Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Bethany had to babysit for the spawn of satan a few months ago. Little red smooth [email protected]!*%.
LOL I did, really I did. I have hated few dogs in my lifetime but this one was one of them. ;-) (oh and Cait, now they want to BREED him. BWAAAAAAHHH more evil devils like him running around. BLAH)

Plus my aunt used to BYB Doxies for years and I never did like hers.

Some breeds just aren't my cup of tea, and doxies are one of them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just wanted to say that I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with what I said. I know there are good dachshunds, my cousin has one in fact. I've just been made fairly bitter living with this particular one :p

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Maybe in other states you can get away with it, but in TX it is Y'ALL. ;-)
In TX, LA, MS, AL & KY it's y'all.

Now just so I don't hijack the thread, I like Doxies (other people's) but I'm not sure if I could live with one.

To the OP, here's and experiment to try. Have your GF take the dogs out for a walk or something. Then spread papers, etc. over the floor to look as if the dogs had been in the trash. When the dogs come back into the room see how they react to the mess on the floor. It can be an eye-opening experience.

One form of "correction" that works well is to allow the object to "defend" itself. There's a product you can get at PetCo or PetsMart called "Snappy Traps." You can use these to set up the trash can (or other object) to snap at the dogs when they raid the trash. You don't have to be there, the dogs can't actually be harmed in any way, but suddenly they thing the trash can can bite.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I started out saying how to train these Dachshunds (lets see if I can spell it right.. ).

I later said I was too emotionally compromised to be up to the task and I never referred to these dogs as the spawn of satan :eek: :p Poor little doggies.. who would rip the throat of a big sister.. It is never the dog's fault.

I too would never underestimate a dachshund. I recognize exactly how persistant they are.

It is MY shortcomings that put me out of the running to be a dachshund owner.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The water bottle trick will only teach them not to do it when you're around, or even just not to do it when you have that water bottle in your hand ;)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I just wanted to say that I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings with what I said. I know there are good dachshunds, my cousin has one in fact. I've just been made fairly bitter living with this particular one :p
I was just teasing and I hope no one thinks my feelings are actually hurt. :p I know for a fact Jonas is a insufferable little man who only gets along well with me and, to a lesser extent, my boyfriend. And as a groomer I've met some awful doxies.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Come on guys, they're not that bad. Sure they're stubborn, you just have to be more stubborn. Maybe it's just not hard for me since I'm a taurus and i'm married to a taurus, and my best friend and my daddy are taureans as well. My inner circle is infiltrated with intensely stubborn and opinionated ppl, why not my dogs too? One of the doxies is a taurus too, and she's the more stubborn one. I have found that it takes longer with them than Cerb to teach them something, but one they get it, they stick with it. Well, mine do. You just have to have patience, consistency, and stubborness greater than the dogs.
Ha! What a great insight into Taurus as well as dachshunds. I saw a young athletic springer in the dog park today going after balls as if they were ducks and never tiring although he got goofy on the way back now and then. I'd say that dog was more a Sagittarius. LOL.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts