Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know i see a lot on here to adopt dogs and puppies from the dog shelters and i was wonder why not save the ones from a byb( back yard breeder)I am not talking about the ones you have to pay for. I am talk about the free mutts that you see every week in the papers? wouldn't that be better especial if you are looking for a big dog ? I am just curious ???

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've always felt I would take a pet from someone if I knew that the people had a good reason for having to give up the animal (rehoming an animal they found as a stray, etc) but otherwise, I prefer to adopt from a shelter. If people want to breed irresponsibly, then I think they should have to live with the guilt of giving the animal to a shelter. Otherwise they might think that it was all ok, since the animal went to a good home.
Maybe I'm just being petty.

But aside from that, shelters will often spay/neuter the animals before adopting them out, they will have a vet look over the animal, and often also a behaviorist. By going to a shelter, the price I paid for adoption fee was well below what I would have paid to have my dogs spayed (neither were spayed when they came to the shelter). I also knew what to expect from them in terms of behavioral problems, etc. If I had gotten the animal from a byb, they could have easily lied to me to get rid of the dog.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Adopting from a "Free puppies" poster *might* save a dog from ending up in the shelter but adopting from a shelter gets one out that needs the adoption ASAP. I don't think you'll pick up any bad karma from going one way or the other. Paying any fees at the shelter however directly supports their efforts.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I go to a rescue/shelter because I feel that those animals are in imminent danger of losing their lives. The " free " puppies in my personal opinion are not a bad thing. I also find it monetarily less expensive to adopt a shelter/rescue dog who has already been spay/neutered and utd on vaccines through the rescue/shelter. I feel good about paying the fee and possibly sponsoring another dog in need in the same facility.

Sick animals whether from a shelter or a " free " litter are always going to be a risk as far as health no matter which you choose to do.

I will not pay for a BYB animal again. I feel 99% positive that I just lost my heart dog due to him being a BYB pup with no health testing ever done with his parents. I still have his littermate Brother Blu Boy ... had them since they were 12 weeks old ... and cringe every time he looks under the weather now ........

Never again!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It's probably all a matter of opinion here. My first response would be that shelter dogs have seen a vet! Now, if you're talking about someone who has hard records proving vet care has been provided throughout the dog's life (no matter how short or long), and if they seem to have a solid reason for letting the dog go, then that's between the two of you. However, pups in a box being handed out free have probably not been given shots or de-wormed...whereas pups from a shelter probably have at least gotten some basic care. Plus, as previous posters have said, dogs in a shelter are in imminent danger of losing their lives. And if we're talking no-kill shelter...well, I'd rather give some money to them so that they can keep helping animals AND empty a spot for another dog that needs one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know i see a lot on here to adopt dogs and puppies from the dog shelters and i was wonder why not save the ones from a byb( back yard breeder)I am not talking about the ones you have to pay for. I am talk about the free mutts that you see every week in the papers? wouldn't that be better especial if you are looking for a big dog ? I am just curious ???
Usually the "free mutts" are from accidental litters, which is not really a BYB. In that case I wouldn't consider it ethically wrong to take one of those dogs. These dogs either need a home or will go to a shelter and you aren't really supporting the BYB system. However the owners should be strongly encouraged to get their dogs fixed...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Frequently, puppies being given away in a box are in imminent danger of losing their lives. . .do you think that if they aren't taken the people will just bring them home and continue to pour money into feeding them? Not likely. A lot of them swing by the river on the way home. Or leave the box in a ditch. Or call Uncle Mike to bring his .22 rifle. So between that and a crummy city shelter there really is no difference.

From a good shelter, though, you get a pretty good deal. You can get a vet-checked, temperment-tested, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, heartworm tested, etc. dog, usually for less than half of what that would cost if you had it all done by your vet.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
BYBs will never give their puppies away. BYBs are regular people who feel the need to breed their animals just because in order to make money from them without regards for ultimate health or overall quality of the pet.
Most Free Puppies in the ADs are either strays taken in or accidental litters.

Now, with getting puppies from the free ADs, you're helping a person out, you're potentially saving a puppy from being put into the pound. On the other hand, sometimes you have people who won't accept the heartbreak of handing over to a shelter and will keep the puppies until they find homes.
With shelter dogs, it's basically a one shot deal. They're there for many different reasons, none of which are of their fault, and they will either get adopted, or they'll be put down.
When you weigh the options, would you rather save a dog in imminent death or save a dog that's already in a home and will potentially remain in that home?

·
Registered
529 Posts
When you weigh the options, would you rather save a dog in imminent death or save a dog that's already in a home and will potentially remain in that home?
On the flip side if the person is giving away the puppies for free they may be desperate to get rid of them and they may be facing imminent death as well. Also depends on whether your local shelters are no-kill or not...lots of variables to consider.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
When I got Susie, I had been looking at the dogs in the SPCA but had not seen any that I wanted. I got her through an ad on the radio and she was from an "oops" litter, not a backyard breeder as she was giving them away free. She did not even know who the father was but suspected it was a Lab x Border Collie running around the neighborhood. She certainly was not doing it to make money and only had two of them left when I picked her up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Usually the "free mutts" are from accidental litters, which is not really a BYB. In that case I wouldn't consider it ethically wrong to take one of those dogs. These dogs either need a home or will go to a shelter and you aren't really supporting the BYB system.
I agree. Also, a dog may have been returned to a breeder (or even a byb) and they can't bear to take it to the pound and want to rehome it themselves.

I contacted a breeder to get a spanish water dog and she had an 8 month old that she had kept to show but them her ears got too long and she got too big, etc, and didn't meet the specs. She wasn't crazy about herding either so she offered her to me at a discount (which could not have come even close to covering all the money she invested in this dog). I got a great deal and a fabulous dog. The breeder got all misty when she left her. She'd grown attached to her and there was no way this dog was going to end up at a pound. But when she found an opportunity to rehome her with a nice family, she thought it was best.

I wouldn't automatically turn away a free dog without more info--they may just not have the heart to abandon a dog to a shelter.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I know a number of people who have pity purchased dogs from people who had bred irresponsibly. When you take the pup off their hands (especially if you paid for it) you encourage them to breed the next litter. There are mostly "big dogs" at the shelters. If you aren't interested in a health tested, sound temperamented dog from a good breeder, shelter or rescue would be my next option.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I know a number of people who have pity purchased dogs from people who had bred irresponsibly. When you take the pup off their hands (especially if you paid for it) you encourage them to breed the next litter. There are mostly "big dogs" at the shelters. If you aren't interested in a health tested, sound temperamented dog from a good breeder, shelter or rescue would be my next option.
Exactly this. Also I just nearly fell out of my chair when I found out that we agreed on something! :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
A lot of good points are being made on here and I can't say that I really disagree with any. True, few BYBs are out to give away a puppy for free. Sure, some will due to whatever the situation may be that they don't think they'll get the pup sold and they happen to be the type that would rather give it away, but then there are of course those who will tell you whatever it takes to get that same puppy sold for a profit. Then there's the point that I would think is the case more often than not in the freebie pups, the oops litter that wasn't wanted or planned and folks just trying to find good homes for the puppies.

When it all comes down to it, you find what fits you best wherever you find it, and if you're ok with it, that's what matters. I'm not a fan of paying large sums of money for dogs, aside from those that are bred/purchased to serve a specific purpose and thus have been bred/raised/trained/whatever for such, and obviously there's usually a cost that comes with such. But for a pet? I think it's crazy. That's just personal opinion.

Of course, I found my dog on Craigslist. Too many on here, that's an instant taboo. No, that's not where I'd have first gone if I had truly been looking for a dog at the time, but one thing led to another and I came across him practically free ($20 while coming with probably $100 worth of stuff total...plus the dog lol), and after calling the guy, I knew it wasn't likely a bad deal. Went to his home, met Jax, and after he calmed down from the initial energetic meeting, it was apparent that he was a decently mannered dog given the situation (was a fellow Soldier with major health issues, obviously was wanting a companion dog but got too young, too energetic of a dog and Jax was stuck spending most of his time on a chain or in a small crate inside). For this reason, I knew I was doing a decent thing because here was a dog that needed a home because this guy wouldn't be keeping him much longer regardless, because he simply couldn't.

There are those cases where you very well may be saving a dog that will end up in the pound or worse off if not adopted/purchased/etc, and of course adopting from a pound/shelter is a great thing because of all the reasons given by others. Vet care/costs, depending on time there and how the dog ended up there the staff may be able to give some insight to temperament/personality, may be PTS soon if not adopted, etc.

I think what the majority will agree on though is the fact that if you pay any significant amount (more than a small "rehoming" fee) to a BYB, you're not likely doing any good in the long run. That person is just going to go on thinking that what they're doing is alright because they're finding homes for the animals and turning a profit. And $400 is NOT a rehoming fee for most any dog, let alone a puppy, as some Craigslist ads will claim.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
IF you get a dog from a BYB, you support the BYB's activities and encourage them to continue.

It aids in continuing the cycle.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
When it all comes down to it, you find what fits you best wherever you find it, and if you're ok with it, that's what matters. I'm not a fan of paying large sums of money for dogs, aside from those that are bred/purchased to serve a specific purpose and thus have been bred/raised/trained/whatever for such, and obviously there's usually a cost that comes with such. But for a pet? I think it's crazy. That's just personal opinion.

And $400 is NOT a rehoming fee for most any dog, let alone a puppy, as some Craigslist ads will claim.
Actually, the amount usually paid for a dog is the least of the expenses of ownership. I paid more for a new washer and dryer. As to whether $400 is a rehoming fee - depends. It's on the high end, but if it includes vet visits and S/N, may not be too far off reasonable in some locations. (I'm in the middle of the country, so prices aren't what they are on the coasts. But the last dog I found a home for cost about 200 in vaccines, HW test, etc. And his neuter was over 100.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Seems like there's a lot of varying opinions on the difference between BYBs and people with oops puppies/strays who need homes. >_>

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
IF you get a dog from a BYB, you support the BYB's activities and encourage them to continue.

It aids in continuing the cycle.
I certainly agree. But I try to describe the breeding situation instead of categorize the breeder. According to HSUS and PeTA anyone who breeds either fits into the BYB or Puppy Mill. I'm not supporting either small scale or large scale breeders who do it for the cash only (though I don't think it is criminal for a breeder who is successful enough to make a bit of profit off their hard work) but I do think that it is easier to categorize and condem people than it is to look at who they really are.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Actually, the amount usually paid for a dog is the least of the expenses of ownership. I paid more for a new washer and dryer. As to whether $400 is a rehoming fee - depends. It's on the high end, but if it includes vet visits and S/N, may not be too far off reasonable in some locations. (I'm in the middle of the country, so prices aren't what they are on the coasts. But the last dog I found a home for cost about 200 in vaccines, HW test, etc. And his neuter was over 100.
Yep even if you spend $500-800 or more on the dog initially, you will be spending far more than that raising the dog. I don't think it matters if its a pet or not. You may pay large amounts of money up front for a well bred dog, however that dog is less likely to have health issues down the road than a poorly bred dog. Who knows, that free dog may end up costing more in the long run.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts