Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was walking my 5 month old Great Dane/Bullmastiff puppy around the block the other day and this person came up to me and asked me what kind of breed she was. I told her she was a Great Dane/Bullmastiff mix, she kinda just threw up her nose and did a little "huff" and I was like okay...

Well me and Harleigh continued to walk around and we met up with the lady again (we were walking in different directions... if that makes sense), and anyways this time she camp up and told me that Harleigh was most definitely not a Great Dane/Bullmastiff mix.. That she probably didn't even have Great Dane in her and that she had been breeding Labrador Retriever's her whole life and that she was a full-blooded Lab. She then continued to say that even though she loves Lab's and she didn't think she could ever see one and say they were ugly, but that she was one of the ugliest dog she had ever seen. She said she wasn't as ugly as a Pug was (which I don't think is ugly...), but that she was pretty up there on her list.

I don't mind if she doesn't think Harleigh is cute or pretty or anything, but did she really have to come up and tell me? She coulda just kept it to herself. I just don't understand how people can be so mean and rude..

I mean I don't really care what other people think (about me or my dog's) because I think they are cute anyways.. It just kinda bugs me..

Okay.. My rant is over. lol.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Oh, I do feel your pain. I have never had this experience with my dog, but you pretty much described my typical day at work: rude people who have no manners. Unfortunately, they're out there... nothing can be done about that!

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
People who behave like that are miserable and misery loves company.

When I encounter someone like that, I always think, "Well, at least I don't live with her or work with her or really even have to ever see her again."

My oversize black lab was, to be completely objective, an immensely handsome dog and in prime condition for most of his life. But, even though it happened over ten years ago, I remember someone coming up to me at the dogpark and telling me my dog was fat - that he must eat too many tacos. (An odd comment since I don't think he ever ate a taco.)

What I should be remembering is all the people that came up to me over the years and told me what a magnificent-looking dog he was.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do agree that she does resemble a Lab. But she does have at least one thing in common with a Great Dane and a Bullmastiff... LAZY! LAZY! LAZY! She's such a sweetheart though!:)

And honestly (and I know there may be some out there..) how many Labs are 55 or 60 pounds at 5 months? And anyways, I did see the mother and father (they were both brought in from the same house; rescue dogs; mother was already pregnant), but maybe somewhere down line there was Lab in there. IDK.

I don't really care! I know what her breed is and I know she's cute!!:)

I know these are so mean people out there.. I think the world could do w/o them!:) LOL.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
That is really awful that people would say those things to you! I find it unbelievable that someone would have the nerve to call another person's dog ugly right to their face. I am sure your dog is not ugly at all and that woman just has a stick up her @$$ and is taking her problems out on the rest of the world.

·
Registered
637 Posts
hahaha u've had that happen a few times...I got my jackrussell from people that breed show jacks, he's as pure as they come, down the to papers and blood tests, well this lady was adamant that he was a dachshund Xfox terrier and not even after i gave her the breeders name and website did she believe me. and when i was younger we had a blue merle border Collie male that we were looking after for someone..this lady bred aussie shepherds there was no convincing her that he was border collie I had to laugh after ig ot the whole "but border collies are only black and white"..i was like you idiot:rolleyes:people

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow. That lady sounds like a b-word. Even if I thought a dog was not cute, I would never go up and tell the owner that. It's like asking a woman "When is your baby due?" when she isn't pregnant. <-Yes that has happened to me numerous times at work. Anyway, you would think its just common knowledge not to say things like that.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The purely stupid ones...your best bet is to completely ignore them. I have a 5 month old, 70ish pound, male Saint Bernard. Some reactions to him leave me scratching my head. At 10-11 weeks old I was told I was stupid for bringing him home, my house is too small for him...really? He doesnt mind! On another occasion I had 3 adults step out of a truck across the street from where we were walking and pitch a toddler style tantrum because I was walking a "fing big dog".

Your pup is beautiful, that lady obviously needs her eyes examined. Unfortunatly, common sense isnt so common anymore. Enjoy your sweet girl and try not to let the stupidity spouted by strangers get to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I wonder if there could be nice people if we didn't have mean people. What would we compare them to?

I lived in Santa Barbara for several years. They have the most idyllic climate imaginable and, after about three years, I fled back to Wisconsin. How do you know it's a beautiful day if EVERY day is beautiful?

When it's 75 and sunny in Wisconsin, I KNOW it's a beautiful day because, the day before, it was 52 and foggy. Or maybe snowing.

Nasty people keep things in perspective. They help us appreciate the truly nice people. And there is an immense feeling of personal victory if a nasty person fails to ruin a perfectly good day.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nasty people keep things in perspective. They help us appreciate the truly nice people. And there is an immense feeling of personal victory if a nasty person fails to ruin a perfectly good day.
I guess that is true. I agree with you, if there wasn't any mean people in the world.. what would happen? Who knows... And how would be able to tell or appreciate the nice people? I seemed to have forgotten about all the people who have came up to be and told be Harleigh was gorgeous. I guess it just takes that one person to ruin your day or even your perspective.

So maybe I don't want mean people to be gone.. well at least not all of them.. Hehe.. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
We should keep one or two to use as a bad example.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Next time you see her, if she starts in on your dog again, tell her she's uglier than the dog and walk away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is terrible!

People give Ludo a hard time because (to be honest) he was a very *VERY* bad leash walker. The Husky in him always took over and all he did was pull, pull, pull! That was until I got a front hooking harness (lifesaver!) and now he walks like an angel.

I would always get so mad when people would critisize him! I don't need you telling me, I already know. But oh, buddy, had they ever called my dog ugly (which he is NOT!) they would not see the end of my wrath. That is like calling someone's kid ugly. You just don't do it. Doesn't matter if it is true - keep it to yourself!

I would have told her at least my dog behaves better than her and walked off with a huff!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some people are just like that :(

The only good thing I ever take from encounters with rude people is that they make me mad, and when I am mad Ruby gets a really good walk while I try to work off my anger :p

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That's incredible rude. I would've ripped her a new one.
Let her think before she opens her mouth next time.

I had a woman try to tell me that Kaki's a greyhoundXaussie because she zoomies so fast. I tried to tell her that Kaki's a catahoulaX but she was adament, almost indignant that I dare question her judgement.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I totally would have said "Yoy may think she's ugly, but my dog's totally prettier than you are."

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That is pretty rude. I would have said something like, "Maybe he's not beautiful, but what he lacks in looks he more than makes up for in good manners. What's your excuse?"

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Wait, first she says he's definitely a purebred Lab, but then she says he's a really ugly Lab? Ooooookkkkkkk..........some people!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait, first she says he's definitely a purebred Lab, but then she says he's a really ugly Lab? Ooooookkkkkkk..........some people!

Yeah.. I know!! Confused me too. I think she got mad because I told her that Harleigh didn't have any lab in her, that she was a Great Dane/Bullmastiff mix and then I guess she just decided that since she couldn't be right about her "breed guess", she would be mean.. I'm really not sure. Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts