Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I feel for you Conrad. A friend had a pair of doxxies that, IMO, were not trained and were very annoying. She gave them to a better home (which was best for the dogs).

That said, have you tried a trash can that cannot be easily tipped over? There are some that have a thingie you have to depress in order for the top to open. You can get them everywhere for about $100 (or less). That might solve one of the problems.

As for the others, you have your work cut out for your but I hope that your wife pitches in with the training. If you do it all and she does not reinforce it, you work will have been for nothing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I agree with RonE, those short little buggers are smart. We're finally cracking down on our little girl doxie, and since my husband and I have both been consistant, her behavior has improved so much, it's amazing. Also, I've found spending individual time with her has helped, so I agree with the seperate training sessions for each dog. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That said, have you tried a trash can that cannot be easily tipped over? There are some that have a thingie you have to depress in order for the top to open. You can get them everywhere for about $100 (or less).
I love, love, LOVE covered trash cans! I got mine for about $15, but I used to have a heavy duty, fancy-looking shiny metal one that I got for $30. It solved the trash digging problems here permanently! Also, not allowing the dogs in the kitchen when I wasn't in there helped.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Reading all the responses here I am sort of laughing. In my response I tried to stay out of the whole "but they are Dacshunds.." thing.

That being said, there are a few breeds of dog I will never own.. because I am not sure who would see the Grim Reaper First.. Me or the Dog... or we might both reach him at the same time.. Doxies are a breed I would never own.

As WVasko often says, "A man has to know his limitations.." Well so does a woman.. and Dacshunds are on my list of limitations. Right next to Bungee Jumping and Sky Diving....

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Elana, I'm right there with you...doxies and pugs...no offense to either breed owners but I really don't like them, except as puppies (where just about any breed is cute!). We have "Pug Day" every first Sat of the month at the dog park and I try to get there early or not at all.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Well, you need to teach them what you WANT them to do instead of yelling at them when they do something you don't want. Start Here...

To teach "Leave It"
Doggy Zen

Teaching to walk politely on a leash...
Loose Leash Walking Using Positive Reinforcers

And stop giving them freebies! Make them have to earn everything they get
NILIF (nothing in life is free)

Also, gate off the kitchen or put the garbage out of their reach (mine's in the Garage thanks to having a dobe that likes to trash surf and is smart enough to figure out how to get into the trash even with a lid)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I can stand a pug. NO Doxies, never. Used to own on when I was a kid, great dog. But I would never try another one.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
NO Doxies, never.
I'm chuckling here, but it's a nervous chuckle.

The OP is already thinking his wife's dogs are the Spawn of Satan and I don't know if ya'll are helping much. :D

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'm chuckling here, but it's a nervous chuckle.

The OP is already thinking his wife's dogs are the Spawn of Satan and I don't know if ya'll are helping much. :D
If he's put up with them for this long, I don't think we will change his mind. I have no great love for many other breeds (too many to name here) so I'm not picking on just his...;)

Oh, and Ron, it's spelled Y'ALL (you got the ' in the wrong spot) :D

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Oh, and Ron, it's spelled Y'ALL (you got the ' in the wrong spot) :D
Well ####, that's the way I learned it in Houston. (Rice University 1969-73.) I always suspected there was a huge hole in my education.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Well ####, that's the way I learned it in Houston. (Rice University 1969-73.) I always suspected there was a huge hole in my education.
You probably learned it from another brainy Yankee who didn't know the difference, but that's ok, I won't hold it against you. It's a contraction of you all, hence the spelling y'all.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Conrad but I had to set Ron straight! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My doxie is the love of my life. My little man. He's very brilliant. The problem is I adopted him at 3, and his life before hand was abuse and very little human contact. He didn't receive any training, so he was a "bad" dog. Pooped all over the house, chewed things up, bit, etc. Now a year later he's fully potty trained, walks very well on the leash, doesn't chew any thing, hasn't bitten anyone, and has picked up quite a few tricks.

Don't be scared away from helping the dogs, or assume it's just because they're Dachshunds. They can be stubborn, but I'm biased and think they're worth it in the long run. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Dachshunds are one of the most stubborn breeds I have ever met. Training is key, and it has to start early and happen daily. Unfortunately, I was young when our family got our dachshund and did not know this.

I would never own another dachshund. He is the most destructive dog I have ever met. Tearing out the trash is the least of our worries with this guy. Luckily, he is old now and less destructive.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Come on guys, they're not that bad. Sure they're stubborn, you just have to be more stubborn. Maybe it's just not hard for me since I'm a taurus and i'm married to a taurus, and my best friend and my daddy are taureans as well. My inner circle is infiltrated with intensely stubborn and opinionated ppl, why not my dogs too? One of the doxies is a taurus too, and she's the more stubborn one. I have found that it takes longer with them than Cerb to teach them something, but one they get it, they stick with it. Well, mine do. You just have to have patience, consistency, and stubborness greater than the dogs.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Maybe it's a small dog thing. I've often noticed that owners with smaller dogs do less training and let them get away with a lot of things that would be intolerable of a bigger dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
I'll tell a little story about why I love dachshunds.

We got a runt dachshund when I was six - our first family dog. She was affectionate, smart and not especially hard to train.

When I'd go to bed, she'd come with me and curl up under the blankets down by my feet. One night, my older sister came to retrieve her (which she had no business doing) and that 12 pound dog went for her throat.

I thought it was the coolest thing a dog could possibly do and I never underestimated a dachshund again.

Either did my sister.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, like getting in the trash. It's more a problem with the female... But if we leave the room for 5 minutes, we'll come back to trash all over the kitchen floor.
now i know this trick as worked good with my puppy, but i have never trained an older dog...

If i catch my puppy doing something bad, I squirt him with a water pistol. If hes jumping and trying to grab the leash during a walk, I squirt him and his mood completely changes, he calms down and says, "if i do that i'll get all wet and nasty"...

Now this can also help you. If your dog tears apart your trash and 5 minutes later you see him sitting on the couch, You think of spraying him but it wont make sense. If you take him to the trash and spray him, it wont make sense, But if you spray him while hes tearing apart the trash can he'll feel very naughty and after a few times he wont do it again. Sometimes you really have to sneak up on them or just wait in the next room for a couple minutes if you know hes going to do it, maybe they'll learn that they are being watched at all times if they cant hear you coming. I think you're supposed to try and aim for their nose.. but my dog hates getting squirted anywhere on the face.

It also doesnt seem to give a dog the attention satisfaction that grabbing or spanking would, because you are still 10 feet away from him, and give a simple calm verbal command, "no", he gets no attention, gets water in his nose, he hates it, He'll learn fast.

Now you have larger dogs, Maybe you should find something better than a tiny pistol, maybe a small pump water gun (I'm not saying soak him, but something with enough pressure that a large dog will take notice. Think kitchen sink hose sprayer strength.

But we don't even have to say anything.... As soon as she sees/hears one of us she's gone.
Possibly if he hates getting squirted in the face enough, he will remember better than diggin in the trash is bad, where verbal commands or even a small spank wont do enough

Anythoughts on if this makes any sense lol?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts