his bowl before letting him eat, too. And then alpha roll him next time he puts his head on my lap :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cesar Milan says a lot of things. :rolleyes:

I, for one, do not think my 5 month old puppy is imposing his dominance on me while we are snuggling together at night watching TV, with his head on my shoulders and my arm around him.

I guess I should eat from his bowl before letting him eat, too. And then alpha roll him next time he puts his head on my lap :p
I said that might not be the case in all dogs... :rolleyes: But if you think your puppy wouldn't dominate you just because it's 5 months old you're sorely mistaken:p

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'm just expressing my doubt that he is trying to dominate me by trying to be near me and touching me, because the majority of dogs I know do immensely enjoy physical contact and will often try to seek it. I am not saying 5 month old puppies are all submissive little critters.

I can just imagine Trent now.
"Great! She's watching TV. This is now an excellent time to sneak up on her, sit on her, and show how much of an alpha I am".

I think a better way to word it is "CM says a dog that sits on you or leans against you uninvited is dominating you. That may be the case in only a few dogs already displaying dominant behaviors towards you, though". Because I do agree with that. It's also the reasoning behind the NILIF system, which requires a dog to obey a command before getting petted or a belly rub. But it's it's very out there to assume that when most dogs initiate contact are trying to dominate you.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Haha... Cute.

I really doubt most of what CM says, lol... ;)

Donatello is the biggest love-bug I have ever known. He's more cuddly and lovey-dovey than my ex-boyfriend was. :rolleyes:

Donatello will almost randomly sit-up, lean against my shoulder, and lay his head at angle that it fits snugly against my neck. Then if I turn my head, he'll lean his head against mine, and I'll hear him wagging his tail, **thump, thump, thump, thump** Sometimes he can be a little "dominating" when it comes to wanting affection, like- He'll try to nudge my book out of my hands so he can put his chin in my palm, or he'll just to crawl onto my lap putting his body between my eyes and the words on the page... That can get frustrating at times, but every time he'll look back at me, and his ears will flop back, (BAT-DOG) lol! And I'll just roll my eyes and shake my head, give him a kiss and tell him to lay down next to me...

As for answering your question as to why they're so "loving", I'm not sure... I believe Donatello actually loves me and admires me for rescuing him from the Animal Shelter, from day one he's snuggled like this with me and strives for affection... I can't come up with any other excuse...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Dogs have a lot of wonderful qualities most people don't have. Don't know why, and not about to complain :D
Lol, same here!!

Maybe it's because puppies are natural cuddlers with one another, then when they are taken away from their brothers and sisters they still want to cuddle...so they cuddle with you. My puppy likes to be touching me when she sleeps, it is really cute and I love it so much! My older dog doesn't like to be touched when she sleeps, but sometimes she will cuddle...and it is so wonderful when she does!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Im not speaking for all dogs her because I have seen some dogs that indeed need there space but I was sitting down watching tv today and my puppy gently sits in my lap and falls asleep there. I thought it was too cute to not mention it and it also got me thinking about all the other times and how much she likes to cuddle and how she always has to be by my side. What is it about a dog that motivates them to do this? This is something that cannot be trained or at least hasn't been on my part. I wonder what goes on in there head when they think about there care taker?
We'll always wonder what's going on in a dog's head, but it would seem natural that on a whole dogs are social creatures. They look for us to facilitate them.

As to why a dog may lean against you to rest or cuddle, think of the images you've seen of newborn puppies huddled together while they sleep. They learn very early that being close to others is warm and comforting. The fact that your dog is using you for warmth and comfort is not very warming in itself...it can be viewed as the dog is just using you...but the fact that she chose being next to you out of all other comforting places I think says more about you.:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Haha... Cute.

I really doubt most of what CM says, lol... ;)

Donatello is the biggest love-bug I have ever known. He's more cuddly and lovey-dovey than my ex-boyfriend was. :rolleyes:

Donatello will almost randomly sit-up, lean against my shoulder, and lay his head at angle that it fits snugly against my neck. Then if I turn my head, he'll lean his head against mine, and I'll hear him wagging his tail, **thump, thump, thump, thump** Sometimes he can be a little "dominating" when it comes to wanting affection, like- He'll try to nudge my book out of my hands so he can put his chin in my palm, or he'll just to crawl onto my lap putting his body between my eyes and the words on the page... That can get frustrating at times, but every time he'll look back at me, and his ears will flop back, (BAT-DOG) lol! And I'll just roll my eyes and shake my head, give him a kiss and tell him to lay down next to me...

As for answering your question as to why they're so "loving", I'm not sure... I believe Donatello actually loves me and admires me for rescuing him from the Animal Shelter, from day one he's snuggled like this with me and strives for affection... I can't come up with any other excuse...
A lot of people on this board seem to have that opinion... which baffles me because he obviously knows what he's doing and the dogs are better for it.
My dogs and wife's terrible little dachshunds are better for it.

He's even manned up and admitted when dog rehab didn't work and the dog had to be put down. No fault of his though. Ok, I'll stop there, don't want to hijack or turn this into a CM debate.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Uallis isn't really all that "loving" in terms of wanting to cuddle and snuggle. He'll lay by my feet or sometimes rest his head in my lap for a few seconds but that is how he shows affection or rather try to get affection from us. As for leaning against people, he does this as well on occasion. I hardly think he's trying to dominate me as he will often lean against the piano or the wall (maybe he's trying to dominate the piano...:p) When he does it to us, we just happen to be a convenient leaning post.

Eddie tries to get in our laps all the time...the problem is that he doesn't fit and normally only his butt will fit...lol...poor dog...sometimes I feel bad for his because he just wants to be a lap dog SO bad...lol He loves getting affection and is very affectionate to others. He's our household lovebug.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think some dogs just like to be near their person just like some people are happiest when around other people. Some people are social and some are not. I think the same applies to dogs. I have only had 1 dog in all of my years that was not happy with big hugs and kisses. She still loved to be right by me all the time and did like to be petted and played with but was not comfortable with bear hugs. (something I do with all of my other dogs) I think in part, it is how they are brought up. If they are hugged and kissed a lot when they are little and it is done in a way that is respectful to their comfort level, I think they will be most social. If they are not, then they might be less social. If they are hurt or scared in some manner by an over zealous hugger then they might be less comfortable with hugs.

I am just happy that my dogs love to be close and love to snuggle. On occasion it is annoying though. I can't even go to the restroom without the boys following me in. Once I just kept getting up from one room and walking into the next then sit and repeat. I did this about 25 times and ALL 25 times they got up with me and followed me into the next room. :) sweet but annoying. ;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've noticed that the more I let Donatello love on me, and show his affection for me, I find that he's a happier dog... I think like what ABND said about "feeling secure from being physically close" is probably the best explanation for your "average" companion... When I first got Donatello, he was snugly, but like a regular dog would be... But now, as the months have progressed, like I stated earlier, he'll put his forehead against mine, he'll wag his tail, he'll lean against me and snuggle his head against my neck... It's really affectionate, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact him and I have been through a lot, emotionally, with each other...

He trusts me about as much as any dog with his past is capable of, but that doesn't stop him from cuddling with me, and I think when I let him cuddle and love on me, it's a boost to his ego and boosts his confidence...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
That is so NOT true. I for one take what he has to say with a grain of salt. To each his own I suppose. Butch loves to be near me all the time. Roxxy not so much so but still quite a bit. I guess Mortimer is trying to dominate me when he rubs against me or insists that I pet him...:confused:

I agree that it stems from puppyhood and snuggling with siblings. I had a dog who rarely loved on me but when she did, I was happy. I let her be her.

Guess that's why he's the EX-boyfriend...;) And most dogs are more affectionate than a lot of people I know.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Why do people like to hug each other and hold hands? In addition to these things being expressions of emotions (that dogs may or may not experience as we do), they just plain feel nice :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Most dogs by nature are social creatures. Some are more independent where others love to be with their people. Often dogs like to lay together, partially on each other and pups like to lay with and be around their dam. They also sleep with their littermates. We can't know exactly what they are thinking about us. Or what they think when they do this. It is like a natural action for them to be close to others.

LOL

Why do people like to hug each other and hold hands? In addition to these things being expressions of emotions (that dogs may or may not experience as we do), they just plain feel nice :)
Because they like to dominate others.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I have had both cuddly all the time and some who have been not so much so. Butch is up against me almost all the time I am laying and watching TV. He sleeps on his pillow (on the bed...I know, spoiled) or under it at night. Roxxy lays next to me but does NOT want to snuggle. I can't pick her up or try to hold her.

Both were rescued at the same age so it must have been the first year of their life that made them the way they are today. And I love each of them for who they are...snuggly or not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts